Tomo MPH

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
For those of you who have surfed an Evo, what type of waves do you think it works best in? Thanks.
I use mine as a small wave performance groveler. Works really well for the small yet steep beach breaks near me.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Does XTR have a Hydroshort template with a swallowtail? Is this possible with the template/concaves?
Don't think XTR can modify the file they have like that, but worth a call to Shey to ask. I'm sure you could do it through Tomo's OZ-based custom program. Seen those swallowtails on his Instagram. Probably about same price as XTR too.

Reactions: retodd and schex

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Funny someone posted in this thread... I was going to post a question on Tomo Grovelers today.

With conditions being as small as they have been lately, what Tomo design would you say is best suited for Groveling or for small wave conditions? I've always reached for the Evo. Im sure JKB will swear by the GMM2. Any other suggestions on Tomo boards for small wave conditions?

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Does XTR have a Hydroshort template with a swallowtail? Is this possible with the template/concaves?
I emailed Dan about this. The Hydroshort Swallow is available through his AUS custom program, but not through XTR. My customs from AUS was $890 USD. Shipping was supposed to be around $200 in addition.

Im ordering a custom soon, so if anyone lives in Cali and wants to split the shipping cost LMK.

XTR is now offering a Nano with the Quad Inside Single Concave ("QISC") channels. They also have a pointy nose SKX with a swallow tail. The also offer a SKX without the QISC as a swallow tail. I saw one at XTR and it has a nice single concave running through the middle of the board. Not sure if it has V out the tail but I found it super interesting that Tomo is experimenting on board without his trademark QISC.

Reactions: Aardwolf and schex
Aug 20, 2019
We offered a huge Nano 5'10 with the channels to a mate recently, it was the good sizing for him and he was enjoying it.
But recently he was with us on a trip and I borrowed the board to give it a go, and it was impressively good! Like hands down the best first wave I've had on a board for a while, even if it was roughly 10L over my usual volume. I could connect some decent turns in lackluster waves again and again. Good enough to get another mate to paddle from the next peak down the beach to check out what just happened.
So for small waves, go for it. I've been looking for a decent secondhand nano or cymatic since then.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
His old Richter design with quad hatchet fins was insanely good as a grovellor. I've really got to get an evo for summer...

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Funny someone posted in this thread... I was going to post a question on Tomo Grovelers today.

With conditions being as small as they have been lately, what Tomo design would you say is best suited for Groveling or for small wave conditions? I've always reached for the Evo. Im sure JKB will swear by the GMM2. Any other suggestions on Tomo boards for small wave conditions?
That's an interesting question. I have a had a few Evos in various sizes, and I've always thought of that board as more of a daily driver.

I think it all probably depends on the type of waves you surf though. In Hawaii, Fiji, or somewhere else with a lot of open ocean power, I think an Evo would be great as a groveler. Here in Southern California, I think the more flat rockered designs on offer from Matt Biolos or Dan Mann boards work best, especially when below waist high.

Reactions: Aardwolf

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
It doesn't seem like Tomo is that interested in a board for tiny waves. I think the Evo works best when ridden as short as possible, so I think if you try to oversize it as grovel dims, there are better options out there. Apologies for repeating myself from other posts, but for sure, the Tomo-shaped GMM2 model (under the Hydrodynamica label) through XTR is your best bet... if you insist on a Tomo. You don't see many around, but it's a rectangular high-performance variation of a mini simmons planing hull- I consider it a groveler/cheater version of Evo. You can order it with his quad channel bottom- which I think helps with lift in weak waves. The speed of this design is pretty effortless. I can honestly be out on it when others are only on logs/midlengths/foamies and have a blast.

Also, the marketing for his "El Tomo" model (clearly based on his earlier V4) on XTR & his custom site describes it as for weak waves. I've been curious about this shape (especially as a quad), but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm on quad fish variations (a Rusty & a Machado PU Seaside) in small waves these days.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
GMM2 for small waves all day long. So much better than the Evo, IMO.

The GMM2, surprisingly, is a really versatile board. The rocker is actually a little bit curvier than the Evo, but the straighter rail line, wider tail, and deeper concaves (flatter centerline rocker) of the GMM2 help it to grovel better. With the rail rocker being a little curvier, it can definitely do some high performance turns and can be ridden vertically when steeper sections pop up.

In flatter faced waves, I ride mine anywhere from knee high to head high. I'll still ride it when it's curvy, but chest high is about the limit when it's like that.

Reactions: oeste858 and SD_Dan

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Hmmm. Good info.
I've been riding a friends grovel board and having a lot of fun with it. Its a thick, wide board with a wing and swallow tail. Looks like an egg with a pulled in swallow tail and a wing. It floats extremely well and its super loose. I was getting some nice little turns in on some ankle high waves these past few days and got me thinking about Tomo boards as grovelers and none really came to mind other than the GMM2 and Evo. But i've heard people describe an evo as a board for good waves (like SD Dan said).

