Tomo MPH

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
All this constant buying, selling, switching fins, etc seems like it would take a lot away from actually surfing, and maintaining or improving one's surfing.

Maybe try an experiment: buy a standard, basic all-around CA thruster - maybe a Flyer - throw the fins for the board in it (Merricks) and surf it exclusively for a few months.

Pfffffffffft. Do you know why we come on this forum?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@casa_mugrienta I've actually been riding a 5'8 SKX, set up as a thruster only, and been having a blast on it. Its actually very enlightening. The pulled in tail and pivot of the thruster setup makes the board naturally want to go straight up the face. It took some time to get over the pointy nose but I'm actually preferring it to some of the wider tailed boards (Cymatic, OB1, El Tomo, etc.). Longer board throws more spray too.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
@casa_mugrienta I've actually been riding a 5'8 SKX, set up as a thruster only, and been having a blast on it. Its actually very enlightening. The pulled in tail and pivot of the thruster setup makes the board naturally want to go straight up the face. It took some time to get over the pointy nose but I'm actually preferring it to some of the wider tailed boards (Cymatic, OB1, El Tomo, etc.). Longer board throws more spray too.
Have you ever thought about getting a GMM2 with a bit of length for more glide and spray throwing? It's supposed to be ridden short, but maybe something like a 5'8 would be a good fit?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Are you riding the SKX I sold you or a different one?

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
For every bit of planing you lose on the shoulder, you gain agility in the pocket. As much as I have been on grovelers, love being on a 3 fin going str8 up brah!

• Haha
Reactions: racer1 and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Are you riding the SKX I sold you or a different one?
A different one. I found a used helium SKX. It feels like some of the best surfing I've ever done. Pretty enlightening actually.

Im beginning to think wide tailed quads are harder to pivot than a pulled in thruster. :ROFLMAO: Who woulda thought...

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
For every bit of planing you lose on the shoulder, you gain agility in the pocket. As much as I have been on grovelers, love being on a 3 fin going str8 up brah!
It feels good to go straight up. Harder in smaller waves though. I wish we had better days more often.

Reactions: oeste858

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
A different one. I found a used helium SKX. It feels like some of the best surfing I've ever done. Pretty enlightening actually.

Im beginning to think wide tailed quads are harder to pivot than a pulled in thruster. :ROFLMAO: Who woulda thought...
My tightest pivoting board is a wide tailed thruster.

We won't talk about which model.

:ROFLMAO: