Tomo MPH

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Funnily enough, it's an Aipa board I want to be sent here. Exchange rate just screws me though.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Nice boars, reforest! Looks like your friend of a friend is into the same art as Tomo! ;)

Final word on Gary McNeil - everyone makes mistakes, accidents happen, but that guy's a kunt! :shaka:
Agreed! Massive kunt...
Dan is dialing up some gems. Great looking sled!
The new sled is a gem. Dan is gonna have to name this model soon before i do. :p

Last edited:

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Refo: if you could please compare and contrast the following in similar sized dims. What are they good at, what are they not as good at, etc...I started out thinking Id ask about all of them, but decided to start a discussion by adding the ones Ive had experience with. Maybe fill in the blanks with the rest? Most interested in Hydroshort, but Id be curious about what you think about the others because Ive had the ones I put comments next to:

Vanguard - Fastest board of the bunch for me, but does not draw a very curvy line, if that makes sense. I liken it to a fish, great speed in a straight line, doesnt draw the best turns.
El Tomo - ?
Vader - Had one for a short time, but never clicked with it - got a Cymatic which made the Vader feel obsolete. Maybe I missed out on the Vader's virtues?
Evo - Slower than the Vanguard, but draws nice smooth lines. Rocker seems to be tuned like a hybrid: pretty flat, so it works in average conditions, but I struggle to use it on anything steeper.
Omni -?
Cymatic: Demands a pocket, great rocker/tail, very whippy/snappy.
Hydroshort -?
Bonus, for any others that you think of!

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Rode my tomo step up this weekend in pretty much perfect surf. The thing is magic, gets in early and way more fun to surf than a semi gun.
5-10 x 18 1/4 x 2 1/2
told Dan what I wanted and he cooked up this beaut. Had so many good sessions on this board the past 5 years.
the newer models looks really nice might be time for an upgrade :)
4A8D2902-A6AC-4CBB-8C6B-DA0D306DF8E1.jpeg

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
My V3 Nano has been a blast. It’s definitely feels like a planing hull, but the rocker and foil is pure high performance short board.

I like where Dan is going with the torpedo noses on the new models. They seem to work really well if you want to explore Dan’s design theories but without going super short, like the Vader, VG or Evo.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Is that not a round nose V4 Anima?
I dont think so. It looks like that at first sight, but I think Dan created this model off a different file.

I got the chance to ride it today in some fun surf and it feels similar to the X-wing. It has a low entry nose rocker and low tail rocker. It definitely has more rocker than the X-wing, but not as much as the OB1 or the Hydroshort. It feels like a board made for smaller slopey waves. Its short and wide (planing hull style board). The nose caught a couple times until i got used to the board. Once i did it was like a rocket and i had a lot of fun. Now its time to play with some fin setups.

As far as the name goes... I remember Dan had a V4 model that he code named "R-Wing". Since this model feels similar to the X-wing and looks like a V4, i'm gonna throw my hat in the ring and suggest that this model be called the "R-wing". :cool::shaka:

Edit: Also the nose is more sleek like the hydronaut. The V4 RN is a little wider and larger radius.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I dont think so. It looks like that at first sight, but I think Dan created this model off a different file.

I got the chance to ride it today in some fun surf and it feels similar to the X-wing. It has a low entry nose rocker and low tail rocker. It definitely has more rocker than the X-wing, but not as much as the OB1 or the Hydroshort. It feels like a board made for smaller slopey waves. Its short and wide (planing hull style board). The nose caught a couple times until i got used to the board. Once i did it was like a rocket and i had a lot of fun. Now its time to play with some fin setups.

As far as the name goes... I remember Dan had a V4 model that he code named "R-Wing". Since this model feels similar to the X-wing and looks like a V4, i'm gonna throw my hat in the ring and suggest that this model be called the "R-wing". :cool::shaka:

Edit: Also the nose is more sleek like the hydronaut. The V4 RN is a little wider and larger radius.
I thought the board was supposed to have the OB1/Cymatic tail rocker?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Bummer. Well, I'm hoping my x-wing will intentionally be a good groveler. Maybe it will be similar to yours, aside from the 3-pointed tail. Just got an update yesterday and apparently it's in glassing. Starting to get excited.

Reactions: jkb and ANIMA