Tomo MPH

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
@j_mac Its really about what you feel comfortable with. I think you could probably go down to a 5'6 (based on your weight) but if you usually ride 32L - 34L then i would stay in that range. The 5'8 would most likely be a very subtle difference from the 5'9. I say get it.
Thank you - a little nudge goes a long way! What's your magic formula for determining appropriate volume?

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
My first Tomo was a vader, then an Evo, then a Scifi... then it went out of control. lol.

The challenge with the cymatic is it a very sensitive board. Some have called it "twitchy". It might be tough to control for a beginner or it might be the perfect board that turns easy and makes you feel like you're ripping! haha.

I say go for it. If it doesnt work try an Evo or something else. Follow the feeling.

Reactions: j_mac and JDJ

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
instead of buying 1, buy a couple of the models suggested as well.

tomos dont seem to have much trouble selling and you’ll be a little more objective regarding what you like than waste time on a turd.

maybe erBB bias but tomo peeps don’t seem to be short on board funds.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Thanks everyone - sorry for the delayed response, busy with work and surfing!

Yes, I am new (2 months in), and I am not trying to be narcissistic, but I am not your typical newbie. Though I believe that I am picking it up quickly, I am inexperienced with what works and what I should go for...

Here's the diatribe - haha! First I study waves and the surf zone for a living, actually teach linear wave theory and written a lot papers on surf zone waves and circulations patterns. I am able to read the waves and understand the mechanics behind surfing. I understand wave groups, directional spreading, frequency spreading, etc. Most of my studies are in the surf zone, I spend a lot of time in the ocean, on a wave runner, etc. FYI, I turned it down but I did get a Fulbright Scholarship to study artificial surfing reefs in New Zealand during my PhD.

I surfed some 20 years ago, but mostly on longish or longboards. Never really put much thought into it other surfing the waves, and going to the beach with the family. It came relatively easy to me. I got out of it because of my career, family, and sticking with one sport to get at it, and long boarding was just so so (sorry to offend those who love it).

My primary sport has been mountain biking. I am above average mountain biker - I hit 20 foot gap jumps, build jumps. I am very calculated in my extreme biking. I typically head to Whistler and Canada every summer. I commute 20 miles round trip to work. I am mountain bike 3-4 times a week.

With COVID, I wasn't going to Whistler, not eating out, etc. I need a new challenge - a local escape. I had some funds to invest in something different. My neighbor surfs so I dusted off and fixed the old boards. First session back in water was up in Santa Cruz - July 4ht which was great waves. No problem surfing the long board.

I bought a new board - based on friends that surf and the internet - I got a high volume (60L), 7 ft Torq with into two sessions. I knew this board was too big - blah, big mistake. However, all you read is volume, volume, volume, beginner start with this. Not all beginners are the same.

After 2 weeks, still staying conversative, but trying something smaller, I bought a 6' 8" 41L Seaside & Beyond. Yeah, I could paddle a smaller volume board. I like the SS&B, I like the glide, wave catching etc. It is a long board on the waves.

After 4 weeks, I bought 5' 9" 37L Seaside. I figured the SS&B worked, why not stay the path. I can easily paddle this board, but it doesn't catch waves that easy and it feels like a boat. The Seaside is a weird board for me. I like it in the punchy waves, but I wish it was less boaty and more narrow. I would almost prefer less volume, but worried that this would make wave catching even harder or maybe it would be easier. Even though it is easy to paddle the SS, you notice the width and volume. It is super stable on the waves, you really have to get your feet in position to work this board or at least this size and volume.

From my experience with the SS and SS&B, I like the width of the SS&B and the shortness of the SS. I bought 6' 2" Hydroshort. Again being a bit conservative with volume. The Hydroshort has been super fun, and it is an easy board to surf!!! Surprisingly, I don't really notice the 38L volume like I notice the 37L volume of the SS. I was surprised that I didn't notice the 38L with the Hydroshort. With the Hydroshort, I am surfing the waves very well and the last few days have been awesome. However the waves were easy and fun, had a little roll to them before breaking so easy to get into. I am surfing the wave - staying high in wave, turning bottom and top. I notice the length a bit at first, but getting my feet far back quickly and consistently. This definitely is a great DD for me.

