Tomo MPH

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Yeah, it's 4 years old. It's XTR SL with the blue stringer and the old school Tomo logo. We ordered some boards together and got them shipped here. I think I might have to pull ze trigger...

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Holding off for now. $400 for a 4 year old board (even if it hasn't been surfed much) in the wrong flex construction for my weight seems a bit steep as the fins are also out of the deal now.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Geez. That is a bit high!

Funny how Casa made a comment that the value of used Tomo boards are declining. Doesn’t seem that way in this case.
Original price was around $800.

Owner is trying to sell for $400 and is throwing in a set of fins as a bonus.

Still can't sell even to a frother.

In Taiwan. (see: scarcity principle / market economics)

So yes, I would say the value of that board has declined.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Original price was around $800.

Owner is trying to sell for $400 and is throwing in a set of fins as a bonus.

Still can't sell even to a frother.

In Taiwan. (see: scarcity principle / market economics)

So yes, I would say the value of that board has declined.
Fins got taken out of the deal. I woulda got it if they were included. He's also selling a 4-year old EVO that's never been surfed or waxed. Wants $675 for it.

A lot of people here put very high prices on their secondhand boards. A friend of mine tried to sell a 7 year-old FW Dominator for $400/500. Don't know if they sell or not. I usually just put a price I think is reasonable on the ones I want to let go of. They sell pretty quick.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I think it can vary a lot depending on the model. There are so many SKX and SciFis on CL, a buyer should be able to name the price. On the other hand, I don't think your average FW Tomo buyer would even know what something like the GMM design is (since Tomo really didn't market it) or why they would pay more for XTR construction. It took me months to sell a GMM last year, and I've currently got a 5'8" 32.9L GMM2 for sale on CL in SD and have had exactly one email about it. I have another that I ride often and just don't ride this one. I'm hoping to get $550 for it, otherwise I'm honestly happy to hang onto it. But we'll see.

Also, Goodfish, I wouldn't worry about the SL construction not having Carbon or whatever. If it's under 5'9", I think you'd have a hard time buckling it in the type of waves it goes best in. I've never had a problem with SL or the blue HD stringer on these boards.

Reactions: Goodfish

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Im not talking chit Casa... just saying...

For example, how much did you pay for your custom 5'8" Sharp Eye HT 2.5? Im guessing at least $700.00...

and its on the Used Surf website for $300.00.
Not my board? Diff dims.

Thats a less percentage than what a 4 year old Tomo is going for?
"Going for" is actually selling.

The board Goodfish mentioned is not selling at the current pricepoint. Even in Taiwan, where very few of those boards even exist.

Over the years I have seen many, many newer and older XTR Tomos linger on Craigslist forever (YEARS) because they're priced too high.

As far as I'm concerned riding a board halves the value if you want to sell it promptly.

Buying someone else's used custom board for say $600 when the new price is $800 just seems dumb IMO...Might as well pay the extra $200 and get your own dims and the peace of mind knowing it wasn't left in a 200 degree car for six hours.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I can tell you that selling an XTR is lost on 95% of craigslisters. They just see it says "Epoxy Pro" and they think it's EPS.

I usually just sell a board for what I think it'll sell for, not what I want to get back out of it. Otherwise you'll be trying to sell it for a long time. Just take your loss as part of the process. Waves are free, boards aren't.

But I'd pay $600 for an unused Evo if I was in Taiwan. What the hell is shipping from Oceanside (or Lennox) to there??

Reactions: SD_Dan and oeste858

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
At first I was thinking wow Noel looks incredible, then realized it's sped up. You can always tell by how unnatural their arms swing.
Yea indeed, I also look at the wave breaking / people padding in the background, it looks unnatural. Did they speed it up to 'make it look like they're surfing faster', or was it a device used to squeeze in a lot of footage. If the former, that sucks, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
As far as I'm concerned riding a board halves the value if you want to sell it promptly.

Buying someone else's used custom board for say $600 when the new price is $800 just seems dumb IMO...Might as well pay the extra $200 and get your own dims and the peace of mind knowing it wasn't left in a 200 degree car for six hours.
Yeah, this is my thinking too.

I can tell you that selling an XTR is lost on 95% of craigslisters. They just see it says "Epoxy Pro" and they think it's EPS.

I usually just sell a board for what I think it'll sell for, not what I want to get back out of it. Otherwise you'll be trying to sell it for a long time. Just take your loss as part of the process. Waves are free, boards aren't.

But I'd pay $600 for an unused Evo if I was in Taiwan. What the hell is shipping from Oceanside (or Lennox) to there??
Same here. Sell it for what you think you'll get for it.

Oceanside to Taiwan is $239. It stings, but I prefer it to the Firewire route. They charge around $900 for a Slater Designs/new Tomo here, but the most ridiculous thing is you have to wait 3 months for it! I can get an custom XTR here in 6-8 weeks.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That FW wait time is nuts. Seems like they should be able to just take one off the line at the factory and get it to you in a few days.