Tomo MPH

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I will finally get my hands on the Hydroshort. 5'10, Future fins.
I have no experience on Futures... :confused: What's your advice (80kgs)?
AM2 Futures size Large ;) :shaka:

Edit: I have the NVS AM in size Large and they feel really good in the Hydroshort. A little heavy, but I love the template. I ride it as a thruster ;)

Reactions: JTiago

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I'm Hydroshort-curious
aren't you supposed to ride Tomos undervolumed? Is that not true of the Hydroshort bc it has more of a "normal" outline?
there's a used 5'9 with Futures that popped up around me. I'm 5'10 185-190

Reactions: JDJ

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I'm Hydroshort-curious
aren't you supposed to ride Tomos undervolumed? Is that not true of the Hydroshort bc it has more of a "normal" outline?
there's a used 5'9 with Futures that popped up around me. I'm 5'10 185-190
Tomo did an interview with Noel on the review of the Hydroshort and Noel asked a similar question.
Tomo explained it as the Cymatic and Hydroshort being in 2 different categories in his mind. The Cymatic is more of a Planning Hull design and is supposed to be very parallel in the outline, and have a wide squared off nose and ridden as short as possible. The Hydroshort is supposed to bridge the gap between a traditional high performance design but with softer aesthetics - specifically in the nose.

So in my opinion the Modern Planning Hull boards (GMM2, Evo, Vader, Vanguard, Nano, Cymatic, etc.) can be ridden undervolumed, because of their design, but the Hydroshort is meant to be ridden more true to your normal shortboard size and volume.

I think that 5'9 sounds like it would work for you? Im 5'6 - 150lbs and i ride both the stock 5'5 and 5'6 which are both in my liter range.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Tomo did an interview with Noel on the review of the Hydroshort and Noel asked a similar question.
Tomo explained it as the Cymatic and Hydroshort being in 2 different categories in his mind. The Cymatic is more of a Planning Hull design and is supposed to be very parallel in the outline, and have a wide squared off nose and ridden as short as possible. The Hydroshort is supposed to bridge the gap between a traditional high performance design but with softer aesthetics - specifically in the nose.

So in my opinion the Modern Planning Hull boards (GMM2, Evo, Vader, Vanguard, Nano, Cymatic, etc.) can be ridden undervolumed, because of their design, but the Hydroshort is meant to be ridden more true to your normal shortboard size and volume.

I think that 5'9 sounds like it would work for you? Im 5'6 - 150lbs and i ride both the stock 5'5 and 5'6 which are both in my liter range.
yea duuu, but you haven't seen me paddle :drowning: might need a 5'10, hahah
appreciate the insight, thanks!

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and sdsrfr

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I'm 5.10 and 178LBS andI'd personally go for the 5.10 Hydroshort.
Felt one up a little while ago, and the thickness of 2 9/16 felt "right".

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I will finally get my hands on the Hydroshort. 5'10, Future fins.
I have no experience on Futures... :confused: What's your advice (80kgs)?
i’ve never had a Hydroshort but I have a Revo (sits between an Evo and Hydro). It might be a placebo effect, but I’ve always felt the bottom contours add a little grip; and so I’ve liked it most with a little less fin. Not dropping a size less fin. But sets like Dane’s Capitan Fin, where the trailer is decently smaller than the fronts. Have fun!

Jan 4, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
i’ve never had a Hydroshort but I have a Revo (sits between an Evo and Hydro). It might be a placebo effect, but I’ve always felt the bottom contours add a little grip; and so I’ve liked it most with a little less fin. Not dropping a size less fin. But sets like Dane’s Capitan Fin, where the trailer is decently smaller than the fronts. Have fun!
Thanks!

I think Jordy's signature fin, also has a smaller center fin. Maybe a good option as well?

I love the AM 2+1 in FCS2, but I think thats too much for the Hydro

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Its not a placebo effect. I just got a Hydroshort custom from Australia that does not have the QISC, it only has a single concave with slight "V" out the tail. You can definitely feel the difference from the QISC. The single concave feels sticky... like its stuck to the water more and does not have the same lift. It also feels like it has less traction on rail. It was a very interesting experiment. It definitely makes you realize how "on it" Daniel is with his theories and those bottom contours.

The board still feels good, and its a pin tail, so im gonna give it a go in some larger surf, but Daniel is definitely onto something with his hull designs.

Reactions: j_mac and oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I dropped down from L to M fins in the SP2 /Cymatic bat tail tomos I’ve had. I assumed it was those tail points really gripping wave when turning. Never ridden his non-MPH boards like HS tho so can’t speak to that.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
FYI: Tomo is now offering customs on the Omni, Sci-fi, and Cymatic in his Australian Tomo-tech.

I have been asking about a custom sci-fi for almost 3 or 4 years! Stoked that those models are finally available for custom order.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
FYI: Tomo is now offering customs on the Omni, Sci-fi, and Cymatic in his Australian Tomo-tech.

I have been asking about a custom sci-fi for almost 3 or 4 years! Stoked that those models are finally available for custom order.
crazy I got mine custom when Dan started making the Sci Phi. Was curious when that was , just checked the email exchange and it was in 2014! Is it a vintage now?

fuck time flies and it might be time for an upgrade. I expect you will be ordering a full quiver? :)

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
crazy I got mine custom when Dan started making the Sci Phi. Was curious when that was , just checked the email exchange and it was in 2014! Is it a vintage now?

fook time flies and it might be time for an upgrade. I expect you will be ordering a full quiver? :)
Crazy... you have been ordering Tomo's for a loooong time. I just went through the Tomo thread and found some awesome photos and information. Also confirmed some jealousy suspicions about GG (hehe).

If anyone is interested in sharing shipping costs, i am thinking about placing an order in the next month or so. If Tomo is shaping Slater Designs now, an Omni or Sci-fi might be sick! Maybe even a Cymatic? :unsure:

That bullet nose Cymatic Kelly had looked pretty freakin amazing!

Feb 9, 2019
A while back someone mentioned they used a quad setup on their psyko. I use quad on the vanguard and it works, so much speed. The tail seems to help the pivot when needed.
Im back and forth on the sci-fi with 3/4 fins, conditions are the key factor.
Back to the psyko, I use it when its good, xtr 7.0 with the stringer. Its bullet proof but is a bit on the heavy side. Anyway I have tried many setups as a thuster trying for more pivot and to stop the tomo habit of too much speed off the bottom and barrell dodging. I had tried it two years ago as a quad and was bogging rail and immediately swapped it out. I had a crack at the quad again last week or so, it brought the board alive. Its been a board for certain conditions up till now bit its gone way up the list as an allrounder. The change has me baffled and I still cant work it out but Im stocked.
For the tomos i sort of go a large fin but less base, neutral sweep as too much base and those concaves seem to lift and flatten the turns too much.
Anyway, thanks to the erbber who made me try it out again
20210508_082008.jpg