Tips on rehabbing a meniscus tear?

Apr 6, 2015
Recently, in an effort to loosen up my hip flexors, I began doing deep knee bends (no weight squats), which was very effective in improving my hip flexibility. Definitely noticed I was less stiff when popping up. But I also succeeded in aggravating my left knee, which had a full ACL reconstruction over 30 years ago.

Then, during that good run of swell we had in January, I ended up compressing more than usual on some good sized waves, and tore my meniscus. At least I think that's what occurred - my knee swelled up, and my range of motion drastically decreased (couldn't bend it much at all). And I felt it happen at the time, a hyper-flexion with a kind of "pop" inside.

The swelling has gone down considerably, and I'm able now to ride a stationary bike, which is improving the range of motion again. I don't think I need surgery, and doubt it would it be effective at this point anyway (I'm 57). My plan is just to keep up with the biking and also knee raises and quad flexes when I'm sitting. But it's taking too long! Curious to get tips from any of you who may have gone through something similar...

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

The easy answer for most injuries is do what you can tolerate. Tolerate doesn't mean pain free. Continue increasing activity until things are back to normal. There's no reason to get involved in specialized movements or exercises. Walk before you can run...or surf.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I tore my meniscus around 4 years ago trying to do one of these in a hot yoga class
Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 2.55.00 PM.png

I started to bend my standing knee and the folded knee popped loud enough that the entire room looked over.
I finished the class but it started to get sore and mildly swell.
I could walk, but if I tried to turn with my foot planted at all it was excrutiating.

I took a few months off, iced, rested, then slowly worked up to activity. It's fine now.

• Wow
Reactions: One-Off
May 14, 2011
I've torn my meniscus about a year ago skating, couldn't walk for 2 days or so, and got better enough 3-4 weeks after to ignore it. Tweaked it a few more times surfing since, and a bad one in December trying to make it out back in waist deep water with head high juicy waves.

Long story short - tried to rehab it with little luck. 10 doctor visits later, MRI, X rays, & multiple opinions, I'm going in Wednesday for a menisectomy where they'll clean everything out then inject stem cells from my hip.

I've been surfing, but stopped skating completely and always find myself nursing my surf sessions. Doc says the surgery won't make things perfect but should get me to 90% of full motion range + no pain. 6 weeks till I'm back in the water.

Funny thing is it's the smallest days on the glider that are most painful to surf - getting in that super tucked position is the killer. Anything a bit bigger and on a shortboard is no problem except certain backside turns.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
:oops:

I like the look of those. What I was seeing was explosive movement with the back extended. Kind of like a pop up. I might start work on those. Got to find me a dumpster nearby :D.
I realized I haven't been doing them simply because they're hard. The studies seem to show that training the hamstrings with knee flexion(nordic curls, hamstring curls) is better than training them with hip extension (SLDLs).

Pitfalls/progressions:
ways to do them at home:

Reactions: One-Off

Pig Benis

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 16, 2002
Get an MRI. Some tears in the knee will heal. Some won't. It depends upon location. If the tear is on the outer part of the meniscus, there is a possibility that it will heal. If the tear is on the inner part of the meniscus where there is limited blood supply it's probably not ever going to heal. Which means you need surgery. The good news is that a meniscus tear repair via surgery will have you back in action fast. I limped around with a tear for six months. Finally buckled and had the surgery. I was walking that day. Surfing in six days. It still hurt a bit, but that vanished entirely inside of a few weeks.

Apr 6, 2015
Get an MRI. Some tears in the knee will heal. Some won't. It depends upon location. If the tear is on the outer part of the meniscus, there is a possibility that it will heal. If the tear is on the inner part of the meniscus where there is limited blood supply it's probably not ever going to heal. Which means you need surgery. The good news is that a meniscus tear repair via surgery will have you back in action fast. I limped around with a tear for six months. Finally buckled and had the surgery. I was walking that day. Surfing in six days. It still hurt a bit, but that vanished entirely inside of a few weeks.
Wow. That's quite a result.

From the (super, very) scientific research I've done so far through Dr. Google, I've concluded that I've had "loose bodies" floating around in my knee for a long time now. I've been doing versions of this injury for years, most recently summer before last when I compressed more than expected after hitting some chop coming off a cut back. I end up babying it for a while, and then it seems okay again. BUT, my range of motion steadily has decreased each time, which has hampered me on drops, and when the occasional hyper-flexion occurs.

