Tomo MPH

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Hydroshort is a sick board. I wish I hadn't sold mine. What about a Hydronaut? I woulda thought that would go mental in Hawaii. Mine's been an absolute trooper for the last 3 years, handles steep drops so well. Makes you feel really confident when surfing it.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Yes. Probably just me and a few others who tried my V3 Nano. Get the newer version. Mine was pretty foiled so be aware when you’re ordering.

I might order again and ask Dan to use the rocker from the Revo.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Yes. Probably just me and a few others who tried my V3 Nano. Get the newer version. Mine was pretty foiled so be aware when you’re ordering.

I might order again and ask Dan to use the rocker from the Revo.
Im still jealous that you had both new models (Revo and Nano V3).

Reactions: JDJ

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Hydroshort is a sick board. I wish I hadn't sold mine. What about a Hydronaut? I woulda thought that would go mental in Hawaii. Mine's been an absolute trooper for the last 3 years, handles steep drops so well. Makes you feel really confident when surfing it.
Hydronaut is So awesome for drops and barrels. Not so good for turns, at least the way I surf.
my favorite board when I was in Indo and it was barreling. Made one drop I thought was a suicide mission hahahahaha

Reactions: j_mac and Goodfish

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Granted, Timmy is a pro surfer... and granted he is surfing a prototype Hydronaut... he is making that board look super fun!

Reactions: santacruzin
Oct 5, 2021
Do you not find the channels in the HN make it too fast and out of control in big waves? I love the look of the board for trying to outrun barrels but when I reach for a step up (I have a DHD sweet spot) I’m usually after control and slowing things up if anything because the wave is already so fast. Love to try one though. I had my SKX out this morning, been running it as a quad lately which I really enjoy having ridden it almost exclusively as a thruster for couple of years. Wave size a Couple feet overhead on the sets and it is such a fast board, the bottom contours generate so much lift a did have one or two fun loose moments but just has me wonder about how the QISC would go in 6’ plus surf

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I've only ever run it as a thruster, so that adds some control. I can't explain exactly what the channels do for me, but I've had no problem getting barrelled on it. I live in Asia, so most of the barrels have been Indo lefts which means I'm pigdogging them, so it's pretty easy to slow down with a butt and arm drag. The thing I like the best about the Hydronaut is just the way it makes mental drops and just scoops. It must have something to do with the nose shape and the rocker because it never digs, but just autopilots me down ridiculous drops. It has a good wave range too. I only have one, so when I go on a trip I try to save it until it's really necessary, but I've had it out on sucky head high Bingin-style waves. It really comes into its element on anything around DOH. I've had it out in slightly bigger stuff too, but then I'm just trying to survive and not cry rather than get barrelled. I got it in XTR SL-CK with the yellow stuff. It's held up really well in the 4 years I've had it.

Oct 5, 2021
Yeah I imagine it would be unreal in those fast barrelling Indo reef breaks I think the time I notice the channels more is where you are flying down a larger but flatter faced wave and not as much rail engaged. love the sound of how you describe it making those late drops, I have an Indo trip hopefully next year so might keep an eye out so a second hand one.

Reactions: Goodfish

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
So agree with goodfish on the drops. At first you are tripping now way I can make this , then you get a few under your belt and it’s on!
took mine to indo and rode as quad and thruster . Blew my mind at rifles, oh fuck not gonna make this oh fuck oh fuck. What I made it , sh!t now I am deep oh fuck oh fuck wow I made the section its throwing again oh sh!t hahahaha best day ever!

For me the naut excels at :
steep and late drops, holding a line in hollow waves, making unmakeable sections and paddle power to maneuverability ratio