Tomo MPH

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
The SKX is a really solid board. I liked mine a lot.
just curious, aside from GMM2, are you surfing any other tomos these days?
I still have a few, but don't reach for them too often. Need to get back on SP2. Yesterday I pulled it out to put it in the double day boardbag for the car... and was shocked at how yellow it looked compared to the PU Pyzel I ended up riding. Hope XTR's newer resin really does yellow less.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I still have a few, but don't reach for them too often. Need to get back on SP2. Yesterday I pulled it out to put it in the double day boardbag for the car... and was shocked at how yellow it looked compared to the PU Pyzel I ended up riding. Hope XTR's newer resin really does yellow less.
I think I've only gotten one white board from XTR since they changed the resin. It was delivered to me Feb 2020. It's still very white and compared to the older XTR's from early 2019 it's not even close. Obviously it's not a totally fair comparison but I definitely think the newer ones will stay whiter longer.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I don't. Ever since I tried those Burch asyms, they have been my goto hpsb/stap.

If I had the extra cash, I would definitely have a GMM2, hydro-squash, and hydronaut mini quiver.

Reactions: oeste858
Jun 23, 2003
North East
@ReForest have you tried to those Tomo hatchets yet? Waves have been shite here so mine are still in the Evo waiting for a half decent wave to try them in.
I've been riding the "original" Futures Tomo hatchets from last year in an oversized OB1. Expected to hate them, and surprisingly, they feel really good. Plenty of drive and no weird hiccups. I also have a Tomo hand-shape with glass on hatchets (thank you PRCD!!!) that also goes well.

Disclaimer: I've had a love/hate relationship with quads and while I like the instant speed have learned that for whatever reason I very much dislike full foiled rears, even 80/20 don't feel great, and only like flat inside foil. No idea why that has been the case but has been the only constant in many many Tomos and others.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
@ReForest have you tried to those Tomo hatchets yet? Waves have been shite here so mine are still in the Evo waiting for a half decent wave to try them in.
I have carbon FCS ones Dan made me ages ago. Surfed them in slopey big high tide point surf and loved them.

Took them to Indo.
Used them in overhead macaronis . Put them in my V4, did not like it. They felt weird coming off the bottom. And hard to stay in pocket. Probably archer more than arrow but this was my experience.

Mar 19, 2013
Been thinking about getting a hydroshort. All my boards are Futures (but one) so going to go that route if I can find one. What are you guys liking the most for this board? Quad or thruster? Any info would help. Thanks

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Been thinking about getting a hydroshort. All my boards are Futures (but one) so going to go that route if I can find one. What are you guys liking the most for this board? Quad or thruster? Any info would help. Thanks
I have been liking a thruster set up in the hydroshort. I usually only ride it when the waves are good (HH or bigger) so I usually want control over more speed. However, if the waves are super fast and barreling (and i don't think I'll be doing any turns) I'll ride a quad setup.

I like the Firewire fins, AM fins, and Reactor fins for thruster. For the quad ill put a standard template fin on the front, and the Tomo hatchet fins in the rear. The board has great pivot with the neutral template fin in the front, and excellent drive with the hatchet fin in the back -- the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Reactions: obpmem

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
For the quad ill put a standard template fin on the front, and the Tomo hatchet fins in the rear. The board has great pivot with the neutral template fin in the front, and excellent drive with the hatchet fin in the back -- the best of both worlds in my opinion.
can confirm this is a great set up.

Reactions: ReForest

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
can confirm this is a great set up.
@ReForest That’s so interesting. I was curious to try the opposite, thinking hatchet sides plus standard quad rears might provide quicker release at the end of a turn- and avoid the dreaded hiccup that I’ve unexpectedly experienced mid-turn with the hatchets (krypt, not the newer tomo-branded futures/fcs with the cutout)

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@ReForest That’s so interesting. I was curious to try the opposite, thinking hatchet sides plus standard quad rears might provide quicker release at the end of a turn- and avoid the dreaded hiccup that I’ve unexpectedly experienced mid-turn with the hatchets (krypt, not the newer tomo-branded futures/fcs with the cutout)
@oeste858 I am going to try your suggested setup as well. Ya never know until you try.

On another note, I was actually very surprised how much pivot, hold and drive the Webber front with the Tomo hatchet rears had. That is a very interesting set up. I liked it, but only rode it like that twice. @Retropete you should try those Webber front with the new Tomo hatchets in the rear. Very quick to pivot, but surprising hold and drive. Very cool feeling.

To your question, I haven't had a chance to use the Tomo fronts and rears together yet. Im still experimenting with them. But I think i'm going to ride my OB1 with the full Tomo hatchets and see how that goes. That board has a wide tail and is fast as hell, but can get a bit skatey (i think i ordered the rails too full). I have a feeling those hatchets, with the cutout, with provide excellent hold and drive. Im actually excited to try them tomorrow.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
To your question, I haven't had a chance to use the Tomo fronts and rears together yet. Im still experimenting with them. But I think i'm going to ride my OB1 with the full Tomo hatchets and see how that goes. That board has a wide tail and is fast as hell, but can get a bit skatey (i think i ordered the rails too full). I have a feeling those hatchets, with the cutout, with provide excellent hold and drive. Im actually excited to try them tomorrow.
That set up sounds perfect for a GMM2 with a bit of length to it. Bet it would go insane!

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and ReForest