I have a small foot, so I was thinking about boards with a not-so-wide tail. Maybe a custom GMM2 is the way to go? @jkb would you think 18 or 18 1/8 is too skinny for a groveler?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Hmmm. Good info.
I've been riding a friends grovel board and having a lot of fun with it. Its a thick, wide board with a wing and swallow tail. Looks like an egg with a pulled in swallow tail and a wing. It floats extremely well and its super loose. I was getting some nice little turns in on some ankle high waves these past few days and got me thinking about Tomo boards as grovelers and none really came to mind other than the GMM2 and Evo. But i've heard people describe an evo as a board for good waves (like SD Dan said).

I have a small foot, so I was thinking about boards with a not-so-wide tail. Maybe a custom GMM2 is the way to go? @jkb would you think 18 or 18 1/8 is too skinny for a groveler?
Not at all. My first GMM2 was 4'10 x 18. My new one is 5'1 x 18 1/2. For you, I would do something like 4'11 x 18 1/8 or 5'0 x 18 1/4.......whichever you're more comfortable with. Don't be afraid of the wide tail. It's very nimble on this design.

You just need to pull the trigger on one of these. It will be your go to board for Oceanside 95% of the time. You'll thank me later ;)

schex

Miki Dora status
Jun 9, 2015
OB/Point Loma
Thanks for the replies on the Hydroshort - weird that Javier/xtr - don't have the program for the swallow tail - I checked out the stock Hydroshort and it looks sweet but seems like it would be in the same slot as my Cymatic - which is a great board!! It got me off my Evo for the most part - when it's grovel time I opt for my Chumlee

Feb 9, 2019

Ive got a couple of Vanguards. I customised one and its closer to stock size evo dimensions for my size. (I didnt gel with the vader or evo).
It works for a couple other guys here on the smaller days but it can still pack a tube.
Quad fin setup.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Also, the marketing for his "El Tomo" model (clearly based on his earlier V4) on XTR & his custom site describes it as for weak waves. I've been curious about this shape (especially as a quad), but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm on quad fish variations (a Rusty & a Machado PU Seaside) in small waves these days.
I owned an EL Tomo, but it was the twin/keel version. Didn't click with the double foiled keels right away so I switched to flat foiled Akila twin fins and the board felt much better to me. The rocker was definitely tuned down from the V4 to handle smaller waves, but the fin set up didn't excel in those conditions. I could surf it in waist high waves, but preferred not to. When I got it on a weaker, more cruisy wave, I would have rather been on a thruster (I'm a thruster guy). It really shined in head high barreling conditions. Rode it in Oceanside on a few head high to overhead South swells and it was at its best in those waves. I ended up selling it (Deforest bought it) because it was a bit too specialized for my taste, but still a good board IMO.

I suspect making it a quad would help increase the boards low end capabilities and overall versatility.

Reactions: deforestcooper

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
huh. Based on how they described it, I would not have expected it to shine in hollow waves. Interesting.
I think keel fin designs just like some push to get going (generally speaking). With the curve of a barreling wave, it would drop in and go really quick and maintain speed effortlessly through fast sections. It was a lot of fun in those conditions, but when a weaker wave required some pumping to get down the line, it didn't want to get up and go. It wanted to be surfed at a different pace then what I was used to in typical NCSD conditions. That's when I like the rear fin of a thruster to push off.....but I think the El Tomo would do better in those conditions as a quad.

Reactions: oeste858

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
I saw the new El Tomo at firewire when I met Dan a few months ago. It looked like he made some changes from the El Tomo that i bought from JKB. It has an Evo rocker now, and he changed the fin placement. The rear fins are set a little wide -- so I'm guessing it will feel loose and drivy. I think he had the reactor quad set up in it when I saw it. It seems like a really sick board. Cant wait to ride one!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I saw the new El Tomo at firewire when I met Dan a few months ago. It looked like he made some changes from the El Tomo that i bought from JKB. It has an Evo rocker now, and he changed the fin placement. The rear fins are set a little wide -- so I'm guessing it will feel loose and drivy. I think he had the reactor quad set up in it when I saw it. It seems like a really sick board. Cant wait to ride one!
Oh interesting. The “new” El Tomo being the one he makes in Oz or a prototype for FW ? is the Evo rocker more/less compared to what it was before?
The quad seems ideal for the average day at the soft reefs around here

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Oh interesting. The “new” El Tomo being the one he makes in Oz or a prototype for FW ? is the Evo rocker more/less compared to what it was before?
The quad seems ideal for the average day at the soft reefs around here
I saw a prototype for Firewire, but I am assuming its the same as the ones he's making in OZ. I think its a different rocker, but not sure. The quad seems much better than the dual fin design. Although i've been riding an old Raptor Dual Fin with his glass on Powerdrive Fins and the board feels insane! I wish I was around in those 2008-2010 days... I heard the Errbb was a buzz and Tomo's boards were the talk of the town! Sounds like epic times!