Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I liked my GX and GX round tail more.

I had a 6’1 blindspot and a 6’3 stap of it. The staap was better than the 6’1 but the GX had more range for the slow fast reef growers.
I liked my GX and GX round tail more.

I had a 6’1 blindspot and a 6’3 stap of it. The staap was better than the 6’1 but the GX had more range for the slow fast reef growers.
I’m in between wanting another crow or doing something in between that and the gx I had. Gx is so spicy but I want it to handle a bigger and proper wave better.

Reactions: JDJ

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Mine felt like it wanted a pretty good wave to come alive and didnt have quite the forgiveness and versatility of the gx or flare. If i was to order one again i'd go longer and ride it only when the waves are decent. I think i went 6-2 which is an inch under my height.

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I recall mine was a little too chippy for when it came alive at 6’1x19.25x2.28. my 5’10 GX had me covered until I jumped up to my 6’3.

I had the 6’1 and 6’3 out in the water at the same time and the 6’3 did everything better for NCSD.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Whoa those are about the dims I was thinking of. Weird though since you’re typically a touch lower in volume than me. I would love to take you up on that.
seems like the blondspot should sit right between the gx and the scarecrow right?

gx for shitty beachbreak
This is my take. Blindspot has less rocker and is less tuned up than the Scarecrow. It’s the Scarecrow for non-pros. The board goes. But I’ve been surfing more fishy style boards and then going with a longer rail than 6’1 when we have waves.

If I’m grabbing the Blindspot, I’m thinking good lowers, decent to good Oceanside, HB and Newport, small to medium Blacks, travel board. I wouldn’t ride it in typical South OC/NCSD mush.

But YMMV. A lot is preference.

@silentbutdeadly: dims are bigger than I would ride for a non-stap. I wanted a shortboard that was more twitchy than a giggle box and over 6 feet. Tim told me to go 6’3 with a roundtail but I didn’t listen.

Last edited:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
It’s a good board to transition from a Flare or Gx. I also really like Tim’s rerun step up. Sublime has one, and I rode it yesterday at terrible mar. It’s a bit more full in the nose than the BS.
i went with a pair of thumbtails based off the rerun. a 6-2 20.25 rerun and a 6-6 20.25 runup. both thrusters

really stocked. transition btwn the two is seamless. easliy the best two boart quiver for decent ca i ve had maybe ever

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
What's the turn around time on customs from tim? Read good things about the flare but 20 1/2 inches wide at 5'10 sounds like an awful lot, do people run them narrower than stock?

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
What's the turn around time on customs from tim? Read good things about the flare but 20 1/2 inches wide at 5'10 sounds like an awful lot, do people run them narrower than stock?
Its tough to say cause I ordered the
stock 5’10 varial and when it came I was kinda bummed it was so wide. Then I surfed it and had a good surf. Chaulked it up to the waves being fun. After 4 or 5 more sessions realized the board is epic. I would have probably ordered it at 20 but it goes so good maybe it would lessen the flow at 20. Board has this crazy slingshot effect where any bowly section the board just turns into a rocket. That being said I do feel the width when I get all that speed then try to go for a fully commited roundhouse. I notice it’s safer to break the rail mid turn and drift the tail instead of keeping it engaged where the wide nose is prone to catching at some point. Interested to see what Tim says as I’m planning on ordering a few more for slighlty larger waves (head and OH). I have always hated width but the board always leaves me stoked.

tomminator123

OTF status
Dec 22, 2017
I’m gonna order a 3 pack of boards because I owe it to Tim based on how well the Flare works.

For sure getting a 6’1 HPSB and a 6’0 daily driver to complement the 5’10 Flare.

Question is whether a Banjo Fish or FX should fill the grovelor role. I am a backfooted thruster guy that wants to do turns even when groveling. Have had a number of boards similar to the FX (puddle jumper, bottom feeder). Never had a proper fish. This board would be for 1-3 ft full groveling at beach break. My inclination is for the FX but feel I’m missing out not going for one of his most popular shapes. Any thoughts?
I have a 5’6” banjo and a 5’6” fx. I don’t really like groveling the banjo, especially on my backhand, unless it has really good shape. The fx is a blast in small beach break, it was my go to board this past summer at ob

Last edited:
Reactions: twofeet and Aruka

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Saw a couple of mentions but not really a full review while searching but how do we like the warhawk
I have one and love it. Compared to the scarecrow, the extra foam up front seems to give it a little more ease of entry, it’s a little drivier, and a tad more range on the low end without any any sacrifice that I’ve noticed on the higher end. Will definitely be ordering another when the time comes to replace it