Tomo MPH

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
Great review with lots of information on fins and the board.

I personally rode the 5'5 and loved it, but I think sizing down is the way to go (5'4"). Noel looks great on the board and sounds like he genuinely loves it too. Hes claiming best HP Fish he's ever ridden :oops: Great review.

I really liked Noel’s surfing in that vid. I didn’t like the look of the board in Tomo’s video but now I realize that it’s those fins. I love the creativity and all, but they don’t make the board look very good.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Why is Gary McNeill shipping Tomos?
haha! Thats @Goodfish making a joke about his experience with Gary.

I was quoted 2 weeks for repair
So only 10 more days or so till I can ride it

I think you will be fine . I have bad luck with shipped boards
The boards didnt look that bad at all! I'm surprised 2 weeks for a repair. :(
Thats a bummer @retodd

• Dislike
Reactions: Goodfish

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I really liked Noel’s surfing in that vid. I didn’t like the look of the board in Tomo’s video but now I realize that it’s those fins. I love the creativity and all, but they don’t make the board look very good.
I didnt click with the Tom fins either. They seemed too stiff and wouldn't pivot very well. Im glad Noel touch on those fins because I wasn't sure if it was just my experience or if others felt the same way.

The Krypt Powerdrive fins worked much better IMO. I compared them side by side with the Tomo fins and the base is more narrow on the Powerdrive and its obvious a full blade vs. the Tomo fins that have a wider base and the blade is cut out into two tips. There is also a small concave on the outside of the Tomo fins in between the two tips on the blade. I dont think the design of the fin allow the fin to flex, so it sort of loses the magic of that fin design. If the blade extended out more and the base was a bit more narrow i think it would flex and grip and might be pretty insane.

Albeit, if you are in the 160-200lbs zone, the fins might work better for you.
(rant over) :bricks:.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
My last session with the powerdrive hatchet fins made me want to throw them in the trash. Completely unpredictable in chest high punchy waves- catching when they should’ve released through a turn. They’ve been relegated to groveler waves only. I am tempted to try them as quad rears now, although I had actually thought the opposite: that they might work as quad fronts with more conventional rears to release predictably at the end of a turn.
@retodd ?

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Only tried the power drive Keels and quad
First board was the Raptor with the angled leading edge . The f16 model from way back . Felt good

Second board was the grovel v3 I think it was called. The single inverted vee channel with the smooth leading edge keels . That board was very hot and cold

Third was the old spyko. First gen of the JJ foiled hatchet quads. One sesh in pumping lefts . A very strong no thank you

For tomo boars.
Merick thrusters
K2.1 front and flat sided g1000 rears as a quad
Pretty much perfect

Reactions: oeste858

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
My last session with the powerdrive hatchet fins made me want to throw them in the trash. Completely unpredictable in chest high punchy waves- catching when they should’ve released through a turn. They’ve been relegated to groveler waves only. I am tempted to try them as quad rears now, although I had actually thought the opposite: that they might work as quad fronts with more conventional rears to release predictably at the end of a turn.
@retodd ?
As fronts with conventional rears or controllers rears (even better) would be my choice versus the opposite that was suggested.

Reactions: oeste858 and jkb

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
surfed my OG nano mph in the last run of south swells. Got 3 nuggets one surprisingly uncrowded and kookless day.
That board is still so fun. I think I need to get a new one. Is that still possible ? I am very much out of the board whore loop.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
So weird. I love the PD hatchet fins. Maybe its the weight? Are you guys heavier than 150lbs?
Yes, I am a fully-grown adult man. LOL. :p

@retodd Thanks, Fin Sensei.
I know a lot of guys like Carvers in Tomos, but I like a more upright fin- Med performer or even reactor. To each his own. I am going to try to hunt down a small trailer for those sets though after hearing @jkb describe his setups.
And I’m not taking those futures Machado thrusters out of my Evo. So far, so buttery!

Also, riding the GMM2 the past couple days, been impressed/reminded of its versatility. I'm beginning to suspect the secret sauce of Tomo’s boards might be that bottom channel down the center. I‘m sure many consider it a gimmick, but it really feels so good on rail and holding a line on some unexpectedly steep wall sections that popped up today. this board feels like it has a wider range of conditions than my older GMM1.5 that doesn’t have the full belly channel.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
So it's pronounce "Tom-mo", not "Toe-mo"?
Yeah dude. He's from Australia. Do you ever notice that they add an "-O" to the end of names affectionately? Dean Morrison, probably became Dean-o which became Dingo... I think Tomo is this type of modification of his last name.

Reactions: Lowqi2 and ANIMA

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
Yeah dude. He's from Australia. Do you ever notice that they add an "-O" to the end of names affectionately? Dean Morrison, probably became Dean-o which became Dingo... I think Tomo is this type of modification of his last name.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was more like "Tomohawk" missiles cuz he digs jetfighters and you will just "blow up" when you show up with his boards:D