I'm literally in the midst of switching insurance plans, so will have to wait a bit before I can see a doc/PT. But if rehab doesn't really get it to a good level of function, I think getting it scoped would probably be the right move for the long term.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
this guy may be onto something
What a novel idea, that One Leg DLs are a key component to athletic performance.
From 2013 lol

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I need to see the author's references in that Dragon Door article. I'm seeing several unquantified claims:
Athleticism? Yes athleticism. Think about what stance most sports assume; either single leg or split stance—that is, one hip in flexion and one in extension. Own this position under load and you will become instantly more athletic. Run faster, jump higher, hit harder.
Shank should at least be able to say how much he improved his vertical leap and 40 yard dash using the single leg DL and only the single leg DL.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I need to see the author's references in that Dragon Door article. I'm seeing several unquantified claims:

Shank should at least be able to say how much he improved his vertical leap and 40 yard dash using the single leg DL and only the single leg DL.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
That's not a response to my questions nor to his claims. Proof that he can do a high box jump is not proof that he has a great vertical leap nor fast 40, nor that the exercises he prescribed improved his numbers in the same.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Knee injuries like that can take several weeks especially if there is joint fluid or blood in the joint capsule. Many different injuries could have happened and the MRI suggestion would be in play if a few weeks of rest and gentle therapy didn't show improvement. There are clinical tests an experienced knee doc could do to get an idea of what sorts of pathology occured in the knee, for example, anterior drawer sign and pivot shift test. Sounds like you're better and some stability tests might be in order, too. Good luck!

Recently, in an effort to loosen up my hip flexors, I began doing deep knee bends (no weight squats), which was very effective in improving my hip flexibility. Definitely noticed I was less stiff when popping up. But I also succeeded in aggravating my left knee, which had a full ACL reconstruction over 30 years ago.

Then, during that good run of swell we had in January, I ended up compressing more than usual on some good sized waves, and tore my meniscus. At least I think that's what occurred - my knee swelled up, and my range of motion drastically decreased (couldn't bend it much at all). And I felt it happen at the time, a hyper-flexion with a kind of "pop" inside.

The swelling has gone down considerably, and I'm able now to ride a stationary bike, which is improving the range of motion again. I don't think I need surgery, and doubt it would it be effective at this point anyway (I'm 57). My plan is just to keep up with the biking and also knee raises and quad flexes when I'm sitting. But it's taking too long! Curious to get tips from any of you who may have gone through something similar...

Apr 6, 2015
Knee injuries like that can take several weeks especially if there is joint fluid or blood in the joint capsule. Many different injuries could have happened and the MRI suggestion would be in play if a few weeks of rest and gentle therapy didn't show improvement. There are clinical tests an experienced knee doc could do to get an idea of what sorts of pathology occured in the knee, for example, anterior drawer sign and pivot shift test. Sounds like you're better and some stability tests might be in order, too. Good luck!
Hi, Doc,

Firstly, thanks for responding. I'm sure you have better things to do than respond to posts from dumb*sses like me... Much appreciated. I do have a follow up question, if you have time:

My knee has improved over the last couple of weeks - hurts less and I can ride the stationary bike for 20 minutes without too much difficulty now. But it remains swollen, and I still have what feels like a "hard stop" on my range of motion when I bend it.

I surfed a few days ago (I know, I know, dumb...) But I rode a 6'8" mid-length with a lot of volume instead of my usual shortboard, with the intention to "cruise" more, and also wore a neoprene brace. Everything went fine until my last wave, when I pumped hard off the bottom, and flexed my knee as I came up the face. Then it hurt again, and was more swollen when I got out of the water.

That exact thing happened a couple of years ago (not as bad), and has been frequent over the last few months - the knee hurts and swells up when I flex the past the point it wants to go (which is now pretty limited). Lateral movement isn't the issue so much, it's flexion (and quick extension).

Is it possible that joint fluid or blood in the joint capsule could be causing my limited range of motion? I just assumed loose pieces of torn cartilage or scar tissue were the only things that would cause that, which is why I've been thinking I may need arthroscopic surgery to clean it out. But I'd much prefer to fix the range of motion problem with PT, which seems possible if swelling/fluid could be the culprit.

Thanks again.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
That's not a response to my questions nor to his claims. Proof that he can do a high box jump is not proof that he has a great vertical leap nor fast 40, nor that the exercises he prescribed improved his numbers in the same.
He's a fanboi and a consumer. He only knows things that are NEW! EXCITING! and GROUNDBREAKING!

Next week it will be something different from another social media influencer using anabolic steroids and fake weights.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I have a partial tear I've been living with for years. Stop doing things that aggravate it, it goes away last flare up was pretty significant and I had to lay off fof normal activity (surfing and skating) for 2 months. PT brought me back but its not where I'd like it to be.

My buddy had his meniscus cleaned up a few months ago and it helped but I think he came back too soon and it's not great. I feel like I'm heading that direction fairly soon.

Best thing that helped was vonmeister's recommendation of lots of stretching. Your results may vary