Tomo MPH

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
For anyone still riding the Evo...
I've been liking mine the past year or so with AM2 thrusters. I've tried a few other go-to quad sets and didnt like them as much as the AMs.
Cut to the past couple weeks I've tried what I can now confirm is a "magic" setup for my weight (185lbs). QUAD.
AM2 fronts with Von Sol stiletto rears. Goes insane. Balanced, speedy, drivey, loose, etc all the things that make a great sensation.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone that might want to try.

Reactions: schex

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
For anyone still riding the Evo...
I've been liking mine the past year or so with AM2 thrusters. I've tried a few other go-to quad sets and didnt like them as much as the AMs.
Cut to the past couple weeks I've tried what I can now confirm is a "magic" setup for my weight (185lbs). QUAD.
AM2 fronts with Von Sol stiletto rears. Goes insane. Balanced, speedy, drivey, loose, etc all the things that make a great sensation.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone that might want to try.
I took your advice and i've ridden this setup for the past couple sessions. I like how easy it turns, but it lacks a lot of drive. It kinda feels like the gap from the back part of the front fin, to the front part of the rear fin is too wide. If the stiletto rear was a little wider (but remaining the same upright template) I think it would have more drive and be a really good set up.

Maybe the fin placement is different on the Hydroshort too! (IDK). I like the stilettos though. I may try and mess around with them on some other wider boards. Thanks for the suggestion.

FYI: I am getting some reactor rear fins to try with AM2 front. We'll see how that goes! ;):shaka:

schex

Miki Dora status
Jun 9, 2015
OB/Point Loma
I have an Evo and a Hydroshort - I weigh 185 6'1" - always love the am2's as a thruster in everything - probably should play around with quad set ups more but have found that quads feel like they need to be turning rail to rail to work well. I do like that a quad on the Evo will allow a more angled drop on steeper waves - but if it's hollower I just grab the Cymatic

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Deforest - those are medium AMs (close to futures AM1). AM2s are bigger than the FCS AM Large. Wouldn’t expect that set up to feel the same...

Reactions: deforestcooper

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Deforest - those are medium AMs (close to futures AM1). AM2s are bigger than the FCS AM Large. Wouldn’t expect that set up to feel the same...
So maybe a large AM fcs fin with these stilletos? I didnt like the feeling of this set up. Not enough drive for me.

I just got some reactor rears (flat foiled - which was nice). Gonna try those with these AM fronts tomorrow and see how it goes.

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
So if the Stilletos are 80/20 Deforest, a flat foiled rear fin will definitely feel drivier. Are you sure the Reactor rears are flat foiled? Always thought they had some inside foil.
Hmmm. I going to have to double check both of those fins! At first sight, I thought the Stilleto's were flat foiled, but they may have had a small foil -- ill double check.

The reactors for sure are flat foiled. It was one of the 1st things I noticed. I think I remember reading a thread on here (if i remember correctly) that the older version reactor quads were 50/50? Not sure, but these are flat foiled which i think im going to like. I'm just not sure if the AM front are the way to go, or if i should get some reactor front fins? What do you guys think?

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Also, did you guys see Kelly riding that Tomo 5'3" Cymatic at Haleiwa!! :eek: Looked like the fastest board out of the entire contest!

Check out his fin setup. Looks like reactor front, performer rears, and a FCS nubster. Maybe a von sol nubster??

Reactions: schex

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Hmmm. I going to have to double check both of those fins! At first sight, I thought the Stilleto's were flat foiled, but they may have had a small foil -- ill double check.

The reactors for sure are flat foiled. It was one of the 1st things I noticed. I think I remember reading a thread on here (if i remember correctly) that the older version reactor quads were 50/50? Not sure, but these are flat foiled which i think im going to like. I'm just not sure if the AM front are the way to go, or if i should get some reactor front fins? What do you guys think?
If the reactors rears are flat foiled, I would try them with the AM fronts first before switching that out. That's the kind of set-up I preferred on quads......front rakey fin and an upright flat foiled rear fin. Then if that doesn't feel right, start toning down that front fin with less rake.

But quads are finicky to get right. You have to experiment a bit.

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
If the reactors rears are flat foiled, I would try them with the AM fronts first before switching that out. That's the kind of set-up I preferred on quads......front rakey fin and an upright flat foiled rear fin. Then if that doesn't feel right, start toning down that front fin with less rake.

But quads are finicky to get right. You have to experiment a bit.
Thanks Jake! What about AM thruster set up vs. Reactor thruster setup?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
For grovelers, step downs and hpsb thrusters, I've always preferred an upright set-up like the Reactors. I never liked the AM thruster set-up TBH, but for some that's their go to in everything. I have a MF and GG set for my Hydronaut (the step-up version with the rounded pin) however.

Funny thing though, I do like the AMs when they are the front fins of a quad set-up.

Reactions: ZeeHawk

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
For grovelers, step downs and hpsb thrusters, I've always preferred an upright set-up like the Reactors. I never liked the AM thruster set-up TBH, but for some that's their go to in everything. I have a MF and GG set for my Hydronaut (the step-up version with the rounded pin) however.

Funny thing though, I do like the AMs when they are the front fins of a quad set-up.
Hmmm. Interesting. Sounds like I will put in an order for the reactor thruster set then...
I'm trying to expand the fin quiver right now. :) Cheap way to get re-stoked on the same boards.

Funny... Tomo said the same thing about the MF fins -- he prefers them for bigger waves.

Reactions: jkb

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
For those of you who have surfed an Evo, what type of waves do you think it works best in? Thanks.
I'm coming back to answer my own question after surfing my latest Evo for a while. I am liking it best when the waves are chest high plus in southern California. I've tried a few sets of fins, but I'm liking the Futures EA Control thruster set best.

Reactions: jkb