I am looking for a board to replace the SS for the punchy, steep beach breaks and that has bit more edge to it relative to the Hydroshort. Hence the Cymatic seemed like right board, and who knows it might replace the Hydroshort. Everyone seems to love the Cymatic and states that their surfing improves with the Cymatic across various volumes. The people that overvolume the Cymatic say the hard rails work and they don't notice the volume. The ones that under volume or right size say it paddles great. Because of my inexperience, volume remains a bit of an unknown. I am 48 years old, 185 lbs (naked) and really confused about volume and size for this board.

Yes, I am novice, but either from years of biking and pushing the envelope, was semi-pro skateboarder (360 over a van) when I was young. I am constantly self-evaluating and adjusting, learning from what works and what didn't work. By no means am I an expert, I am still learning and learning a lot. I catch most of my waves (90-95%), I still go after some of the wrong waves ( as I get bored waiting) and should have gone for some that passed by me. My neighbor and his surfer friend, who have been surfing for 2 plus years, I am passed them and explaining stuff to them, asking them did you notice what did wrong, why that happened, their feet position for turning or braking, when to catch the wave, looking to see which direction to surf down the wave, etc. These are things I am correcting for as I am surfing each wave and improving.

Thanks for taking the time and sorry the spew...

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
You’re all good. We’re stocked that you’re stocked. That’s what it’s all about.

If you have your heart set on a Cymatic, I say go for it. I do think an Evo or Hydroshort would work well for you. I had a SP2 which was the xtr version of the Cynatic. It’s a very good board.

Reactions: j_mac

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
You’re all good. We’re stocked that you’re stocked. That’s what it’s all about.

If you have your heart set on a Cymatic, I say go for it. I do think an Evo or Hydroshort would work well for you. I had a SP2 which was the xtr version of the Cynatic. It’s a very good board.
Thanks man - appreciate it! yeah it is super fun and addictive! I love the challenge of it and figuring everything out within milliseconds. My favorite thing mountain biking is riding a new trails with no knowledge and handling a crazy features and figuring it out very quickly! Surfing is this - micro-adjustments to each wave is fun.

Thanks, and I am very happy with the Hydroshort and this can progress my surfing! It really is the only board that I truly need. The wandering eye was more when the beach break basically close-out, I feel the length of the Hydroshort maybe a tad long.

I am surfing mostly my local beach spots - Marina State Beach (5 blocks from me) and Asilomar. I may go up to Santa Cruz, but a lot of surfers up there and many with long boards. I rather stay local and catch lot of waves:)!

Reactions: JDJ

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
My primary sport has been mountain biking.
I can lay it on rail there too :p

The sports are analogous in the "commit or sh!t the bed" approach, and your mentality will translate very well, plus the fact you're clearly "sporty". The only thing I would caution, is the old Dunning-Kruger effect. There's a lot you don't know, and I would still suggest a Cymatic is a bad choice, and a traditional thruster is the way to go.

It's probably a bad simile (because a thruster isn't like a hardtail), but ... when some kids grow up riding hardtails and then transition over to a Santa Cruz V10 with bling suspension all carboned out, their base skillset is obvious, while the older guy who went straight to the V10 completely relies on the suspension lacks in the fundamentals.

Reactions: daave and JDJ

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Messages Image(3160749847).jpeg
My local jumps...

Nice, and on the Evil Undead! One of my all time favorite bikes was the Uprising - couldn't believe what that bike could handle. I have ridden with a few time with Kevin Walsh (Evil Bikes owner) in Bellingham - Chuckanut!

What would you recommend for the next board?

A few people have mentioned the EVO - I am open to suggestions!

Reactions: JDJ

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Get a 5'2 Tomo Elliptical Egolution with Lunarbeam Memory Foam Technology. They're so sick! Then you should just tell us more about yourself and how you SHRRRRRRRRRRRED the gnar, the turf, academia, the air, and EVERYTHING!!!

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Thanks again everyone! The honest feedback has been very helpful and it definitely made me think about this more throughly. I sort had an obvious (doh - right in front of your face) thought, I should just go down in dimensions with the hydroshort. I like the board, it has been suggested as a good starter by JDJ, and this will allow me to more accurately evaluate dimensions than getting a different board that surfs differently.

Should I go 5' 11" 33L or more gradual maybe 6' 0" 34.7L? Coming from a 6'2" 38.1L

Reactions: oeste858