Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
As another tall lankster I can weigh in here too.

I've had:

6'0" x 20" x 2.4"
6'1" x 19.6" x 2.4"
6'1.5" x 19.5" x 2.4"
2.4 makes for some nice rails. I think I’d need to go a lot thicker with the hope of a refined foil. @Aruka do you remember what thickness/volume you used. How were the rails?

Reactions: JDJ

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
2.4 makes for some nice rails. I think I’d need to go a lot thicker with the hope of a refined foil. @Aruka do you remember what thickness/volume you used. How were the rails?
Tim should be able to graft any rail you like regardless of thickness.

my rails started on a 2.28” thick board which eventually grew up to 2.38” with the same rails.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I came here to say how even though I stray from it in favor of shiny new things, the Banjo still fuks, but then I caught up on this thread and want to order a flare. I barely ride my GX anymore and feel like a flare could be that happy medium between alt boar and short boar for me.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I came here to say how even though I stray from it in favor of shiny new things, the Banjo still fuks, but then I caught up on this thread and want to order a flare. I barely ride my GX anymore and feel like a flare could be that happy medium between alt boar and short boar for me.
I've still never ordered a Stamps, but lately I've been thinking how a Flare/Banjo combo would be an excellent 2-board quiver for our parts

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Been emailing Tim last few days. I'm looking for a step-upish I guess?? My DD is a 5'9 Banjo keel. Just always maxing my fishes. I think we are gonna do a Rerun/Flare mash. Rerun deck profile with Flare curves & contours 6'0x20.5x2.68 I'm 49 5'11 180...Not for CA beachies but for PR reefs. That's where he's kind of steered me and probably gonna go with it.
I would've added another .02" to the thickness were I you.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I've still never ordered a Stamps, but lately I've been thinking how a Flare/Banjo combo would be an excellent 2-board quiver for our parts
They are but there is considerable overlap.

I ordered both at the same time and often did not switch between the two for given conditions.

Reactions: JDJ

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
They are but there is considerable overlap.

I ordered both at the same time and often did not switch between the two for given conditions.
I could see that. There's a couple waves I surf regularly that are a little bowlier even when small that the banjo surfs fine but it would be fun to have something similar with a lil more hp. I used to surf my GX at both spots when it's like that but I've gotten older and less spicy, so a stubbier step down sounds fun.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Short one was 2.5 thick and 32L which at the time was on the higher end for me.

the 6-2 was 2 7/16 and 30L with pretty thin rails which felt right for my younger, lighter self.

nowadays I would probably split the dif, get a 6-1 @ 2 9/16 or 5/8 thick and around 33L which is where I'm at for most of my hpsb type boars.

Reactions: slipped_disc
Dec 15, 2019
I could see that. There's a couple waves I surf regularly that are a little bowlier even when small that the banjo surfs fine but it would be fun to have something similar with a lil more hp. I used to surf my GX at both spots when it's like that but I've gotten older and less spicy, so a stubbier step down sounds fun.

I'm trying for the same kinda combo with my recent order. Flare/Rerun . Already got a Banjo. When its any bigger than what I assume can handle on a Flare? . As of late been grabbing a really alt of board. Asym Townsend or in the past a Lost Round up. But I guess I should of added even more foam to my board order or just need to work out more?

Reactions: JDJ and MathDebater

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Anyone have a flare and a RNF96? Do we think one has a higher top end? Or more or less a tie?

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
Has anyone tried the banjo with AMKs? Ive been riding mine with the stamps keel in size medium and I love it in mushy surf, but have struggled with the more bowly sections. I imagine the AMKs would allow for tighter arcs...

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
I ended up trying out the AMKs in my banjo this morning. I loved it. More drivey, held through the last 10% of a turn better, and yet was still easier to throw up into the lip. I think the flex plays into that too. The NVS stamps fins are pretty stiff.

Ill give the BMTs a chance, but after today Im not feeling the need to change it up.

Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 11.15.03 AM.png