Tomo MPH

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@cdes!!! Nice to hear from you. Its all that good living right on the sand. :p;)

I actually got a custom Cymatic because the 5'3 felt like too much foam and the 5'2 was too small. Maybe you need a custom too? :unsure: Or I would try a bigger size. The cymatic is such a responsive/quick board that even a size bigger would still work extremely well for the beach breaks in your area (IMO).

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Waxy: I have so much bod tho.
Oeste: interesting about your sizing. I thought you were closer to my size. I can make it work but it’s right on the edge. kind of a “perfect day board” : not too challenging of a paddle but with enough size and steepness to work.
Deforest! Good to hear from you man! Yeah the one I have is definitely on the small side. I can hold it up to an evo that Is supposed to be a half a liter smaller and it looks like the cymatic is the small one. Maybe mine was mislabeled, or maybe I just need to find one the next size up. I have a bud who has one that’s the same size. Maybe I can convince him to let me give his a go.
I’m frothing thinking of a cymatic that isn’t a chore to paddle.

Jan 4, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
So the dad bod is catching up to me and Im having to go up a size on some of my Tomos. It has me wondering about my Cymatic: Do all Cymatics feel like they have less foam than advertised or is it just mine? I have a few boards in the same volume range and they all feel like they're more foam. Anyone else have a similar experience?
I did some YOLOing a couple of days ago and got these two back. Cymatic 5'9, Omni 5'7.

The cymatic is overvolumed for me in theory (I'm 81kgs, 180cm), all my boards are around 31L , so lets see how it goes. Under the arm it doesnt feel like 34l of foam. I had a 5'7 EVO at 33L in timbertek that I ended up selling cause it felt to heavy.

Im hoping this one will be nice for winter and catching waves earlier..

Attachments

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Let me know how you go! Im thinking about making a similar jump from a 5’10 at 36L to a 5’11 at 38.5.

Reactions: ReForest
Jan 4, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
Let me know how you go! Im thinking about making a similar jump from a 5’10 at 36L to a 5’11 at 38.5.
I'm also curious but injured at the time :cautious: torture..

I had a 5'8 Omni before that I felt could be one size down, so I guess this one will be perfect. And a 5'7 Cymatic that felt good so.. lets see how this one goes. Maybe a bit more foam will help in the winter.

Reactions: ReForest

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I did some YOLOing a couple of days ago and got these two back. Cymatic 5'9, Omni 5'7.

The cymatic is overvolumed for me in theory (I'm 81kgs, 180cm), all my boards are around 31L , so lets see how it goes. Under the arm it doesnt feel like 34l of foam. I had a 5'7 EVO at 33L in timbertek that I ended up selling cause it felt to heavy.

Im hoping this one will be nice for winter and catching waves earlier..
nice Tomo two-pack!
Omni is such an under appreciated boar for good waves. I used a 5'9 when the waves got round and chest high +. perfect for beachbreak barrels.
FWIW, I'm 6'0, 180 lbs +/- and my cymatic was a 5'8 and my magic Evo in XTR SL-C is 5'5 @ 30.5L (by far the smallest boar I ride. XTR foam feels more buoyant to me. I'd probably be on a 5'6 stock LFT). All felt perfectly sized for me for the intended conditions. YMMV

Jan 4, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
nice Tomo two-pack!
Omni is such an under appreciated boar for good waves. I used a 5'9 when the waves got round and chest high +. perfect for beachbreak barrels.
FWIW, I'm 6'0, 180 lbs +/- and my cymatic was a 5'8 and my magic Evo in XTR SL-C is 5'5 @ 30.5L (by far the smallest boar I ride. XTR foam feels more buoyant to me. I'd probably be on a 5'6 stock LFT). All felt perfectly sized for me for the intended conditions. YMMV
Seems like a nice plan! The Omni is really underrated, the board is amazing. I think it can go both ways in terms of volume, I would easily surf a bigger one for paddling in bigger surf (the cymatic will do the trick), but the 5'7 is good for what I have here, I surf some punchy beachbreaks that have some push even in smaller size and don't require much paddling to the outside or currents, so its all about little barrels.

Reactions: oeste858
Apr 29, 2013
Oregon
Seems like a nice plan! The Omni is really underrated, the board is amazing. I think it can go both ways in terms of volume, I would easily surf a bigger one for paddling in bigger surf (the cymatic will do the trick), but the 5'7 is good for what I have here, I surf some punchy beachbreaks that have some push even in smaller size and don't require much paddling to the outside or currents, so its all about little barrels.
Agree on the Omni. My buddy has one that I get to ride occasionally. It's over volume and yet it is really responsive. Super easy to catch waves with and navigate currents but plenty of curve in the board for waves that have curve.

