Tomo MPH

Feb 9, 2019
Glancing through the El tomo fysh specifications. Board looks good, dimensions fit my small wave needs, and then construction.....LFT. Ive had a sci fi for a long time now, its gone a bit yellow but those bloody fin boxes pop out. Evo is the same, fcs one side future on the other now.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I thought the feel of LFT was good, but the durability was awful. Too easy to get cracks and dings on the rail. Won't get another in that construction. XTR for my Tomos.
FWIW- I saw a guy out on the new one today in 4-5' surf at local reef and he was absolutely ripping on it, very HP... but then again, he's a semi-pro who gets boards from FW and he always rips on everything. Looked fun!

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
The new El Tomo Fish looks like its LFT on the bottom and helium deskin on top (more resilient for the foot dents). You cant see the EPS foam through the top, but you can see the foam through the resin on the bottom. It felt more light weight than i thought it would. It also had a good amount of rocker for a fish, and was more narrow than I thought it would be. Looked a bit bladey. I was really surprised actually. I wasnt very interested when it came out, but after seeing one in person, it looks pretty sick.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Don't you think it's worth sticking it out for a bit? I at first thought my Gremlin (current small waiv boar) is too small, but it now that I've clicked into the boar, I'm glad I chose the one I did.

Reactions: SharkBoy and Havoc

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That’s a shame. How is it sized compared to your other two? Are the rails more foiled than the FW version or something? Different buoyancy of the foam?

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
OB1 is 5'5 x 18 1/2 x 2 5/16 x 25.5L.
Hydroshort Custom is 5'5 x 18 1/4 x 2 1/4 x 24.7L
Hydroshort Helium is 5'5 x 18 5/16 x 2 1/4 x 24.1L.

The custom HS seems to have a more pulled in nose (like the Hydronaut) and obviously the tail is more pulled in because its a round tail and not a squash tail (so that makes the board feel even smaller than a normal 5'5). It's also more narrow width than the Helium HS.

I thought the dims would be perfect, but it just feels kind like a toothpick. I thought it would replace the helium HS, but I like how the helium version feels mo betta. :) Its all good... its a learning curve... just bummed it didnt work out like i hoped it would.