Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
my 5’9x20x2.32 feels perfect to me. the lack of rocker flip in the last 3 inches threw me off more than the widths.

i tried to tell tim i was afraid of >20” boards like this but he kind of rolled his eyes back and reassured me that I wouldnt mind the 20” and he was right.

I was originally pushing for 5’9x19.75 bc my DD GX is 5’10x19.5

3 yrs later, zero regrets and I’m rarely riding that GX.
That's reassuring.

Reactions: j_mac
Dec 1, 2021
Looking for a new step-down and debating FLARE, disco cheater, and rocket wide. anyone care to bite? all have similar stock dims with the exception of flare being a touch wider as referenced above. surfing sh!t oc beach breaks 90% of time

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
hmmmmm, I think you're going to have some overlap. I demo'd a rocket wide and it felt good but definitely like a jack of all trades, master of none. Felt sticky and held more like a normal shortboard for its wide dims.

flare would treat you right but I would recommend going custom with Tim knowing the step down and up boards.

I'm almost leaning towards the Disco cheater but I would like to see @Aruka 's input since he has one

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've got a fling and rnf96 in rotation for the low end... pyzalien 2 and radius for the good stuff. just lookin for a new step down thruster to switch it up. Def some overlap with P2 and RNF96
Flare and Disco cheater are both great step downs. Havent tried the Rocket Wide.

Between DC and Flare I think Flare is a little flatter and wider with more pronounced bottom contours. DC has a bit of rocker and a fairly narrow/thin tail for a small wave board and likes an active approach. Both are easy to surf all around boards with good range. Flare is a little easier to make speed in mush and the DC is a little more shreddy and good in the pocket. Cant go wrong with either IMO.

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
Ive had a few rocket wides and decided it was not a great groveler for me. It was pretty fun in bowly conditions, but I couldnt get it to work in softer waves. I briefly had a disco cheater and it felt like it had too much rocker in the tail for where I surf so I quickly sold it.

Ive never tried the flare but would love too. Id throw the CI NB2 in the mix though. Mine is a touch wider than stock and it grovels beach breaks very well.

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I've got a fling and rnf96 in rotation for the low end... pyzalien 2 and radius for the good stuff. just lookin for a new step down thruster to switch it up. Def some overlap with P2 and RNF96
You add a Flare to that lineup and you’ve got an instant quiver of erbb all-star shapes

Reactions: ChaseTMP

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
The Flare has a ton of range. I don't travel without one. I rode mine daily this winter at several South County beach breaks up to about head high. There were times I wish I had less nose on the drops but because I ride it so often it wasn't a big deal.

I've also found you can ride a Flare larger than you would think. I was always reluctant to order anything above my height but now surf a 6 foot Flare in stock dims from time to time when I'm feeling lazy or the crowd calls for it.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
The Flare has a ton of range. I don't travel without one. I rode mine daily this winter at several South County beach breaks up to about head high. There were times I wish I had less nose on the drops but because I ride it so often it wasn't a big deal.

I've also found you can ride a Flare larger than you would think. I was always reluctant to order anything above my height but now surf a 6 foot Flare in stock dims from time to time when I'm feeling lazy or the crowd calls for it.
hmmmm

flare or rerun in old man dimz 6’0

• Love
Reactions: MathDebater and JDJ