Reactions: JTiago and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@bvendley Actually, you can now get Slater Design models custom through Tomo AUS. I assumed XTR was doing the Cymatic, Omni and Sci-fi as well, but not sure after what is going on. You might want to check with XTR to see if they are still making Tomo boards or not.

Here is Tomo's post about Slater Designs models now being available as a custom.
http://instagr.am/p/CO_YFJ2AA4O/

Reactions: oeste858

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Finally got a good feel for the "Revo". Hopefully @spjones123 and @JDJ can add their feelings on this board as well.
Here are my thoughts on it.

DESCRIPTION: This board feels very cruisey/flowy/smooth and transitions from rail to rail effortlessly. The parallel outline seems like it causes the board to drive down the line. The tail rocker on this board is less than the Cymatic but more aggressive than the "Evo". The nose rocker is significant, and higher entry than the Cymatic. The tail width is more pulled-in than compared to the Cymatic (I measured about 1/4 inch on each side). To me, this board feels like a speed machine and seems to excel in almost anything. With an upright fin setup you can make this board go up into the lip but it seems to me that it wants to naturally drive down the line.

DIMS: 5'3" x 18 1/2 x 2 5/16 x 26L.

CONDITIONS: I have only ridden the board in short, junky, beach break conditions in Oceanside, CA. Because the board wants to naturally drive down the line I think a point break wave-type would be an ideal wave condition for this board. However, the rocker is low enough that i think it would suit a reef break as well.

Great all around boar!
Yewww!

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Finally got a good feel for the "Revo". Hopefully @spjones123 and @JDJ can add their feelings on this board as well.
Here are my thoughts on it.

DESCRIPTION: This board feels very cruisey/flowy/smooth and transitions from rail to rail effortlessly. The parallel outline seems like it causes the board to drive down the line. The tail rocker on this board is less than the Cymatic but more aggressive than the "Evo". The nose rocker is significant, and higher entry than the Cymatic. The tail width is more pulled-in than compared to the Cymatic (I measured about 1/4 inch on each side). To me, this board feels like a speed machine and seems to excel in almost anything. With an upright fin setup you can make this board go up into the lip but it seems to me that it wants to naturally drive down the line.

DIMS: 5'3" x 18 1/2 x 2 5/16 x 26L.

CONDITIONS: I have only ridden the board in short, junky, beach break conditions in Oceanside, CA. Because the board wants to naturally drive down the line I think a point break wave-type would be an ideal wave condition for this board. However, the rocker is low enough that i think it would suit a reef break as well.

Great all around boar!
Yewww!
So of Evo, Revo, and Cymatic do you have a favorite? I had a couple Evos and always liked the smaller one best. Still would like to try a Cymatic someday. The bat tail and thinner rails make it seem less tracky.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Revo to Cymatic comparison
Pardon my ignorance, but if you just lift the tail up a bit wouldnt the nose and tail rockers be equal? Then it would matter precisely where you stand in relation to those rockers. Is where you stand on the board where it sits on the floor? Just babbling out load...

Reactions: sh3

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Okay @MrSteve... now you've forced me geek out on this.

I believe that where the board sits on the floor, is where I stand on the board in the water.

For example, if you lay a board down on the floor and step down on the tail area… and then gently pat your foot upward towards the middle until the board doesn’t teeter anymore… Then you know you’ve reached the center or the “sweet spot” of the board.

Then do the same thing from the nose… pat your foot in the nose area downward until the board doesn’t teeter anymore – that is the center point.

Have you ever ordered a board with the right amount of volume and width, but too short so it bogs when you stand up, or you catch a rail on a turn? That because your front foot is above the center point of the board and the board isn’t able to push through the water because there is too much pressure on the nose.

So I think laying them on the ground is a fairly good way to compare rockers. Geez… now I am the one babbling…

Reactions: MrSteve

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
So of Evo, Revo, and Cymatic do you have a favorite? I had a couple Evos and always liked the smaller one best. Still would like to try a Cymatic someday. The bat tail and thinner rails make it seem less tracky.
Cymatic is amazing. But I like the way the Revo is a little longer. If you havent tried a Cymatic you should... its a lot of fun.

Reactions: SD_Dan