Tomo MPH

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm thinking of joining the YOLO and getting a GMM2. I've wanted one for a while and all this talk about them and the YOLO just make me want one more. The YOLO is also making me order a MOTE...

@jkb You're the foremost GMM2 expert around here, so what kind of dims and construction would you recommend? My best Tomo was a 5'4 Vader, but that was 6 years ago. Since then, I've had a 5'4 Evo that felt too small, 5'6 SP2, 5'5 Vader and a 5'9 Hydroshort. All hovering around 30-31L. I'm 6'0 and 172lbs.

My favourite XTR construction is SL-CK, any reason not to go with that?

If anyone else has any info on a GMM2, please feel free to chime in!
I agree with @oeste858. Somewhere around 6" less than your height is a good starting point. You can go 8" shorter if you surf it in soft, small waves but if there's a little more size or push, I'd stay closer to the 6" less range. 19.5" wide sounds about right to me at that height. Go with whatever thickness gets you to your desired literage.

I go with hpsb volume personally but if you like a little more volume in your grovel boards, go 1 or 2L more. No more than that though. Ask for tapered rails no matter what.

You definitely don't need the carbon since it's a small wave board, but if you like feel of that construction, then just get the same thing. Both my stringered version and the HD stringer version have felt great to me. I had 8.C on both.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I'm thinking of joining the YOLO and getting a GMM2. I've wanted one for a while and all this talk about them and the YOLO just make me want one more. The YOLO is also making me order a MOTE...

@jkb You're the foremost GMM2 expert around here, so what kind of dims and construction would you recommend? My best Tomo was a 5'4 Vader, but that was 6 years ago. Since then, I've had a 5'4 Evo that felt too small, 5'6 SP2, 5'5 Vader and a 5'9 Hydroshort. All hovering around 30-31L. I'm 6'0 and 172lbs.

My favourite XTR construction is SL-CK, any reason not to go with that?

If anyone else has any info on a GMM2, please feel free to chime in!
This is an easy one:

5'7" x 19" x 2-1/2" GMM2.

Just do it. Don't think. Just do it. Works out to just a hair over 30 liters. DO IT.

EDIT: Just read everyone else's responses. I disagree on width. Don't go over 19". It's a super straight rail line with a REALLY wide tail. Just stick to 19" and you will be STOKED.

errrr... I mean STOCKED.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
We're practically the same size, Goodfish. Seriously. I'm 165#. I ordered this one a hair bigger as I just topped 50 this year.

I took some pics so you can see that Bedonkadonk tail on this beauty. I call her my "bar of soap."
1. Deck (dirty)
2. Bottom... check out that tail.
3. Dimensions.... exactly what I quoted you above.
4. QISC bottom
5. Drive train

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
@oeste858 @jkb @sh3 Thanks for confirming my YOLO and helping out with the dims. I'm still playing around with the idea of a 5'6, 5'7 or a 5'8 like the one RK's been surfing recently. I like the idea of a bit of extra foam on a small wave board for more glide and a bit of boatyness. Since owning a Wavestorm, I've realised boatyness can be fun too. Just gonna have a think and see if any friends over here are interested in joining the order, so I don't have to stump up all the shipping myself. If I do that, I might have to order a second board to make it worth it, which would mean I would have a total of 5 boards on order currently...

YOLO!

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@oeste858 @jkb @sh3 Thanks for confirming my YOLO and helping out with the dims. I'm still playing around with the idea of a 5'6, 5'7 or a 5'8 like the one RK's been surfing recently. I like the idea of a bit of extra foam on a small wave board for more glide and a bit of boatyness. Since owning a Wavestorm, I've realised boatyness can be fun too. Just gonna have a think and see if any friends over here are interested in joining the order, so I don't have to stump up all the shipping myself. If I do that, I might have to order a second board to make it worth it, which would mean I would have a total of 5 boards on order currently...

YOLO!
:bowdown::bowdown:

Master YOLO!!!

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and Goodfish

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
We're practically the same size, Goodfish. Seriously. I'm 165#. I ordered this one a hair bigger as I just topped 50 this year.

I took some pics so you can see that Bedonkadonk tail on this beauty. I call her my "bar of soap."
1. Deck (dirty)
2. Bottom... check out that tail.
3. Dimensions.... exactly what I quoted you above.
4. QISC bottom
5. Drive train

View attachment 113055View attachment 113056View attachment 113057View attachment 113059View attachment 113060
Dam Dude! That thing looks so good.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
All this talk and RK's posts inspired me to break out the GMM2 for the first surf in a while. Crap summer reef conditions, but it made the most of it, and got in a couple effortless FS hacks when a shoulder presented itself. Bonus: RK was out on his, showing how it should be done. Always fun and inspiring to watch

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
All his footage is making me want to get mine out too. Between getting a new Banjo and a Manta last year it's been sitting in the garage a lot but I think it's time to dust it off.

Reactions: jkb and ReForest

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
All his footage is making me want to get mine out too. Between getting a new Banjo and a Manta last year it's been sitting in the garage a lot but I think it's time to dust it off.
Yeah, I also did it to spite Deforest, as he keeps asking/talking about it for years now. I'm pretty sure I showed him! LOL.
I don't know how he can consider himself Tomo's #1 Fan without one of these gems in his all-Tomo quiver... Incomplete!