Tomo MPH

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Finally got a good feel for the "Revo". Hopefully @spjones123 and @JDJ can add their feelings on this board as well.
Here are my thoughts on it.

DESCRIPTION: This board feels very cruisey/flowy/smooth and transitions from rail to rail effortlessly. The parallel outline seems like it causes the board to drive down the line. The tail rocker on this board is less than the Cymatic but more aggressive than the "Evo". The nose rocker is significant, and higher entry than the Cymatic. The tail width is more pulled-in than compared to the Cymatic (I measured about 1/4 inch on each side). To me, this board feels like a speed machine and seems to excel in almost anything. With an upright fin setup you can make this board go up into the lip but it seems to me that it wants to naturally drive down the line.

DIMS: 5'3" x 18 1/2 x 2 5/16 x 26L.

CONDITIONS: I have only ridden the board in short, junky, beach break conditions in Oceanside, CA. Because the board wants to naturally drive down the line I think a point break wave-type would be an ideal wave condition for this board. However, the rocker is low enough that i think it would suit a reef break as well.

Great all around boar!
Yewww!
Right on. I know you did not click with the Evo, so it's interesting to read your positive review of the Revo. It's really a great design IMO.

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Some will say its a gimmick... but sounds like a very interesting competitor to carbon fiber.

1648661224447.png

Basalt fiber is a relative newcomer to fiber reinforced polymers (FRPs) and structural composites. It has a similar chemical composition as glass fiber but has better strength characteristics, and unlike most glass fibers is highly resistant to alkaline, acidic and salt attack making it a good candidate for surfboard manufacturing.

Compared to carbon and aramid fiber, it has the features of wider application temperature range -452° F to 1,200° F (-269° C to +650° C), higher oxidation resistance, higher radiation resistance, higher compression strength, and higher shear strength.

The cloth can withstand higher temperatures than that of carbon fiber and as a result is heavily used the Aerospace industry in the creation of rockets and jet engines. The elasticity characteristics of this fiber is higher than that of traditional Carbon fiber allowing the board to have more flex for a natural feel under foot.

Volcanic Tech is made from Basalt Fibers Extruded from Volcanic Rocks that are crushed, melted and extruded into woven fibers that make up the cloth. The manufacture of basalt fiber requires the melting of the crushed and washed basalt rock at about 1,500 °C (2,730 °F). The molten rock is then extruded through small nozzles to produce continuous filaments of basalt fiber. Those filaments are then chopped into long stem fibers and woven into lamination cloth fiber. The cloth has similar characteristics to carbon as it relates to strength and weight however because the fibers are derived from Organic Raw materials, when combined with Bio Resins it serves as better degradable ECO alternative than using traditional carbon fiber cloth.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Only downside is they dont make any sizes for smaller humans...
Smallest size is a 5'7 x 19 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 30.3L

Reactions: tarpon

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
@ReForest have you ridden the El Tomo setup as a quad and twin? which version goes better? fin placement of the rear trailers on the quad always looked wonky to me.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@ReForest have you ridden the El Tomo setup as a quad and twin? which version goes better? fin placement of the rear trailers on the quad always looked wonky to me.
Because the tail is so wide I feel like the Keel set up is much better. It allows for tighter turns. Also feels faster with only two fins. I say keel fin set up is better!

Reactions: tedshred5 and Aruka
Jan 4, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
Some will say its a gimmick... but sounds like a very interesting competitor to carbon fiber.

View attachment 127059

Basalt fiber is a relative newcomer to fiber reinforced polymers (FRPs) and structural composites. It has a similar chemical composition as glass fiber but has better strength characteristics, and unlike most glass fibers is highly resistant to alkaline, acidic and salt attack making it a good candidate for surfboard manufacturing.

Compared to carbon and aramid fiber, it has the features of wider application temperature range -452° F to 1,200° F (-269° C to +650° C), higher oxidation resistance, higher radiation resistance, higher compression strength, and higher shear strength.

The cloth can withstand higher temperatures than that of carbon fiber and as a result is heavily used the Aerospace industry in the creation of rockets and jet engines. The elasticity characteristics of this fiber is higher than that of traditional Carbon fiber allowing the board to have more flex for a natural feel under foot.

Volcanic Tech is made from Basalt Fibers Extruded from Volcanic Rocks that are crushed, melted and extruded into woven fibers that make up the cloth. The manufacture of basalt fiber requires the melting of the crushed and washed basalt rock at about 1,500 °C (2,730 °F). The molten rock is then extruded through small nozzles to produce continuous filaments of basalt fiber. Those filaments are then chopped into long stem fibers and woven into lamination cloth fiber. The cloth has similar characteristics to carbon as it relates to strength and weight however because the fibers are derived from Organic Raw materials, when combined with Bio Resins it serves as better degradable ECO alternative than using traditional carbon fiber cloth.

Beautiful!

Aesthetically I don't like the FCS boxes in twins, Futures looks much better.

Anyways El Tomo Twin with a round nose would be cool.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Beautiful!

Aesthetically I don't like the FCS boxes in twins, Futures looks much better.

Anyways El Tomo Twin with a round nose would be cool.
You'll probably like the looks of FCS boxes better than Futures when the box is still intact. Lots of rolled boxes using twins with Futures and people trying to stabilize the boxes with dowels.

It's a bummer since there are so many more twin options with Futures. I've heard denser foams (Varial, XTR) eliminate the potential issue with Futures and twin fins.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019
Tip of the cap to Reforest....Tomo will be finishing with the XTR option. Im glad I got my last order in, seems a few others did too. The xtr/tomo combo has supplied me with some great durable boars, the FST was just too brittle for what I needed.