Tomo MPH

KyleTalbott

Nep status
Jul 6, 2008
That Cybersim looks really good. Just listened to RK on The Wire podcast. Can't really stand Shred Show guy as he just tries to cut in and speak bs all the time, but I've been following Hydrodynamica for a good few years now. RK seems like a cool guy, and is full of stories. Would be good if David Scales could get him on Surf Splendor and just let him talk.

I've been considering a GMM2 for a while now. I want one, but I know I shouldn't. Must. Control. Urge. To. Order. New. Boards...
Shred Show guy needs to learn to listen better.

Reactions: Goodfish

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
So, ReForest, your board is meant to be more of a DD, like the OB1, rather than for weak waves like the X-wing? Did you also order a 2nd board, a twin of some sort??
Trying to fight it, but this stupid quarantine got me gradually (inevitably) talking myself into pulling the trigger on a Tomo for weaker/slower waves as discussed above: Xwing or El Tomo quad (would prefer the bullet nose on that). The RNV4 looks tempting, but it sounds like V4 rocker makes it more of a good wave board, which I have plenty of already.
Goodfish- what did you end up ordering?

RNV4 loosk super sick

ShShSh has a good description of how it goes

Reactions: sh3

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Grabbed a used Evo sans fins recently. Not well versed in Futures templates, any recommendations? Board size 5'7", rider 6' @ 190-200 lbs.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I didn’t expect to, but I really like the Machado thrusters (grey ones not red). I generally like a smaller center fin with three fins. I have the black FireWire 5-fin set surfed mostly as quad. Think it’s a pretty neutral fin template and they go well with the board.
My previous Evos were FCS and I liked Reactors (upright) or Performers (neutral) depending on the conditions.

Reactions: Goodfish

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Grabbed a used Evo sans fins recently. Not well versed in Futures templates, any recommendations? Board size 5'7", rider 190-200 lbs.
I have the same size Evo and about the same size as you. I like the EA thruster set

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Grabbed a used Evo sans fins recently. Not well versed in Futures templates, any recommendations? Board size 5'7", rider 190-200 lbs.
I use quads in my 5'2, FCS performer though. If I had futures I bet the EA blacksticks with the 4.0 Trailers would work good. I'm 5'7 150. I went through 3 other larger Evo's, 5'6, 5'4, 5'3, before I wound up on the 5'2. I hated the 5'6, the 5'4 was okay, 5'3 was better, but the 5'2 is money. Would love to try a 5'1 some day

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Thanks for the recs all; I'm a thruster guy for the most part, and I've been riding the Large Merricks (so good to know I've been on the right track) and have been impressed with the board but want to get a bit more rear-foot gas-pedal action going. I've ridden a friend's 5'6" and while I can certainly get it going on a better wave I like the paddle and glide the 5'7" is giving me, particularly when wearing full rubber and boots.

Might start to hunt for EA's (you are not the first to recommend those, so it sounds like there is consensus on that). I'll also mull over Jamby's quad recommendations for when I want to switch it up.

Reactions: Jamby
Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Thanks for the recs all; I'm a thruster guy for the most part, and I've been riding the Large Merricks (so good to know I've been on the right track) and have been impressed with the board but want to get a bit more rear-foot gas-pedal action going. I've ridden a friend's 5'6" and while I can certainly get it going on a better wave I like the paddle and glide the 5'7" is giving me, particularly when wearing full rubber and boots.

Might start to hunt for EA's (you are not the first to recommend those, so it sounds like there is consensus on that). I'll also mull over Jamby's quad recommendations for when I want to switch it up.
Yeah, I never rode it as a thruster, as it just looks like a quad board to me. Tons of speed, but I feel like you really got to get your foot back there to do any kind of real turns. I didn't like the larger Evo's because I felt the balance point of the board took me out of the sweet spot. I only ride mine in better surf, so the 5'2 being at the lower of my volume range doesn't bother me, even with all the rubber on.

