Tomo MPH

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Out of interest, is it possible to order customer firewires?
I sounds like a broken record, but as much as I'd love to get one of these, I'd no way spend the money, unless I can get a spray job done on it to hide the yellowing.

The UV index here where I live in Australia is super high, so it leaves me wondering if it's as much of a problem in other parts of the world as it is here? My brother in law's Gamma was shocking after 3 months .. now a year later it looks like aboard that's decades old.

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
Out of interest, is it possible to order customer firewires?
I sounds like a broken record, but as much as I'd love to get one of these, I'd no way spend the money, unless I can get a spray job done on it to hide the yellowing.

The UV index here where I live in Australia is super high, so it leaves me wondering if it's as much of a problem in other parts of the world as it is here? My brother in law's Gamma was shocking after 3 months .. now a year later it looks like aboard that's decades old.

see 'em in the racks at shops looking that way in so cal

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
same here, but thats maybe after a little more time. The sun here is pretty gnarly, so as soon as you get it out in the surf, it just wrecks havoc on them.

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
I think if you know someone at Firewire you can get the stock boards with color. I know a guy in Costa Rica (i think) that had a problem with yellow boards. He ordered a hydroshort in all grey that looked pretty sick! I also know of some people that ordered a stock Firewire evo in all green and a stock no brained in all red and some stock seasides with color. I had a Cymatic with a grey top and white bottom (that was magic and I wish I never sold it) too.

I think Firewire is experimenting with colored boards but I don’t know how to order them that way.

if you’re in AUS waxfoot, why not just order custom from Tomo and get color??

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I thought the feel of LFT was good, but the durability was awful. Too easy to get cracks and dings on the rail. Won't get another in that construction. XTR for my Tomos.
FWIW- I saw a guy out on the new one today in 4-5' surf at local reef and he was absolutely ripping on it, very HP... but then again, he's a semi-pro who gets boards from FW and he always rips on everything. Looked fun!
Same experience here. Had a LFT Vader that was incredible, but disintegrated rapidly. XTR for Tomos is the way, the truth and the life.

Last edited:

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Rode an El Tomo today as a demo with the powerdrive fins. The board felt really good! I was surprised how good it felt. It's an easy board to ride. (I was told it has the same rocker as the evo so thats probably why it felt familiar). I rode the 5'5" with 27L and I couldn't tell it had that much foam. The rails in the middle are a little thick (2 3/8) but the tail has a hard edge and bites so it felt good. I had fun. Not sure if i'm gonna get one, but I really enjoyed the board.

Rode it in HB. High tide and kinda muchy... and it was doing fine.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Rode an El Tomo today as a demo with the powerdrive fins. The board felt really good! I was surprised how good it felt. It's an easy board to ride. (I was told it has the same rocker as the evo so thats probably why it felt familiar). I rode the 5'5" with 27L and I couldn't tell it had that much foam. The rails in the middle are a little thick (2 3/8) but the tail has a hard edge and bites so it felt good. I had fun. Not sure if i'm gonna get one, but I really enjoyed the board.

Rode it in HB. High tide and kinda muchy... and it was doing fine.
Did you like this version better or the old keel version better?

To be honest, I didn't like the way the new one looked in the video. Looked like it lacked some drive and Dans turns were a bit twitchy. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the those fins and not the board itself. I'd be curious to see some footage of him on it riding a traditional quad template.

Reactions: Goodfish

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Better hold and drive with the quad (obvious) so I like this one better. I like the rails on the one I bought from you tho. That board has some nice foiled rails.

At first, I thought the board looked a little small on him, but i think its just the design of the board.

I was talking with a friend about his surfing too. He mentioned his turns looked a little flat and not on rail. I thought he was shredding... but it did seem like he was missing something. It didnt seem as high performance surfing as he did on that edit of the hydroshort a while back. He was probably trying to figure out fin setups -- like you said.

Reactions: Havoc and jkb

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Did you like this version better or the old keel version better?

To be honest, I didn't like the way the new one looked in the video. Looked like it lacked some drive and Dans turns were a bit twitchy. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the those fins and not the board itself. I'd be curious to see some footage of him on it riding a traditional quad template.
Yeah, I thought it seemed a bit slow in the vid. He’s usually moving much faster and in a hundred different directions.

Reactions: jkb

surfMOMster

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 18, 2003
Redondo Ave's
My 5'6" Sci-Fi has been such a fun and versatile board. I can really feel how the MPH adds more speed and drive over some of my other boards. I knew I wanted a Hydroshort as well.

XTR had a stock 5'2.5" / 23.7L Hydroshort on their website a short while ago, I snagged a good deal with the coupon codes (thanks erBB). I've only had less than 20 waves on it so far, and I'm still figuring out the front-foot sweet spot for my 5'8" frame.
Running a quad. YU's in the front, Blackstix 80/20 rears.

50 yr old wannabe, trying to boost this morning.

Sapphire.Jan26.20.Ajpg.jpg

Sapphire.Jan26.20.Bjpg.jpg

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Nothing special... but the photos came out pretty cool. I think its interesting how that tail cuts through the water. You can see a sort of jetstream flowing off the tail. You can also see the water flowing off the powerdrive fins in the 2nd photo.
All the technical aspects of the board seem to be working as intended. :shaka:

Last edited: