Tired of faulty rubbers... (The OFFICIAL why new wetsuits generally blow THREAD)

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I ordered an XL and found that their size chart wasn't very good and they don't answer questions about sizing. I sent it back before using it.
Found this to be opposite. Emailed about size before I ordered, they answered right away and fit was consistent with other suits.

Good quality suits, they're light, dry quickly, but not as flexible as some.

Reactions: PRCD

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Shade is ok, but if you do that here, you're assured a steady fungal growth in your suits innards. No bueno... Trust me. I kknowow first hand.

Here, the routine differs, you HAVE TO dry it in the sun, direct is best. But you also have to pull it off the dry rack asap when it's well dry.

Wait too long and it's stiff as a poker chip.
Take it off too soon and any hint of moisture means fungus is among us.

I use a anti fungal soap, "ketoconazol" it's prescription from the dermatologist, once a week just in case.

The real reason my wetsuits don't last are twofold...

1-) i expect them to last way too long.

2-) i use them way too much.

Been trunking it all summer, my tender nipples are proof. Tried a rash guard in May, but that made me break out in fungus too.
Check it...

IMG-20210903-WA0009.jpeg

....had me wanting to rip my skin off, thinking how Eunice and some sharp steak knives would have come in handy.

Personally, so far, Vissla has lasted the longest. The ones with the deep blue inside and creamy buttery rubber outside.

Good thing a 2 mill is all we need down here.

Guess I'll start Wim Hoffing for dawn patrols, trunk it, breath heavily and keep the sessions to an hour.

:waving:

Fugg rubbers! Barebacking is where it's at.

That said, wetsuit companies have gone the way of the preinstalled computer virus'... Programmed obsolescence.

It's a thing.

Last edited:

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I use a Rubbermaid bin, soak n rinse w fresh water after every session n hang dry in the shade. In a 4/3 n booties year round. Most done after a year, some sooner, later. Some still look perfect, but functionally shot n they go on the used rack at the local surf shop.

I’m 50, lifelong surfer, in the water 3-5 times a week typically.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I use a Rubbermaid bin, soak n rinse w fresh water after every session n hang dry in the shade. In a 4/3 n booties year round. Most done after a year, some sooner, later. Some still look perfect, but functionally shot.
same basically. except i'm in a 5/4. i've gotten into the habit of having at least two suits to alternate between just so I always have one that's at least semi dry. they probably last a little longer this way too. admittedly when the suits start to degrade and leak I don't treat them as well and at that point I am not above drying them in the sun if I know I'm in for another session later that day and don't have a dry suit with me. maybe i need to try some fancy wetsuit shampoo to see if that helps prolong their life.

i've tried just about every brand and none of them last. they all start to leak and the ones that hold out and keep you warm the longest seem to be the ones that obviously fit well, are thicker feeling to start with and have a good fuzzy liner. the thinner feeling unlined suits lose most of their insulation properties once they start leaking.

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
Different experience here. New wetsuits are so much more comfortable, flexible, and have less shltty seams in weird spots. Less tearing in the knees. No holes at the base of the leaky back zipper. Can actually fully move in every direction without them bunching or pinching. Actually fully fit to body top to bottom. I've never had a nicer suit than my oniell hyperflex. It feels like a different world from even ten years ago. I think you're all crazy. I never got more than a year out of a suit anyways, but whether they cost $400 or $100, what is that, 1 going up to 4 dollars per surf, if you surf not even every three days a week? New wetsuits are way better.
This. I came here to say this.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I make a "trapeze" hanger with a piece of string and length of old PVC, throw the suit over that so it hangs from the waist. This works well and takes stress of the suit, but the inside will never dry unless you flip it.
+1
Drill holes in pvc or make spacer with another piece of pvc so water runs off.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
.....spend 40 bucks and get a bamboo dry rack (folds down)
$40 for a bamboo rack?

1 Go to neighbor's, chop down rampant bamboo pole.

2 Bring home, strip off leaves, trim ends to the right size and make bong out cast off parts and sell on Etsy for $50

3 Put two long nails in fence about 2 feet apart but leave out enough nail to suspend bamboo when you lay it on top of the nails

4 surf, come home, wash/soak/rinse wetsuit, put over bamboo rod, balance rod on nails sticking out of fence, eat some waffles, have a beer, lay in hammock, nap till dinner.

PS
try to dry wetsuits inside out for maximum benefits

Reactions: rowjimmytour

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
This works well and takes stress of the suit, but the inside will never dry unless you flip it.
I thought about this before writing it out, but it didn't seem necessary to state that you dry the wetsuit inside out so "the inside will never dry" really means the outside will never dry.

Also, Mr Doof I enjoyed your post as always, particularly the image of you eating waffles surrounded by your neighbor-grown, home made accoutrements.

I need a neighborhood bamboo grove.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1) Would bet that within 2 miles from the new home, someone is wishing the bamboo thicket would get attacked by pandas, or fire. You just gotta keep the eyes open.

2) Once helped out a co-worker's mother-in-law in Woodside thin their bamboo thicket with my chainsaw. probably not the optimal tool for the job, but man, it was great to duck-walk that saw for 50 feet a few inches above the ground and take out a length of umpteen 4 inch thick bamboo, and then walk back for another sweep.

Sure, it looked like a team of crack addled beavers had run amok and left chewed up jaggery edge punji stakes poking out of the ground, but you couldn't see that from the "people" side of the yard.

She was mightily pleased at the thinning, a little less so with the pile of 10-20 foot bamboo poles left behind until I told her she must know some artists who could use them for some sort of imaginative project. As soon as I said this, her eyes lit up and that was that, I was a genius.

It wasn't until I got home that I realized the can of Coke, the pita bread with hummus, and verbal thanks was the extent of my cost recovery, but at least I didn't have to fuss too much with the spider filled bamboo once I sawed it down and roughly stacked it.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
1) Would bet that within 2 miles from the new home, someone is wishing the bamboo thicket would get attacked by pandas, or fire. You just gotta keep the eyes open.

2) Once helped out a co-worker's mother-in-law in Woodside thin their bamboo thicket with my chainsaw. probably not the optimal tool for the job, but man, it was great to duck-walk that saw for 50 feet a few inches above the ground and take out a length of umpteen 4 inch thick bamboo, and then walk back for another sweep.

Sure, it looked like a team of crack addled beavers had run amok and left chewed up jaggery edge punji stakes poking out of the ground, but you couldn't see that from the "people" side of the yard.

She was mightily pleased at the thinning, a little less so with the pile of 10-20 foot bamboo poles left behind until I told her she must know some artists who could use them for some sort of imaginative project. As soon as I said this, her eyes lit up and that was that, I was a genius.

It wasn't until I got home that I realized the can of Coke, the pita bread with hummus, and verbal thanks was the extent of my cost recovery, but at least I didn't have to fuss too much with the spider filled bamboo once I sawed it down and roughly stacked it.
Cutting it down is the easy part. It comes back. Forever. Stripping what’s cut is messy, think fiberglass itch. There’s wildlife in what we have. Big iguanas. Snakes too. Spiders. “We” cut and cleaned 300 linear meters for fence material. I’d rather dig ditches.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
That's what the doc said, gave me a script for lotions, etc.

Ate some aloe vera, and like I said, started surfing in trunks. Done.

Thinking of just getting some vests and saying fook it. Not like I stay out for hours anymore anyways between my spinal pains and caring for my moms.

Vissla seems to have made it to one of the island surf shops, prolly just hit them up when it gets colder.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
$40 for a bamboo rack?

1 Go to neighbor's, chop down rampant bamboo pole.

2 Bring home, strip off leaves, trim ends to the right size and make bong out cast off parts and sell on Etsy for $50

3 Put two long nails in fence about 2 feet apart but leave out enough nail to suspend bamboo when you lay it on top of the nails

4 surf, come home, wash/soak/rinse wetsuit, put over bamboo rod, balance rod on nails sticking out of fence, eat some waffles, have a beer, lay in hammock, nap till dinner.

PS
try to dry wetsuits inside out for maximum benefits
The idea is to have something that folds up for easy travel transport.

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
I've had very good luck with Needs, especially the newer models. They are a little stiffer than a lot of newer suits on the market but feel much more durable. I've had one of the high end 4/3s for a while with the external liquid tape and used it all last season and it's still as warm as it was then, just surfed a day on the central coast visiting my parents and was fine. I had a couple of their early suits as well (3/2 and short arm full). Those were fine for what they were but were definitely not particularly durable.

Reactions: CutnSnip