Reactions: oeste858

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Yeah, I never rode it as a thruster, as it just looks like a quad board to me. Tons of speed, but I feel like you really got to get your foot back there to do any kind of real turns. I didn't like the larger Evo's because I felt the balance point of the board took me out of the sweet spot. I only ride mine in better surf, so the 5'2 being at the lower of my volume range doesn't bother me, even with all the rubber on.
I hear ya. I've pawed up Evo's between 5'6" and 5'8" in a shop and felt there were HUGE differences in volume, rail thickness, and bulk (particularly in the nose). I *think* the 5'7" is the right fit for my age/weight/fitness, but could totally see someone my size but younger and with a better back and hips going down as far as 5'5".

So far the thing I like most about the Evo is that it feels really free off the top/under the lip (easy to look like you are ripping top turns even when going a little easier (a result of my bad hip)) and seems to assist in recovering from minor F-ups by simply putting some weight on the back foot and reengaging the fins. I even recently got some hoots for what I thought was a fairly standard ride but was assured it was honest praise; I can kind of experience glimmers of my lost youth on this board.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
I hear ya. I've pawed up Evo's between 5'6" and 5'8" in a shop and felt there were HUGE differences in volume, rail thickness, and bulk (particularly in the nose). I *think* the 5'7" is the right fit for my age/weight/fitness, but could totally see someone my size but younger and with a better back and hips going down as far as 5'5".

So far the thing I like most about the Evo is that it feels really free off the top/under the lip (easy to look like you are ripping top turns even when going a little easier (a result of my bad hip)) and seems to assist in recovering from minor F-ups by simply putting some weight on the back foot and reengaging the fins. I even recently got some hoots for what I thought was a fairly standard ride but was assured it was honest praise; I can kind of experience glimmers of my lost youth on this board.
Sounds like you got the size nailed for you then :shaka:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I liked the Evo as a thruster. It planes so well that I could grovel well while being used a thruster.

Aug 20, 2019
I use quads in my 5'2, FCS performer though. If I had futures I bet the EA blacksticks with the 4.0 Trailers would work good. I'm 5'7 150. I went through 3 other larger Evo's, 5'6, 5'4, 5'3, before I wound up on the 5'2. I hated the 5'6, the 5'4 was okay, 5'3 was better, but the 5'2 is money. Would love to try a 5'1 some day
I'm 155 and the 5'2 is my go to in small surf, with rakey thruster fins bc only futures I got. My mates all tried it and all found it a super fast cheater board, from anything above knee high. I reckon 5'1 would do it in better surf but at my weight the outstanding paddle and turns when my foot is all the way back don't make me feel I'd need more sensitivity.

Did you try the cymatic with a bit more rocker in better surf?

Reactions: ANIMA
Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
I'm 155 and the 5'2 is my go to in small surf, with rakey thruster fins bc only futures I got. My mates all tried it and all found it a super fast cheater board, from anything above knee high. I reckon 5'1 would do it in better surf but at my weight the outstanding paddle and turns when my foot is all the way back don't make me feel I'd need more sensitivity.

Did you try the cymatic with a bit more rocker in better surf?
Yes, I have a 5'3 and a 5'4 Cymatic, both FCS. I've had both of them for over a year, and am still deciding which to keep, and which to unload. I'm leaning towards the 5'4, as I feel the extra rail length is a good thing on that model, and it makes it a little easier to paddle into some size. Like the EVO, I only ride them when the waves are good, which means not often where I live. I have had the 5'4 in some larger non barreling, but steep surf, and it usually makes the travel bag as what I consider an alternate board to have with me, along with a lower wave range board, and a standard thruster hpsb. I ride the Cymatic as a quad with Medium Merrick fins, and it feels pretty fast, loose, and releases the tail more often then other shapes I ride. I also have the Omni in a 5'4 and 5'5. I feel like I trust the Omni more in heavier surf, and was surprised how controlled the 5'4 was in some pretty solid conditions. The 5'5 I found it hard to stall, but i'm hanging onto it anyway because I like the shape. The Omni I like as either a quad or thruster, as it seems like it works with both fin combinations, and the characteristics of that board can be changed to suit most real waves with fin changes.