Tomo MPH

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Refo: if you could please compare and contrast the following in similar sized dims. What are they good at, what are they not as good at, etc...I started out thinking Id ask about all of them, but decided to start a discussion by adding the ones Ive had experience with. Maybe fill in the blanks with the rest? Most interested in Hydroshort, but Id be curious about what you think about the others because Ive had the ones I put comments next to:

Vanguard - Fastest board of the bunch for me, but does not draw a very curvy line, if that makes sense. I liken it to a fish, great speed in a straight line, doesnt draw the best turns.
El Tomo - ?
Vader - Had one for a short time, but never clicked with it - got a Cymatic which made the Vader feel obsolete. Maybe I missed out on the Vader's virtues?
Evo - Slower than the Vanguard, but draws nice smooth lines. Rocker seems to be tuned like a hybrid: pretty flat, so it works in average conditions, but I struggle to use it on anything steeper.
Omni -?
Cymatic: Demands a pocket, great rocker/tail, very whippy/snappy.
Hydroshort -?
Bonus, for any others that you think of!
Vanguard - Fastest board of the bunch for me, but does not draw a very curvy line, if that makes sense. I liken it to a fish, great speed in a straight line, doesnt draw the best turns.
I've never ridden the Vanguard so I don’t have any input on this one.

El Tomo - ?
DUAL FIN: For me – I liked the El Tomo (dual fin) but I struggled with getting the right size and right fins and ended up moving on to other models. I’m not really a twin fin guy, but I’ve always wanted one. I liked the 5’5 size the best with the Akila Aipa fins. I just recently purchased one of Dan’s personal El Tomo dual fins so I can revisit the design. We’ll see how she goes.
QUAD FIN: I loved the El Tomo Quad. It was very easy to ride and really fast. The tail was really wide so you had to make sure your foot was all the way back, but it went really well. Lots of hold through your turns. Really grippy and fast.

Vader - Had one for a short time, but never clicked with it - got a Cymatic which made the Vader feel obsolete. Maybe I missed out on the Vader's virtues?
For me the Vader was a board that needed to be surfed top to bottom. I love the Vader but I think models like the Cymatic and the OB1 are better and offer more control. However, if you’re a Tomo fan I think the Vader is a board that you must try.

Evo - Slower than the Vanguard, but draws nice smooth lines. Rocker seems to be tuned like a hybrid: pretty flat, so it works in average conditions, but I struggle to use it on anything steeper.
The Evo is a great board. You’ve ridden it so you know how it feels. I rode the Evo for about a year straight and it really helped improve my surfing.
I think the new Revo is a huge improvement and might be something you’d be interested in. It's supposed to handle better conditions well. Its supposed to be a more refined version of the Evo. It might be something that you'd be interested in. XTR and Dan is AUS can make this one. That one is definitely next on the list.

Omni -?
Omni was a fun board but I think the Hydroshort roundtail is a progression of this design and I prefer the longer rail line of the Hydroshort and the torpedo nose profile. However, if you like really short boards or blunt nose boards then the Omni is a great board. Timmy says the Omni is one of the best barrel boards he’s every ridden.

Cymatic: Demands a pocket, great rocker/tail, very whippy/snappy.
Sounds like you know this board as well. I rode a Cymatic for a year straight too. Such a great board! The rocker, battail and everything about this board is excellent.

Hydroshort -?
This is my new favorite board. I think the design and the helium tech make this model amazing. Longer rail line so you can ride it in overhead surf. Turns great. Super fast. Very light weight. The construction is strong and durable. The rocker isn’t too extreme so it handles smaller waves well. This board is probably a 1 board quiver IMO. I always have fun on this board and it has worked in every condition.

Bonus, for any others that you think of!
I’ve heard the Deathstar is the fastest board out of the bunch (@jkb ).

I’ve also ridden the X-wing and that’s a fun board… if you like a board with low tail rocker and nose rocker.

The OB1 custom from AUS is another one of my favorites. It feels loose like a fish and turns really tight and smooth with that nice diamond tail. It does get a little skatey, and has a lot of lift, when the waves are powerful. But it’s a fun board for turns in about head high to a little over head surf.

My personal favorites at the moment are Hydroshort and OB1. But im testing the new model and El Tomo dual fin… so we’ll see.

:shaka:

Reactions: jkb, JDJ and cdes

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
A lot of these boards cover the same range, or are best in the same size range: chest to HH - so there is a lot of overlap. Thanks for taking the time to write all of this down, it really gives me a good picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: ANIMA

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Yeah, Deathstar was a bat out of hell!!

I had one of those GPS trackers on it and I think my record was 29mph on that board. My next closest board was like 26mph.

Reactions: SharkBoy

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
@cdes You're welcome. There is a lot of overlap in his designs. But that can be said about any brand. It just depends on what kind of surfing you want to do.

@jkb makes me want to order a deathstar now. ha. 29 MPH! o_O Wowza!

