Tomo MPH

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Tip of the cap to Reforest....Tomo will be finishing with the XTR option. Im glad I got my last order in, seems a few others did too. The xtr/tomo combo has supplied me with some great durable boars, the FST was just too brittle for what I needed.
Don't you mean LFT? FST was the old lay up with the deck/bottom skins and balsa rails. Tough as nails.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Don't you mean LFT? FST was the old lay up with the deck/bottom skins and balsa rails. Tough as nails.
God, LFT is fragile. IMO. I never snapped one, but constant little dings from normal use.
FWIW the tomo EPS customs from Oz are great quality. I don’t love the idea of shipping a boar across the world tho, so doubt I will be ordering another
Smurfy pic with bonus kook hat from this week:

09BDA861-81C3-4610-A213-2D106D55DBAD.jpeg

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
FST was sick. Probably too good because it lasted forever. LFT was absolute junk. Magic for the first 6 months, but as @oeste858 said would just ding, ding and ding again. After a year of use my LFT Vader had a totally different outline after suffering all the dings. The XTR Tomos I have had were super durable; I have a 5 year old Hydronaut still going strong, so this news is a shame. Kinda off the Tomos anyway. Only one I would consider would be a 5'8 GMM2 for a bit of extra glide and float. I know others feel the same way...

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I think Dan is trying to get some XPS foam in AUS, so the idea of XPS Tomo models is not totally out of the question, just having them produced by XTR seems to be.

I wonder if poly is too brittle to make a stringerless PU model? :unsure:
Otherwise, I think I prefer EPS/Epoxy for sure.

As far as the new Revo, it looks very interesting! There is a podcast on the Firewire "The Wire" from 2017 and Chris Grow asks Tomo about the step up model he created for Peter Mel and Tomo describes the V Quad Concave (VQC) bottom hull. He says, he added "a quad inside V bottom, so, I had a V -- I have a deep V running all the way through the board -- then, put like a multiple concave through a V, so it almost -- in a very basic sense looks like a jet ski hull."

There was a sample on display at Camp Shred and it looks identical to his QISC. You only notice the difference if you look closely, and then you see it has a subtle V instead of a concave.

Reactions: jkb and oeste858

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I think Dan is trying to get some XPS foam in AUS, so the idea of XPS Tomo models is not totally out of the question, just having them produced by XTR seems to be.

I wonder if poly is too brittle to make a stringerless PU model? :unsure:
Otherwise, I think I prefer EPS/Epoxy for sure.

As far as the new Revo, it looks very interesting! There is a podcast on the Firewire "The Wire" from 2017 and Chris Grow asks Tomo about the step up model he created for Peter Mel and Tomo describes the V Quad Concave (VQC) bottom hull. He says, he added "a quad inside V bottom, so, I had a V -- I have a deep V running all the way through the board -- then, put like a multiple concave through a V, so it almost -- in a very basic sense looks like a jet ski hull."

There was a sample on display at Camp Shred and it looks identical to his QISC. You only notice the difference if you look closely, and then you see it has a subtle V instead of a concave.
You always have the inside info, is the FireWire Revo dims going to be the same as on his website now?

Xtr is a bummer. Realistically I’m never ordering a custom from Aus. Can barely get customs back from socal shapers. his business though; I’m sure he knows what’s best for him and his brand.

Reactions: Aardwolf

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Firewire dims will be different.

It is a bummer, but i think the board quality is going to come out a lot better. XTR had some small things that I think Dan would have caught. For example the double diamond tail on my El Tomo - Dan files down the middle edge of the swallow so it looks nice and clean. Whoever shaped my El Tomo didnt touch up anything so it was just rounded off. Its probably not something most people would catch, but I doubt Dan would have left it like that. Little things like this will be under his control so I think its a benefit to the brand and to the customers.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I know you’re sworn to secrecy, but more or less volume at the same length? Hopefully less. The great thing about the Revo vs the Evo is you could ride it at a somewhat normal length

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I found this online. The thickness seems very thick to me - i think its because of the V and will most likely have a more tapered rail than what is listed.

Revo5'4"18 3/4"2 9/16"26.8L
Revo5'5"19"2 5/8"28.5L
Revo5'6"19 1/4"2 11/16"29.8L
Revo5'7"19 1/2"2 3/4"31.4L
Revo5'8"19 3/4"2 13/16"33.0L
Revo5'9"20"2 7/8"34.7L
Revo5'10"20 1/4"2 15/16"36.5L
Revo5'11"20 1/2"3"38.3L
Revo6'0"20 3/4"3 1/16"40.2L
Revo6'2"21 1/4"3 3/16"44.2L