Today surfing hit a whole new level...

moby

Nep status
Nov 10, 2010
And I was there. Ground zero. I mean maybe. It's possible someone has witnessed this previously, but God help me, this is unprecedented in my experience.

So, I'm out surfing. Two foot waves. On the sets. It was so small, a set was probably six inches bigger than the waves I was letting go by. The water is cold, (of course not for you, because you surf in the arctic and live on an iceberg. Whatever.) And to get anything out of this, I'm riding a glider. So cold water. Me and one other guy. Tiny waves. BIG surfboards. But the sun was out and it was glassy. It beat working.

Then this third guy paddles out. He's kind of over a ways. And he's wearing a helmet. I mean, far be it from me to judge. Maybe he has a piece of his skull missing. Maybe the plate in his head plays right wing radio programs without the helmet. I don't know. But then I notice he is talking. To himself I guess? But he's one of those people that talks with his hands. And he's talking a lot. And it's going on and on. I'm starting to wonder if he is having a conversation with one of his 32 different personalities or what. Then it hit me. He's on the fvcking phone. I edge over a little closer and yup, he is doing business on the phone in his helmet. But wait, it gets better! I catch a wave and go by him and as I paddle back by him, he has little solar panels on the helmet. I swear I am not making this up. And he's still doing business. as I paddle by.

But wait, it gets better! I'm a wave hog with a glider. I mean that's kind of the whole reason for glider. (kidding. Or not) But I digress. I paddle by phone/helmet man and here comes another wave. So, I spin around and take off. And here comes phone/helmet man. Paddling in on the shoulder. It's maybe a 1.5 feet of roaring mush. I cut back for him just because I want to see what is going to happen here. He's paddling, and talking. And then he gets to his feet and does the white boy shuffle towards the nose on his resin tinted slob job longboard. By now this wave is probably hitting a solid 1 foot and I'm up on his rail. Probably with a really stupid look on my face. He loses the wave, I go past him and kick out and then start paddling back out for another. He's still talking. Then he says into his helmet/phone, "Hang on a minute." Then he turns toward me and says "Sorry about that." I look at him and grinned. I'm at a loss for words. "Sure man. No problem. Any time."

WTF? Is this evolution reaching a new pinnacle or is this the de-evolutionary death throes of the Sport of Kings? For review, I'm riding an 11' board on a 1' wave and I got cut off by a guy wearing a phone helmet who is having a phone conversation while surfing who then put someone else on hold to apologize for cutting me off.

Is this a first? I mean, I'm claiming it at this point. This is new. Put that flat screen on the nose and have that Zoom meeting. It's a brave new world. I may have to get OT to help me quit surfing now and ask him how. Mommy. Golf has never looked so good.

Last edited:

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
I used to dawn patrol at a place where a doctor would be on call with a cell phone in a plastic bag in his wetsuit. He wouldn't answer it in the water but if it rang he had to go in. That's next level though, jesus.

moby

Nep status
Nov 10, 2010
I feel like my place in surf history has been cemented with this. Sure, I wasn't a North Shore Pioneer, I wasn't the first guy to ride the barrel at The Bay, I wasn't the first guy to ride Mavericks or get towed in at Jaws, I wasn't even Daily Dale. But mother fvckers, I'm the first guy to get cut off by someone talking on their phone. The first victim of Distracted Surfing. That's it. The pinnacle has been reached. Nothing else can compare. I think I'm done. Somebody pour the cement into that walk of fame so I can plant my size 12s in there and write something obscene for posterity. Mic drop.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Saw on instagram at an east coast spot where the wife had a two way radio and was telling husband when sets were approaching :foreheadslap:Hey moby did the guy pull up in a tesla too?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Remote working is the new normal. Do you even multitask?

Smart people don’t have to come in physical contact with what pays their bills. Who wants to work around a bunch of foam dust? Dummies, that’s who.

You don’t need OT for that. Come see me. I’ve forgotten more about quitting surfing than he’ll ever know.

Reactions: SlicedFeet

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Gotta look on the bright side: every wave he misses because he was too busy talking on his goddam phone is one more for you!

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
On the other hand, it would be awesome if the call was like that one Alec Baldwin closing rant and people in the lineup thought he was yelling at them.

Call phone sex and put it on speaker.

The potential for shenanigans is high.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
WTF? Is this evolution reaching a new pinnacle or is this the de-evolutionary death throes of the Sport of Kings? For review, I'm riding an 11' board on a 1' wave and I got cut off by a guy wearing a phone helmet who is having a phone conversation while surfing who then put someone else on hold to apologize for cutting me off.

Is this a first? I mean, I'm claiming it at this point. This is new. Put that flat screen on the nose and have that Zoom meeting. It's a brave new world. I may have to get OT to help me quit surfing now and ask him how. Mommy. Golf has never looked so good.
I try to not use the word too often, but, amazing.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Befuddled. Isn’t a benefit being Disconnected? I’ve definitely surfed, got out to do meeting still in suit and then paddled back out. never, ever would want that to follow me in the ocean.

when the iPhone came out water resistance/proof, a tweener had one stuffed down the front of his suit. Would check it inbetween waves, take selfies and maybe text. I don’t really know, was hideous and disgusted.