Time (to surf) vs. Money

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
I know it's all a personal decision about finding a lifestyle that makes you happy - but I'm curious about how you guys have your priorities set and decisions you've made to accommodate

I'm trying to decide between a role with much higher compensation (~2x) and higher prestige, but corpo life that will stress me out and cause me to surf less VS. a lower paying corpo job type with less growth opportunity and less compensation... both positions pay enough for me live comfortably, but the higher paying one will allow me to save a lot faster. both are basically shitty cube tech work.

I keep telling myself I need to step-up and find ways to manage time/stress better so i can work the higher paying job and still surf... but i haven't been very successful in these efforts so far.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
i work 6.5 months a year. good gig if u can get it.

but imho go for prestige. once u have kids wife money will be biggest challenge. ur best bet is to marry rich

Reactions: JDJ
Dec 2, 2019
i work 6.5 months a year. good gig if u can get it.

but imho go for prestige. once u have kids wife money will be biggest challenge. ur best bet is to marry rich
What does prestige have to do with money being a challenge? There are non prestigious jobs that make more than prestigious jobs.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
If you live near me, quit surfing and take up corporate life.

Otherwise, well, strive for the boring world of balance and complain about being bored or strive for surfing and complain about not having money to live where you want or strive for money and complain about how it hasn't brought you happiness.

Reactions: nowayout

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I know it's all a personal decision about finding a lifestyle that makes you happy - but I'm curious about how you guys have your priorities set and decisions you've made to accommodate

I'm trying to decide between a role with much higher compensation (~2x) and higher prestige, but corpo life that will stress me out and cause me to surf less VS. a lower paying corpo job type with less growth opportunity and less compensation... both positions pay enough for me live comfortably, but the higher paying one will allow me to save a lot faster. both are basically shitty cube tech work.

I keep telling myself I need to step-up and find ways to manage time/stress better so i can work the higher paying job and still surf... but i haven't been very successful in these efforts so far.
I have basically the same job I had 14 years ago, but at a tiny shop. Otherwise, I'm option 2. I sure as hell am not working on genetic algorithms or machine learning, and I don't think my salary would cut it comfortably in San Francisco if I wanted to live in my own studio/1BR.

Yeah the spot 300 yards away sucks but I'm often alone which is a joy when it is working to any extent. Work is 2/3 mile from home. Monthly rent is 10% of monthly take-home. Salary has gone up quite a bit in 8 years; rent has stayed the same.

But double is a shitload more money.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
5 years ago at 49 yo decided I didnt want the cubicle life or the money. So I took a chance and dont regret it. I work 7 months a year and its more fun, kiting, windsurfing, surfing, MTB, etc with clients from all over the world. Surf right hand points by myself mostly and its all good.

There is no money in it but I have to where I travel Nov. - March.

good luck

Reactions: mundus and JDJ

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
i've had both.

surf > money IMO but you have to be able to accomplish your financial goals and provide for your family.

tough balance to achieve.

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
It's really a function of age. Also, the money can always come, but laying a solid foundation is the key. For example, if you were a doctor, lawyer, etc in your 20-30s, then you'd want to focus on developing your professional credentials.

When I was a young finance guy in LA, I always had my board with me. I had enough flexibility within a 1-2 hour window either early or late to catch most good days. On the extremely rare occasion that Calif was experiencing one of the 5 A+++ days it get each year, then I would exercise my sick days (if mid week) and jam up to Rincon or Malibu depending on the season.

I once ran into a guy @ the Con who I had previously known @ SB who had gone onto med school. We laughed about the small pool of guys who stuck with it, and were then able to still surf while making some $.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I would take the lower one and find a way. As long as you can save for retirement and rainy days I see no reason to stress yourself out for extra money.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
5 years ago at 49 yo decided I didnt want the cubicle life or the money. So I took a chance and dont regret it. I work 7 months a year and its more fun, kiting, windsurfing, surfing, MTB, etc with clients from all over the world. Surf right hand points by myself mostly and its all good.

There is no money in it but I have to where I travel Nov. - March.

good luck
You hiring?

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
You hiring?
yes, you will start sweeping, cleaning and taking bigger bites of the sh!t sandwich. Pay will start at zero, but you can do all the sports, eat for free, drink for free and live in a tent for 7 months. Its beachfront so cant beat it. You will make tips.

ready?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
yes, you will start sweeping, cleaning and taking bigger bites of the sh!t sandwich. Pay will start at zero, but you can do all the sports, eat for free, drink for free and live in a tent for 7 months. Its beachfront so cant beat it. You will make tips.

ready?
I wish i could, wife, dog and mortgage make it propbaby impossible.