Tomo MPH

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I've had my 5'9 XTR Hydrosquash for just over a year now. It's my go-to board for regular autumn/winter swells from shoulder to just overhead. I've also had it out in Indo at a very heavy beachie that was pushing up to double overhead and a punchy slabby reef similar to Bingin. Admittedly, I should've had my Hydronaut out in those conditions, but it was my first day there and I was feeling ambitious. Worked well though, and didn't let me down. The hydronaut manages the steep drops much easier though. It makes drops that my skills shouldn't allow me to make. I've tried the Hydrosquash out in chest-high surf, but it just didn't feel right.

Reactions: jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I've had my 5'9 XTR Hydrosquash for just over a year now. It's my go-to board for regular autumn/winter swells from shoulder to just overhead. I've also had it out in Indo at a very heavy beachie that was pushing up to double overhead and a punchy slabby reef similar to Bingin. Admittedly, I should've had my Hydronaut out in those conditions, but it was my first day there and I was feeling ambitious. Worked well though, and didn't let me down. The hydronaut manages the steep drops much easier though. It makes drops that my skills shouldn't allow me to make. I've tried the Hydrosquash out in chest-high surf, but it just didn't feel right.
It would be interesting to compare the rocker on yours to the newer ones coming out to see if they tuned them down for smaller waves.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
So, your saying your XTR HS goes best above chest-high, up to just OH, but not too steep? That's practically a step-up for SoCal! lol
Yeah, tweaking it to something like the SKX sounds about right to market it as a DD. Thanks for the intel, Deforest.

Reactions: deforestcooper

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Maybe it's not a question of an older HS vs a newer one.

Maybe the XTR version has a different rocker than the FW version??
I was wondering the same thing, because I liked the XTR version a lot. But it needs a wave... The Firewire version is more versatile and easier to surf. Better paddler too. ... and for some odd reason the 24L paddles extremely well. I was surprised how good it floats me.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Well, I noticed XTR changed the description of the HS recently to match the FW one as a DD. So, I assume Tomo changed the file that he gave them at some point

Reactions: jkb

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
So, your saying your XTR HS goes best above chest-high, up to just OH, but not too steep? That's practically a step-up for SoCal! lol
Yeah, tweaking it to something like the SKX sounds about right to market it as a DD. Thanks for the intel, Deforest.
Yeah, pretty much. It can handle a steep drop, but not as well as my Hydronaut can. Front side or backside, the Hydronaut makes a drop almost automatically. It's true what Daniel was saying about that torpedo/dolphin/whatever nose; it really doesn't dig like a pointy one would, and the shape just pushes the water around it...or something.

Reactions: oeste858

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Well, I noticed XTR changed the description of the HS recently to match the FW one as a DD. So, I assume Tomo changed the file that he gave them at some point
Must be an older file vs. a newer one then.

I bet I'd really like the newer one. This is what I was hoping the range would be on my original one, but it was very similar to the range Goodfish describes.

I'll have to put in an order at some point. Sounds like it would be a fun board!

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
errb, I seek ye wisdom...Got my eye on a 4 year old, surfed once, immaculate GMM2 by XTR. Asking price is $400-500 with a set of AM2s. Does is still shred the gnar or will the pop have left it even though it's just been sitting in a garage?

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
I think a 4 year old XTR would still have plenty of life. :unsure: I think epoxy is chemically a durable material... what ye errd reckon??

Are you sure its 4 years old? That must have been right around the time that model came out?? Circa 2015?