1594251614893.png

• Haha
Reactions: jkb

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Nice. that's easier to see what's going on than just looking at the Revo by itself photo. So, slightly pulled in at nose and tail for a curvier outline. How much difference does it make in the water? You like? Looks like halfway to a Hydroshort RT.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Those both look fun

The dims look kinda close to what I would probably get.

Having never ridden a Tomo, how would a 5-8 Tomo compare to a 5-8 fish of similar volume as far as paddling and wave catching?

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I’ve never been on a Hydroshort, so I don’t want to talk out of my @$$. But the Revo, to me, has just enough tweaks to the Evo, to take it from a speciality board, to a more normal feeling everyday board... and this may sound dumb because they're so similar, but man is the Revo easier to duck dive. I used to have a 5’5 Evo. I never felt like I pushed it past it’s limits. But I stopped taking it out in 5ft SF beach break because it was exhausting getting under waves.

Versus my old RNF Retro...if the RNF was a 10 paddling the Revo is a 9 (the RNF was 1L less than my Revo). A fish is just going to have more width- no way around that. But something about the straight rail line of the Evo series just makes it glide into waves.

* take all of the above with a grain of salt since I really like the Evo/Revo series. That 5’7 Evo was a friend’s. I took it out on a tiny day and haven’t given it back. It’s now my grovel board and Revo is for everything else.

Reactions: jkb, JDJ and Aruka

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Revo looks so sick! I had always imagined it would be more like a hydroshort with a chopped nose. That thing looks epic.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
...Having never ridden a Tomo, how would a 5-8 Tomo compare to a 5-8 fish of similar volume as far as paddling and wave catching?
IMO Tomos don't paddle great because I ride them so short, but they catch waves well. The fish would paddle better because they have the width under the chest, whereas many of the Tomo MPHs spread the volume out like a rectangle to keep a more parallel/straight rail line (which makes them fly). This may not be the case for the curvier models like SKX, Sci-Fi2.0, Hydronaut/short, which I haven't tried.
I've never had a problem duck diving on an Evo, but on bigger days (or when there's a lot of high tide water moving around the reef), I do get pushed around a bit underwater on these small boards... but I think that'd be true for most lightweight boards <5'8".

Reactions: jkb and Aruka

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Dan’s MPH designs don’t move around the lineup all that great (if they’re sized down) but they get into waves very easily, more so than far bigger boards. I think his torpedo nose boards paddle as well as a hpsb that are three to five inches longer.

Oct 30, 2019
does anyone have an opinion about the "tomo tech" ie the build that he's using in Australia? it's explained at the bottom of this page https://www.tomosurf.com/hydroshort-round

"Tomo Tech features a Stringerless 2.2lb EPS core, strengthened by Triple 15mm Carbon Reinforcing Strips - top and bottom. 100% Epoxy Bio Resin with a combination of S-Glass / Bi-Axial or E-Glass/S-Glass layup. Customizable for desired flex / strength characteristics."

would like to know:

* how do you think it rides? e.g. compare to poly, LFT, helium or XTR

* flex?

* durability?

thx!

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
It’s a pretty standard stringerless eps set up that basically every manufacturer uses.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
waxfoot - thank you for the very insightful response. it's rare to get such deep insight on ERBB.
My sarcasm detector is blinking.

@ANIMA has personal experience with his specific boards, but as I say ... there's no marketable special sauce here, no carbon rods, no deck skins, no paralell rails, no wood rails, no wrap around shenanigans. That's not casting a judgement on the equality or how well it works, but you're basically asking "how does a well made EPS board feel"

Maybe you need to be clearer with your question and tell us what your experience with EPS is thus far, have you ever had an stringerless EPS board?

Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I like it. As waxfoot said, it's a well made stringerless EPS board with a nice blank that is not too light.

Oct 30, 2019
The closest boards I've ridden to how the AUS Tomo feels are by Coil. Similar flex/sping out of turns. I mostly agree that it "looks like" a standard stringerless EPS design. just wondering if anyone knows more - but maybe (as you say) there is no "more" to it. Just have Kina Road cut it, Tomo QC it, then glass it tight and you're done.

However.

Does "Bio-Resin" make any difference? How much does the specific carbon inlay pattern matter? How bout the particulars of the

"S-Glass / Bi-Axial or E-Glass/S-Glass"

options?

what about the " Triple 15mm Carbon Reinforcing Strips" ?

Does everyone do 15mm? Does everyone triple it?

Just curious if anyone knows more or has comparisons that are relevant to understanding these details.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Tomo-Tech: a surfboard feature requiring 30+ words when three will suffice.

e.g., Tomo Tech features a Stringerless 2.2lb EPS core, strengthened by Triple 15mm Carbon Reinforcing Strips - top and bottom. 100% Epoxy Bio Resin with a combination of S-Glass / Bi-Axial or E-Glass/S-Glass layup. Customizable for desired flex / strength characteristics

vs.

Standard stringerless EPS

Reactions: maxfieldmiles