Tips for going down to a smaller board

Apr 5, 2006
So I started on a 6ft prone board. Foiled for about 6 months and got comfortable. Could cut back, and even pump back out. Today I took out a new 4'8 and got my butt whopped. Literally like day 1 all over again. The board would just blast off, could not keep it in the water. Could not get to my feet before it would launch.

Any tips on making this transition? Ive been on tuttle but also have tracks installed in this board so I'm considering getting the adapter to be able to move the foil back.

For reference I was on a 63 liter 6'0 and now on a 55 liter 4'8 (im a big guy at 275)

Excited for all the lift but need to figure out how to control it, and successfully catch waves without the board lifting and either pushing me out the back or launching me to kingdom come.

Thanks for any advice!

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Move the foil back in the tracks a half inch. You're used to standing on a certain spot because the board is helping keep the foil down. Now you don't have that foot and a half of nose swing weight to help you, so you have to either stand further forward or push the foil back. Works out to about the same difference. Pretend it's a body board. Just get way up on the nose when paddling.

You could keep using the tuttle. Just make sure to position your stance further forward on the board. Back foot on top of the mast, or maybe in front of the mast until you get the hang of the new board.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
As Hdip said the board in front of your front foot helps to keep it down/control it.

You really have to use a plate adapter for a board that’s significantly shorter.....just to ease into the different feelz. I would start all the back, with an Allen key in your pocket, and try during the first sesh to find the the furthest forward position that you can control.

I went from a 4’4” to a very light 3’11” and it schooled me relentlessly for about 2 weeks. I found that with less real estate under me I had to kind of fly it while I got to my feet, like a yoga move instead of the usual jump to my feet thing I do when surfing. Totally used to it now.

It’ll pay off, shorter boards are much better in the long run.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
do you prone guys put markers on the deck to mark where you put your feet?....im going to transition to prone today for the first time but i have foam dots on my deck to mark k foot positions

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Marking is useful especially with you being a Sup guy, you’ll have to make an effort to get further back for a while I’m guessing.

I move both feet around on the fly now so I don’t really need it, but was useful coming down from a much bigger first board.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Never purposefully put marks in my deck. Usually I’d stand to far back so I’d have to keep my front hand in the deck to keep the nose down while I scooted forward. Standing to far forward isn’t really much of an issue on small boards. Look at the guys doing cheater fives as evidence. .

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
after spending a week in Hawaii learning to prone foil I've come to the conclusion that prone foil is WAY easier pump than a SUP..
but having a paddle is great for correcting mistakes and getting back up airborne again...