Tomo MPH

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
NCSD v Central Cal. "Hey this 5'1 Death Star should be good up here." First swell hits: "Can someone point me toward a 7'4 mini gun"
The swell has been perfect for board testing. Rode @jkb 's old deathstar today felt perfect. Definitely a small learning curve since i've been riding more traditional style boards, but still so much fun! Stoked on the board JKB! ;):shaka:

• Love
Reactions: JDJ, jkb and Havoc
Jan 4, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi guys,

For those who have the hydroshort, can I have some advice on volume?

Im 81Kg (plus 4/3 wetsuit) surfing average (small) waves. Is the 6'0 at 34.7L too much? I could grab a 2nd hand one but it feels to big for me. I usually surf around 31L..

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Hi guys,

Im 81Kg (plus 4/3 wetsuit) surfing average (small) waves. Is the 6'0 at 34.7L too much? I could grab a 2nd hand one but it feels to big for me. I usually surf around 31L..
I have three different Hydroshorts. One is a 5’5 and the two other ones are 5’6. I think the design has a wide outline and could be sized down unless you’re surfing big waves then I would size it like your normal short board Volume.

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Hi guys,

I haven’t surfed the Hydroshort, but based on my other Tomo board experience I would not over volume his designs. Especially if you get the Firewire Helium version.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: JTiago and oeste858
Oct 26, 2016
Hi guys,

Yes, 6’ is too big. Stay with your usual vol, so a 5.10 would be good...

Reactions: JTiago and JDJ
Jan 4, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
I haven’t surfed the Hydroshort, but based on my other Tomo board experience I would not over volume his designs. Especially if you get the Firewire Helium version.

Hope that helps.
Thanks! I think I will be able to grab a 5'10 second hand.

Agree, I had almost all of Tomo's boards, never more than 33L, except this last 5'7 Timbertek Evo. Although I surfed well something was off compared to a previous 5'6 LFT, don't know if its overvolumed, if it's due to the material or i'm just overthinking it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: ReForest and SD_Dan
Jan 4, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
Turns out its a 5'9 (29.8L), but I think i'll go for it, although I would feel more confident with a little more volume.

Also there is a 5'7 Omni and 5'5 Helium Evo available..

Which would you add to the Hydro?

Jul 15, 2008
Turns out its a 5'9 (29.8L), but I think i'll go for it, although I would feel more confident with a little more volume.

I´m 75Kg and I have a 5´8 Hydroshort (28,3 liters). I also have a 5´4 EVO Timbertek (29 liters) and a 5´6 Omni (29,4). The Omni is the board I use for bigger waves (overhead) with some punch. It does not like soft waves or smaller waves.

The EVO is an unreal board. So much fun and I like the construction a lot. It overlaps with the Hydroshort. I would say that the EVO is better in smaller waves, and the Hydroshort has more upper range.

Hope it helps.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020

The Omni and Hydroshort have a similar range. The Hydroshort is more of an everyday all-arounder vs. the Omni is suited for more hollow waves (due to the rocker template). The Evo is more of an all-arounder as well, however with the full rails and wide retangular outline it gets a bit skatey in bigger surf.

I personally would get the Evo for the smaller or mushier waves and keep the Hydroshort for everything else. :shaka:

Reactions: JDJ and JTiago
Jan 4, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
The Omni and Hydroshort have a similar range. The Hydroshort is more of an everyday all-arounder vs. the Omni is suited for more hollow waves (due to the rocker template). The Evo is more of an all-arounder as well, however with the full rails and wide retangular outline it gets a bit skatey in bigger surf.

I personally would get the Evo for the smaller or mushier waves and keep the Hydroshort for everything else. :shaka:
:shaka: Thanks!

Sorry for the size questions.. Not easy when you dont have demo days.. :rolleyes:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Sad day for me.

Just sold my magic Hydronaut. A fantastic board that got me a lot of good waves, but just wasn't realistic for my current situation. I hate selling magic boards, but sometimes you just have to let them go. :cry:

I'm confident it went to a good home though.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Sad day for me.

Just sold my magic Hydronaut. A fantastic board that got me a lot of good waves, but just wasn't realistic for my current situation. I hate selling magic boards, but sometimes you just have to let them go. :cry:

I'm confident it went to a good home though.
I'm sorry for your loss. lol. You should find comfort that your boards went to good homes though. Nothing worse that selling a magic board to someone that wont appreciate it or that wont value it for what its worth. Got any pics on that one?

Reactions: jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm sorry for your loss. lol. You should find comfort that your boards went to good homes though. Nothing worse that selling a magic board to someone that wont appreciate it or that wont value it for what its worth. Got any pics on that one?
Thanks man. I know this one, the Psyko, and the Deathstar went to good homes. I will take solace. Here's some pics.

Have you had a chance to ride the Psyko again?