Tomo MPH

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
early thoughts from the man himself

Mine is round nose 5'10 tuned for reefs and powerful waves. Not so good in smaller stuff but so much hold and control in juice.

Nano would be my daily driver tomo
V4 would be my HPSB
Hydronaut is my step up

Reactions: sh3 and donger

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
So agree with goodfish on the drops. At first you are tripping now way I can make this , then you get a few under your belt and it’s on!
took mine to indo and rode as quad and thruster . Blew my mind at rifles, oh fook not gonna make this oh fook oh fook. What I made it , sh!t now I am deep oh fook oh fook wow I made the section its throwing again oh sh!t hahahaha best day ever!

For me the naut excels at :
steep and late drops, holding a line in hollow waves, making unmakeable sections and paddle power to maneuverability ratio
Agreed. Had many moments like that on the Hydronaut. The nose and tail rocker on it is the only time I can honestly say I can feel the benefit of this particular feature on a surfboard. Really mental feeling.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Found the Tomo quads work really well in my wide diamond tail groveller. The board has tonnes of planing area so speed generation isn't an issue. The narrow base in the fins helps a lot with initiating turns and the swept back paddle then helps control the turn on such a wide tail. I reckon these find would go well in a VS manta as well IMG_20211202_080517_HDR.jpg
Ive yet to give them a run in my Nano.

• Love
Reactions: ReForest and sh3

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
That looks fun as all hell, like a squash tail V4.

May 10, 2018
I know Slater Designs are not popular around here but I have been eyeing off the sci fi 2 since it came out. Anyone got a ride report? Rumour has it that they have improved the extreme yellowing with newer batches of LFT. I hate boards going yellow. Anyone got experience with a newish one (say a 2021 board) and can report on the white (or yellow) factor?

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
I know Slater Designs are not popular around here but I have been eyeing off the sci fi 2 since it came out. Anyone got a ride report? Rumour has it that they have improved the extreme yellowing with newer batches of LFT. I hate boards going yellow. Anyone got experience with a newish one (say a 2021 board) and can report on the white (or yellow) factor?
I got a board in their Helium construction last year. It has stayed pretty white a year later. I did have an older used Slater Omni for a while and that was already a little yellow when I bought it from the former owner.

I think FW has been selling tinted boards lately too so that might help the yellowing issue.

Reactions: noise

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The Sci-fi 2.0 was a board I was really looking forward to because it has the QISC that the 1st Sci-fi did not have... however after riding one for about a month the outline was too wide for my liking and I didn't really like the way it rode and looked on me. I did like the rocker on it a lot. It has a lot more rocker than the OG Sci-fi. Definitely more of a performance board rocker. I think a custom Sci-fi 2.0 would be sick!

As far as yellowing goes, Firewire is constantly trying to improve their products through new construction technology, to resins, etc. So, I would not be surprised if they are doing things to keep the board whiter longer. I'll see if i can get some intel on that. :computer:

Also, Slater Designs has allowed Tomo to make those models as customs, so you could get a Sci-fi 2.0, Omni or Cymatic from him direct in AUS with custom dims. I think you might even be able to order those models custom from XTR. :unsure:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
The Sci-fi 2.0 was a board I was really looking forward to because it has the QISC that the 1st Sci-fi did not have... however after riding one for about a month the outline was too wide for my liking and I didn't really like the way it rode and looked on me. I did like the rocker on it a lot. It has a lot more rocker than the OG Sci-fi. Definitely more of a performance board rocker. I think a custom Sci-fi 2.0 would be sick!

As far as yellowing goes, Firewire is constantly trying to improve their products through new construction technology, to resins, etc. So, I would not be surprised if they are doing things to keep the board whiter longer. I'll see if i can get some intel on that. :computer:

Also, Slater Designs has allowed Tomo to make those models as customs, so you could get a Sci-fi 2.0, Omni or Cymatic from him direct in AUS with custom dims. I think you might even be able to order those models custom from XTR. :unsure:
Did you ever compare a Cymatic to SF2.0? I still suspect they are the same plus a couple inches of pointy nose!
I loved the Cymatic BTW. Still have SP2 from xtr

May 10, 2018

Cheers! Would be interested to hear about any intel you can get.

That's interesting about Tomo doing custom sci fis. I will def get in contact with them and see what the deal is.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@oeste858 I did compare the Sci-fi 2.0 and the Cymatic and I noticed the rocker it similar but the outline is obviously different. The Cymatic is more parallel and the Sci-fi 2.0 is more like a shortboard with the wide point forward. I think the Cymatic is the better of the 2.

@noise I spoke to a friend at FW. He said they did actually make a change to the resin.

Reactions: oeste858
May 10, 2018
@oeste858 I did compare the Sci-fi 2.0 and the Cymatic and I noticed the rocker it similar but the outline is obviously different. The Cymatic is more parallel and the Sci-fi 2.0 is more like a shortboard with the wide point forward. I think the Cymatic is the better of the 2.

@noise I spoke to a friend at FW. He said they did actually make a change to the resin.
Legend thanks!

And I got in contact with tomo...they are doing custom scifi 2s. $1220 AUD though

Reactions: JDJ