Tip to tip V bottom?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Was browsing in the local surf shop in town the other day and came across a beautiful 6'4" single fin - pintail hanging on the wall. Checking it out - noticed it had a V bottom from nose to tail. The board itself is beautiful - looks to be built for a specific purpose - getting barreled. I was tempted to pick it up if not for the bottom contour. If nothing else - would make a great wall hanger in the house. The only board i can think of with a comparable bottom would be the Lost Monkfish. Wondering how it rides ... thinking probably similar to a hull or belly bottom? Any thoughts .... pros/cons?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I restored a Greg Noll v-bottom transition board years back. I finished it and I had it in the truck and I drove by the point and it was probably the best 6' point surf I had seen out there in years. I had a wetsuit so I paddled it out with no leash. Worst surfboard I have ever ridden in my life. It was hideous. lol. Which is the reason those boards literally were only around a few months. Give me a D fin log any day. Fortunately the V-bottom phase was literally over in a few months.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
This picture gives you an idea of how much V was in the Natural Art I referenced above. This board was from the same era and by the same shaper Todd Holland was using at the time. Don't know if his boards were like this or not. This board was the best one board quiver type board I ever had. This board worked great in anything from stomach high to well overhead. Ruler is measuring half an inch in front of the fins so there is a 1/4 of an inch on each side of the stringer. V the entire length of the board and it gets more exaggerated as the water exits the tail.

Last edited:

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Best board I've ever owned was V from nose to tail. Ton of V actually. Still have it but its been ridden to death. Its a Natural Art from the early 90s.
I've never ridden one .... have read that they tend to sit lower in the water and have a completely different feel than a concave bottom .... would you agree?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Are you sure ???
The v-bottom transition boards with the big wide tails? Massive V going out the tail?

Yup.

Months. Many of them were made out of shaped longboards that were waiting to be glassed. Chop the tail, add V, send it to glassing. I had a McTavish tracker when it was a new thing. Along with Bob Coopers blue machine. They were gone in a hurry. Good riddance.

If you're talking about what became more conventional/subtle V bottoms,sure that went on and in is still done.

Those '68- '69 transition heavy V wide tail with those huge plastic/lexan fins?

Those vanished quick.

Last edited:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
The v-bottom transition boards with the big wide tails.

Yup.

Months. Many of them were made out of shaped longboards that were waiting to be glassed. Chop the tail, add V, send it to glassing. I had a McTavish tracker when it was a new thing. Along with Bob Coopers blue machine. They were gone in a hurry.
Didn't Mctavish have an epic fail with the design at Sunset?