Tommy Bahama shirts - Yay or Nay

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Because I am genuinely interested in sowing division and loathing amoungst my fellow humans, I am seeking to understand the consensus opinion on Tommy Bahama shirts, or Tommy Bahama knock-offs.

Are they just a form of re-branded Aloha shirt or a distinct type unto their own?

Are the people who wear them better or worse than people who don't wear button shirts when the temperatures climb?

Which is best to wear to work on Friday?

I will say I do not own a Tommy Bahama shirt but I own some Aloha shirts.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
Tommy's are fine IMO as long as they don't have those huge stupid logos of cocktails or parrots or bill fish other stupid stuff on the back. If they are simple solid colors or floral print (like a Hawaiian shirt) then they are cool by me.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
It depends.

Will you be pairing these with some bedazzled True Religion jeans, snake skinned cowboy boots, and a fedora while you blare some Jimmy Buffet?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Had one a chick bought me back in 2000. Never again.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
However, I can safely recommend their restaurant on Hawaii.

https://bigislandguide.com/tommy-bahama-restaurant

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I work in an office on Oahu that is filled with senior fed government employees. The only people who wear Tommy Bahama shirts here are transplant kooks.

The shirts are hideous and I don't know any Hawaii local that would be caught dead wearing one.

slopokecr

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 28, 2007
I like the Tommy Bahama folding beach chair from Costco. It reclines and has a pillow--you can nap in it. The shirts? Meh.

ratfink

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 15, 2008
Texas Gulf de Mexico
sponge said:
Expensive but I like some of them. As an alternative, I highly recommend Quiksilver Silver Edition shirts. Btw, I always wear my aloha shirts untucked.
this....

Always bugged me to see 'em tucked in.
Front Street tourists in Bermuda shorts, black Oxfords, knee-high socks, tucked floral shirts....

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
jkb said:
It depends.

Will you be pairing these with some bedazzled True Religion jeans, snake skinned cowboy boots, and a fedora while you blare some Jimmy Buffet?
Beat me to it with the Jimmy Buffett crack :roflmao:
Doof, IIRC from the photos you posted, you’re too lean to rock a tommy bahama shirt. They are intentionally oversized so that their customers don’t feel fat, when they can where a large instead of an XXL.
If you want that style shirt, go with a tori ricard. Super comfy shirts with great designs :shaka: :beer:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
ratfink said:
sponge said:
Expensive but I like some of them. As an alternative, I highly recommend Quiksilver Silver Edition shirts. Btw, I always wear my aloha shirts untucked.
this....

Always bugged me to see 'em tucked in.
Front Street tourists in Bermuda shorts, black Oxfords, knee-high socks, tucked floral shirts....
Ha! Used to work with a couple of local engineers in HI that always went tucked. The operator guys would give them sh!t then we'd laugh, eat and all was good.