Tomo MPH

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I defer to you. You recall he was tryin out some tomos a couple years ago around the surf ranch event. But no way i'm gonna attempt to argue with your obsessive knowledge of Tomo details. Take it up with Ciaramella: it was linked from the stab review of the cymatic. "it’s worth remembering what Jordy Smith did to Hawaii on his Cymatic this season."
https://stabmag.com/hardware/an-honest-review-of-the-slater-designs-cymatic-surfboard/?stage=Stage

Maybe Jords wanted to try out KS' bullet-nosed cymatic!

Reactions: ReForest
Jun 21, 2021
Looking for some advice. I live in Europe and had a few XTR's in the past. I do love their durability so thinking about ordering a new board in XTR. I do have an EVO 5'5 in Helium. Looking at a new EVO in XTR but I am also very interested in that GMM2 from hydrodynamica.

Can anyone tell me the big differences between the EVO and GMM2?
Thanks!

Reactions: ReForest and JDJ

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Looking for some advice. I live in Europe and had a few XTR's in the past. I do love their durability so thinking about ordering a new board in XTR. I do have an EVO 5'5 in Helium. Looking at a new EVO in XTR but I am also very interested in that GMM2 from hydrodynamica.

Thanks!
@jkb is the only one I know of that has ridden both those boards... I think hes gonna tell you to order the GMM2.
He would be a great person to respond to this question.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Epic little podcast. I liked how he talked about his new hull design (V bottom with quad concave). He actually already brought that up when he introduced the Psykonaut, (but i dont think anyone paid that much attention to it) and dubbed it the "VQC". Its on his website.

VEE QUAD CONCAVE
A totally unique and highly innovative hull configuration. VQC help the board roll into turns effortlessly while providing excellent grip and acceleration once the rail is engaged. It also maintains a lively sensation where some traditional Vee bottoms will feel sluggish.

Reactions: JDJ

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

Thanks!
Evo has a lower rocker and a curvier outline.

GMM2 has a little more curve in the rocker and a straighter outline.

GMM2 will grovel a lot better, but it also has some range up to head high or so. The wide tail will limit you past that.

Evo's low end isn't as good but can go above head high.

I clicked with the GMM2 better because it feels like a magic carpet to me. Probably due to the rocker.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021
@jkb @JDJ Thanks very helpful. Leaning towards an GMM2 at the moment. Which XTR flex construction do you have on your GMM2? Did you order the GMM2 in the same specs as your EVO or did you go up 1 or 2 inches? Just out of curiosity: what specs does your GMM2 have? And what are your specs (weight/height)?

Any other GMM2 riders on this forum? Could you please share your thoughts with me?
Thanks again!

Reactions: JDJ

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm 5'9 and 160lbs

My current GMM2 is 5'1 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/8 with the high density blue stringer and 8.C layup. I also have one that's 4'10 x 18 x 2 1/8, but that's when I was a bit lighter. This one has a traditional wood stringer and 8.C equivalent.

My next one will probably be 5'3 x 18 3/4 x 2 1/8 because I moved to a new area with a bit more water moving over the reefs and some ledgy takeoffs. Not sure what construction I will get yet, but I'm considering a wood stringer, HD blue stringer, and parallel carbon. It definitely will be in 8.C again. I ride this board all the time and get about 4 years out of them.

As you can see from my dims above, these things are pretty versatile. I don't think you have to nail down the size exactly like some other Tomo's. If you're always surfing softer waves (North County San Diego), you can go shorter. If your waves have a bit more power, you can go longer. I always ask for tapered rails though (probably a good practice with any XTR board).

In regards the the Evo, I feel like its too short for the amount of rail curve and volume it has. Volume wise, I would be on a 5'1, but I'd much rather have something like a 5'5 that was thinned out. Too short and chunky, IMO but it some people love it. The REVO looks much better to me.

Reactions: sh3 and ReForest

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I have a Revo. It's all personal feel, but I think it is a much more reasonable board than the Evo (which I also had). With the extra 3 inches at the same volume it paddles around the line up better, has more rail to engage (higher top end same low end) and just feels more like a normal surfboard...to JKB's point you don't have to ride it comically short.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
@jkb @JDJ Thanks very helpful. Leaning towards an GMM2 at the moment. Which XTR flex construction do you have on your GMM2? Did you order the GMM2 in the same specs as your EVO or did you go up 1 or 2 inches? Just out of curiosity: what specs does your GMM2 have? And what are your specs (weight/height)?

Any other GMM2 riders on this forum? Could you please share your thoughts with me?
Thanks again!
I had the same feeling about the GMM2. I call mine my "bar of soap." Got it in stringerless, although for the next one I'd go with the high density insert and red carbon/kevlar lay up. It's AMAZING. It's got much more range and speed than the Evo, IMO, and works insane.

I'm 50 years old, 5'10" and 165 pounds. I usually ride about 29-30 liters of volume (just a general reference point). My GMM2 is my absolute favorite board - even more so than my Cybersim which I loved to pieces - and is 5'7" x 19" x 2-1/2". It's 31 liters, so slightly more than I normally use. I wanted to increase the small size range... and I did. Here's a couple of dirty pics with the dirty bird bath for reference, third one to try and highlight the intricacy of everything going on underneath. I love this board.

GMM2 Deck.jpgGMM2 Bottom.jpgGMM2 Contours.jpg

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I had the same feeling about the GMM2. I call mine my "bar of soap." Got it in stringerless, although for the next one I'd go with the high density insert and red carbon/kevlar lay up. It's AMAZING. It's got much more range and speed than the Evo, IMO, and works insane.

I'm 50 years old, 5'10" and 165 pounds. I usually ride about 29-30 liters of volume (just a general reference point). My GMM2 is my absolute favorite board - even more so than my Cybersim which I loved to pieces - and is 5'7" x 19" x 2-1/2". It's 31 liters, so slightly more than I normally use. I wanted to increase the small size range... and I did. Here's a couple of dirty pics with the dirty bird bath for reference, third one to try and highlight the intricacy of everything going on underneath. I love this board.

View attachment 111785View attachment 111786View attachment 111787
hi steve nice contrast between the bird bath and wax job. gmm2 was super fun, may have to get another.