Time (to surf) vs. Money

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I wish i could, wife, dog and mortgage make it propbaby impossible.
Wife, 3 dogs, 2 kids + spouses, 3 grandchildren. Retired at 40 24 years ago. Took the job that paid twice as much between 28 and 40. My goal was to surf consistently good warm water uncrowded waves. If a dummy like me, barely a high school graduate, can do it I guess anyone that wanted to do it could.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Ok boomer.....

(sorry man. Totally respect you but that was just too good a setup :shaka:)
It requires some time out of what is considered to be the typical comfort zone for 99.99% of America’s finest but there it is. I decided how I want to live 50 years ago at 14 years old, worked in that direction, and I’ve pretty much been able to do it. If surfing is in your top two priorities in life (family/surfing) you can figure out how to do it. Nothing worth having is gonna require some effort.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I know it's all a personal decision about finding a lifestyle that makes you happy - but I'm curious about how you guys have your priorities set and decisions you've made to accommodate

I'm trying to decide between a role with much higher compensation (~2x) and higher prestige, but corpo life that will stress me out and cause me to surf less VS. a lower paying corpo job type with less growth opportunity and less compensation... both positions pay enough for me live comfortably, but the higher paying one will allow me to save a lot faster. both are basically shitty cube tech work.

I keep telling myself I need to step-up and find ways to manage time/stress better so i can work the higher paying job and still surf... but i haven't been very successful in these efforts so far.
So you aren't really clear on what the time balance will be between the 2 jobs. Is it just the stress itself that will cause you to surf less, or actually having to work more? If the actual time commitment is similar or not much more, then 2x salary could certainly be worth it. Especially if you save, invest, and set yourself for an earlier retirement.

Also, a job with more prestige could set you up for an even cushier gig in the future where you can negotiate better lifestyle terms. Or consult and set your own hours, which a prestigious gig can definitely set you up for.

If you are talking 15-20+ hours a week, then probably not worth it. Especially for a cube job.

Reactions: Havoc

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
Time to surf, unless the money is just too good, i mean an additional $30k/year won't cut it. $50-60K more, maybe I'll consider

Made the decision to put time (not just for surfing, but for family, rest, relaxation, mind) ahead of pursuing the almighty $ a long time ago, and I have never regretted it

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I have no kids, no family, not even a girlfriend. I choose surfing, because money just seems to land me in debt. *shrug*

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I took my liberties on the younger side.

Working to pay the bills only. Surfing as much as I could in between.

My best years.

Worked in the private sector up till 2005. Always had work, it just bounced around a lot with mergers/aquisitions.

Decided in 2005 to try something less profitable but with a whole lot of more job security.

15 years later. I am the last remaining survivor around the camp fire. The food has ran out.
There is no relief on the horizon. The monkeys are hungry.

• Wow
Reactions: the janitor

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I know it's all a personal decision about finding a lifestyle that makes you happy - but I'm curious about how you guys have your priorities set and decisions you've made to accommodate

I'm trying to decide between a role with much higher compensation (~2x) and higher prestige, but corpo life that will stress me out and cause me to surf less VS. a lower paying corpo job type with less growth opportunity and less compensation... both positions pay enough for me live comfortably, but the higher paying one will allow me to save a lot faster. both are basically shitty cube tech work.

I keep telling myself I need to step-up and find ways to manage time/stress better so i can work the higher paying job and still surf... but i haven't been very successful in these efforts so far.

The less growth opportunity bit is troublesome. Without knowing you or the details I'd say take the higher comp one and set yourself up for your next adventure.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
When I was young and surfed my brains out but had zero money, I seriously wanted money.

Now I have money and a million responsibilities, and sometimes just want to drop everything and go surfing.

Reactions: Havoc and Leaverite

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I get four weeks of paid vacation a year.

Been doing Big Sur trips with my bros since 1992.

The reservation process. To get an actual campsite.

I get a confirmed reservation in April. Put in a vacation request at that time. It bounces around on a bunch of desks, 6 months in the future. It gets approved. Then, as the time draws near, the whining starts.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I can retire right now, this day and my investments/retirement from CalPERS and Social security would actually give me more income than continuing to work.