Tomo MPH

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Thats not really the same style fin Greenough and Thomson made, but its possible Greenough may have seen that fin and drew some inspiration from it? Who knows...

To my understanding the hatchet style fin that led to the powerdrive fin was invented by Greenough for his knee board, and then once he traveled to Australia and met Mark Thomson, they collaborated together and Mark was the one that modified/adapted the hatchet style fin for shortboard and that is how the powerdrive fins are credited to Mark Thomson. It was Mark that first adapted and used those types of fins on a shortboard.

Its actually been pointed out here on this forum that the picture featured on the bottom of the True Ames website is Mark Thomsons personal surfboard with a tri-fin powerdrive fin setup. It appears that Mark Thomson made the board in the photo himself, and made and glassed those fins himself. The True Ames website is using the photo (i believe without his permission) and claiming it as their own creation. If I was Mark Thomson i would demand that Chuck Ames remove the picture and/or the correct the storyline on the website. The True Ames website doesnt mention Mark at all and actually credits Chuck Ames as the one that used Greenough's fin as a thruster design on a shortboard and then shows Marks board.

The whole blog section storyline on True Ames website re the hatchet fin seem to be inaccurate.
It would be interesting to hear what Chuck Ames has to say about it.

Correction: Here is the website URL.
Designing fins around controlled lift rather than rudder tech is the way to go . No one thought of fins like this back then -

Reactions: Chocki and ANIMA

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
5'9 x 19 7/8" x 2 5/8" (33L) X-wing. From Deforest's reports on his new one, I think it may be pretty similar except for the 3-pointed tail instead of double-diamond. Hoping it shines in weak surf.
Anyone who's ridden a Deathstar have any fin recommendations? @jkb @gbarsby3
Does that tail grip as much as the battail on a SciPhi/SP2/Cymatic? I had to underfin those to compensate (medium instead of large).
View attachment 96000View attachment 96001View attachment 96002
Sick bort @oeste858 !!

I usually ran K2.1's in my Deathstar at my regular fin size (medium). That board had so much inherent speed and drive, a pivot fin just made sense to me. I didn't find a need to fin up or down.

I also tried GG fins in it and it went insane with those too.

With your board having a little more curve in the outline compared to the Deathstar, maybe try something a little more neutral to start out with and go from there. Something similar to a performer or accelerator (sorry, I only speak FCS).

Last edited:

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
5'9 x 19 7/8" x 2 5/8" (33L) X-wing. From Deforest's reports on his new one, I think it may be pretty similar except for the 3-pointed tail instead of double-diamond. Hoping it shines in weak surf.
Anyone who's ridden a Deathstar have any fin recommendations? @jkb @gbarsby3
Does that tail grip as much as the battail on a SciPhi/SP2/Cymatic? I had to underfin those to compensate (medium instead of large).
View attachment 96000View attachment 96001View attachment 96002
Post up a picture of the rocker. ;)

Oct 30, 2019
yes - they're big "pivot" style fins that give you lots of control off the tail --- ridden in vanguard, hydroshort and Death Star -- with good results in all.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Asking the Tomo experts....

I am relatively new to surfing and picking it up quickly. I am looking to purchase a Cymatic to progress my surfing. I am really struggling with sizing and volume of the Cymatic based on the various internet information.

The two things that I read is
1) that the Cymatic hides its volume well, hence if you increase volume you don't notice it, which is likely associated with the thinner rails. Cymatic owners that have a bit more volume say that it feels less than other boards with similar or more volume. Even watching videos of folks on higher volume Cymatics they seem to be working well.

2) Then there are lots of statements for lower volume with almost the same thougths, it paddles well for its lower volume and size, and catches waves well owing to the planing. Statements suggest going lower volume than other boards

Both groups seem to love the board, are having a blast, and believe in their choice. I am excited to get a Cymatic, but I have no clue which one - haha!

I am 5' 9", 185lbs (naked) - I am not sure if i should go with a 5' 9", 5' 10", or 5' 11" .

I am looking for a board when the beach break is punchy and steep in Central California - Asilomar & Marina. I have boards for the other conditions.

I welcome your input!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Have you ridden Tomos before? With these MPH/blunt-nosed boards they really work best as short as you can go: ideally they should come up to somewhere around your chin to nose height. I am 6’ and 175-180 lbs and had a 5’8 that felt great, probably could’ve gone 5’7 but I liked the extra float and never felt too big. So, the quick answer is as short as you can comfortably paddle and catch waves: 5’8 or 5’9 max.
I am convinced the SciFi 2 is pretty much the same board (bottom contours, rocket) as the Cymatic- just with a more traditional nose. Might be easier to size correctly for you.

Reactions: j_mac

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Have you ridden Tomos before? With these MPH/blunt-nosed boards they really work best as short as you can go: ideally they should come up to somewhere around your chin to nose height. I am 6’ and 175-180 lbs and had a 5’8 that felt great, probably could’ve gone 5’7 but I liked the extra float and never felt too big. So, the quick answer is as short as you can comfortably paddle and catch waves: 5’8 or 5’9 max.
I am convinced the SciFi 2 is pretty much the same board (bottom contours, rocket) as the Cymatic- just with a more traditional nose. Might be easier to size correctly for you.
Thanks! I actually read a lot of your posts and you definitely got me super excited to get this board. Your comment of a fun HPSB for non HPSB surfers - haha! Sounds like a 5' 9" maybe the ticket.

Reactions: ANIMA and oeste858

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Based on your post... 5'9 sounds like a good size for you. I would start there and see how that feels.
Asilomar is a fun spot -- it brought back good memories in reading your post. I surfed there a few years ago and got some really fun waves. You will be flying all over that place on the Cymatic. :shaka: @j_mac

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Based on your post... 5'9 sounds like a good size for you. I would start there and see how that feels.
Asilomar is a fun spot -- it brought back good memories in reading your post. I surfed there a few years ago and got some really fun waves. You will be flying all over that place on the Cymatic. :shaka: @j_mac
Thanks man - appreciate your input, especially since you know the spot!!! Cheers!

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
One of the local shops has a 5' 8" - too small or still functional and fun?

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
@j_mac Its really about what you feel comfortable with. I think you could probably go down to a 5'6 (based on your weight) but if you usually ride 32L - 34L then i would stay in that range. The 5'8 would most likely be a very subtle difference from the 5'9. I say get it.