Tomo MPH

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
@ReForest - How big did you order the prior GMM2?

I forgot and frankly don't want to check back through this thread.

So, that said, maybe consider a 5'3" x 18-3/4" x 2-5/16" GMM2 next? Basically, these dims but just slightly wider. That will be a much larger volumed board given the tail, the nose and the board in general - pretty much what you're shooting for is your volume from your normal shortboard plus about .75 liters.

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@ReForest - How big did you order the prior GMM2?

I forgot and frankly don't want to check back through this thread.

So, that said, maybe consider a 5'3" x 18-3/4" x 2-5/16" GMM2 next? Basically, these dims but just slightly wider. That will be a much larger volumed board given the tail, the nose and the board in general - pretty much what you're shooting for is your volume from your normal shortboard plus about .75 liters.
My last GMM2 was 5'0 x 18 1/4 x 2 1/4.
The issue I had with the GMM2 was that it felt like i was riding a boogie board. Short and wide. lol.
I feel like if I order another one it would have to be around 5'3 x 18 x 2 1/4. Somewhere along the size of a Vader and Evo combined. To be honest, I wasn't too crazy about the squared off nose either. I like the softer rounded features of the Evo nose or the pulled in diamond nose on the Vader and Deathstar.

I'm sure at some point I will revisit the GMM2, but for right now I'm let that dog rest. But don't tell goodfish... i don't want to discourage him.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
My last GMM2 was 5'0 x 18 1/4 x 2 1/4.
The issue I had with the GMM2 was that it felt like i was riding a boogie board. Short and wide. lol.
I feel like if I order another one it would have to be around 5'3 x 18 x 2 1/4. Somewhere along the size of a Vader and Evo combined. To be honest, I wasn't too crazy about the squared off nose either. I like the softer rounded features of the Evo nose or the pulled in diamond nose on the Vader and Deathstar.

I'm sure at some point I will revisit the GMM2, but for right now I'm let that dog rest. But don't tell goodfish... i don't want to discourage him.
Riding a 5'8 GMM2 that feels like surfing a bodyboard might be kinda fun...

IMG_7619 2.jpg

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
:ROFLMAO: Oh man... Goodfish is killing me!

I didn't say I didn't like the GMM2. It just wasn't the type of board I wanted to play with and work out. JKB rips on his and RK makes that board look so great. I just didn't feel it was for me.

But that dude on that 4" board is crooozin!

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and santacruzin

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
:ROFLMAO: Oh man... Goodfish is killing me!

I didn't say I didn't like the GMM2. It just wasn't the type of board I wanted to play with and work out. JKB rips on his and RK makes that board look so great. I just didn't feel it was for me.

But that dude on that 4" board is crooozin!
Buy the board, I stop.

#YOLO

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and sh3

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
my nano and v4 are best tomos I have owned
I was such a skeptic when I look back on the early days of this thread. Then I bought a Nano and with the first wave on it the whole modern planing hull concept was validated for me. I eventually sold it to a guy from an Aussie forum who had been asking me constantly to sell it to him as he couldn't find one. I caved in and he took it to Indo where he was based and the board met its end there snapped. It was fixed but never as good again.
The Nano is one of those rare boards where I had one and sold it then down the track figured to get another one and re-kindle the fire and it still delivers. So often that's not the case with other boards that I'd found I had moved on from the design in my surfing.
It's like this old thread: still delivers on a current day read through...there's even a precursor YOLO reference by DeForest hidden in there.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Is the Hydrodynamica Cybersim pretty much the same thing as a Nano?
No, I believe RK said Tomo evolved the Nano from CyberSim, so maybe a step further from MiniSim and towards shortboar. Proportions are probably different, CS is pretty much a tombstone outline. Fun boar but more similar to GMM2 than say, an Evo, or other hybrid/alt boars

Reactions: MrSteve

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
CyberSim has subtle bottom contours. Great small wave board, but with the range of the GMM2. No dramatic concave or channels or anything. It's a fun as hell board.