Tomo MPH

May 10, 2018
A couple of weeks ago I asked on here about the sci fi 2. Last week I pulled the trigger and bought one during my work lunch break. I was umming and ahhing for about 30 minutes between the 5'9 and 5'10. Ended up with the 5'9 (30L) and I'm glad I did as it floats me perfectly (5'11, 80kg / 176 pounds) without being too floaty . The 5'10 at 32L would have been a boat. Had about 6 surfs on it in small waves to shoulder high and it grovels at least as well as my previous Black Box 2s and 3s. Not sure what the theory is with the bottom concaves but it really accelerates when my back foot is right back on the tail pad. No deck compressions yet and I usually get them after 2 surfs. Very happy with it so far. Looking forward to getting it out in overhead waves.

Dec 27, 2021
Canary Islands
hello, I've been reading the forum for a long time because I find it super interesting. I have been years (since the vanguard "firewire" model came out on the market) it seemed to me the best thing I had ever used, then I bought nano and v4 but as a vanguard none until I bought vader 5.5 "!! improved evolution of the vanguard !! and that has been my board for all these years simply because it is brutal !! here the problem arises that it is already widely used and firewire no longer manufactures it. From the Canary Islands it is impossible to order directly from Daniel (volume). Can someone who has surfed with vader and now tried new models tell me which one looks more like vader? Today I tested cymatic 5.6 but I don't know if it is because of the same measure I must test 5.5 but it seemed very wide and it did not look like vader. Thank you, I hope I can get out of doubt !!

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
hello, I've been reading the forum for a long time because I find it super interesting. I have been years (since the vanguard "firewire" model came out on the market) it seemed to me the best thing I had ever used, then I bought nano and v4 but as a vanguard none until I bought vader 5.5 "!! improved evolution of the vanguard !! and that has been my board for all these years simply because it is brutal !! here the problem arises that it is already widely used and firewire no longer manufactures it. From the Canary Islands it is impossible to order directly from Daniel (volume). Can someone who has surfed with vader and now tried new models tell me which one looks more like vader? Today I tested cymatic 5.6 but I don't know if it is because of the same measure I must test 5.5 but it seemed very wide and it did not look like vader. Thank you, I hope I can get out of doubt !!
XTR still makes them. Their shipping charges are very reasonable as well.

Reactions: ReForest
Dec 27, 2021
Canary Islands
Reactions: jkb

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
5’5 Vader from XTR in grey with channel spray. DO IT NOW! DO IT! YOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Hey buddy, I have a barely used 5'6 Firewire Vader FCS II up for grabs, so if you got a little older and/or heavier that might suit you ;) It's currently located in Germany, which should be easier than getting a board from the states....

Reactions: ReForest

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Page 278! Worldwide. Heavy yolo peer pressure, complete cultish-ness going on here Jim Jones would be humbled at the gusto with which you all slam this kool aid. I gotta pull my head out of the sand or something? It is the way right?

Reactions: MathDebater
Jan 4, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
Reactions: Dasucle

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Hello:
I understand your problem. But the Vader is a one of a kind. No other Tomo i've ridden has felt like the Vader. OB1, Deathstar and Cymatic feel similar to the Vader, but that is it, in my experience. You can probably size Cymatic similar to the Vader as well. Other than that, JKB is correct about XTR and it appears several have shared used board options closer to your location.
Hope that helps.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
The Vader is such a sick board. I love those funky nose channels on it. I've had 2 Vaders (one in LFT and one in XTR). The LFT one was a magical board, but it only lasted about a year before it was dog poo. I'd consider ordering another one in XTR when ReForest gets round to ordering that 5'8 GMM2...

Apr 11, 2021
Goodfish, how did you like the xtr vadar? Sizing is crucial I hear, length around chin height. Is that how you sized it? Seems like a sic board, heard an interview with Tomo, said it’s one of his all time favorites.

Reactions: JDJ

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Goodfish, how did you like the xtr vadar? Sizing is crucial I hear, length around chin height. Is that how you sized it? Seems like a sic board, heard an interview with Tomo, said it’s one of his all time favorites.
The XTR Vader was a 5'5 which was one inch longer than the Firewire one I had. It was fun, but it didn't have the magic of the LFT version. Although that might be because I spent a total of 6 weeks riding the LFT version in Indo during which I went down two board short sizes...

Yeah, mine was about chin height. I'm 6'0 and 78kg, but I had that LFT about 7 years ago. If you check out Hydrodynamica on Instagram, you'll see RK shredding much longer MPHs. If I was to get another MPH, I'd go a bit longer. Like a 5'8 GMM2, for example...

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The XTR Vader was a 5'5 which was one inch longer than the Firewire one I had. It was fun, but it didn't have the magic of the LFT version. Although that might be because I spent a total of 6 weeks riding the LFT version in Indo during which I went down two board short sizes...

Yeah, mine was about chin height. I'm 6'0 and 78kg, but I had that LFT about 7 years ago. If you check out Hydrodynamica on Instagram, you'll see RK shredding much longer MPHs. If I was to get another MPH, I'd go a bit longer. Like a 5'8 GMM2, for example...
Never a missed opportunity!