Tokoro Houdini model by Slater Designs

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
I want to be stoked that some of these long time shapers like tokoro, akila, etc. are getting a pay day but it's hard because I strongly feel that overall this is a negative thing for the surfboard industry.
My feelings too.
Because the materials are shoddy and these boards are built in Thailand? Or is there another negative aspect I'm missing?

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Because the materials are shoddy and these boards are built in Thailand? Or is there another negative aspect I'm missing?
The FW boards are definitely shoddy but aside from that I'd rather give my money to the people actually doing the work of building boards. The shapers, glassers and sanders, not marketeer wankers and shareholders who don't actually create anything.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
The FW boards are definitely shoddy but aside from that I'd rather give my money to the people actually doing the work of building boards. The shapers, glassers and sanders, not marketeer wankers and shareholders who don't actually create anything.
in addition to juan

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
I think that these shapers have an opportunity of a lifetime to reach a global market by releasing a board with Firewire. Not only will the shaper make money... they will reach thousands of people who would not have otherwise had access to these shapes. I think its a win win. I bet the Aipa boards are going to do really well too... So will these Tokoro boards.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I don't like where Wade puts his quad trailers, but other than that - shape looks good and I'm sure the rockers are money. Wade probably the best Pipe surfer/shaper out there.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Teeroi, have you tried one?
I posted a reply when this thread first popped up then I looked on the FW and Slater Design IG and they haven’t put anything up so I deleted my reply. Looks like Ezra deleted it off his IG too.

Maybe they’re going to feature it when Kelly surfs his heat at Haleiwa.

I had been asking Wade about his involvement with SD since he started making boards for Kelly last year. He told me it wasnt a secret that he was going to release a model with them.

I have mixed feelings which Wade knows. Happy he’s going to have boards available in places they’re not and any marketing it comes with. But I support local surfer made boards 100%.

Wade showed me the first production board they sent him to ok. It was a really light 6’3 off the file from the board Kelly rides at good size Pipe.
It’s basically the Tokoro 4 VC. Except in FW/SD construction.

The 4VC is one of the most successful designs in Triple Crown history. Sunny won 6 TC overall titles on the SG 4 which is the same bottom with Sunny’s rail.

SD came up with the new name from Kelly’s Pipe Master wave he fell in the barrel onto his board and stood back up. The commentators were calling him”Houdini.”

They were saying it a lot during Kellys heat at Teapuhoo when he fell behind Jack Freestone. He’s going to pull a Houdini and find a pit. He lost. Haha. They jinxed him.

Personally I won’t get one. Just have Wade and his team make me one.

Going for a surf. Been writing this waiting for the sun to pop up. Waves look fun. Going ride my 6’2 Tokoro 4X.