Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My FX was a round tail so I dont know if my opinion will be completely helpful in regards to that model but I'll share it anyway. I think that even as a squash tail the FX doesnt have quite the crazy tail width that the Fling does. I liked the FX but do regret somewhat not just getting the squash version. I think the overall rocker/outline struck a good balance between fishy grovel ability and HP shreds. The FX RT was actually one of my first forays into stubby groveler type boards and I did really like how easy it made speed in mush without becoming uncontrollable when the wave stood up. There was definitely plenty of performance to be had as far as hitting the lip and surfing tight in the pocket. I think just a little more area in the tail, whether it be a wider round tail, a diamond or a squash would have made it a great groveler. As it was it just didn't quite have the instant speed of something like the Puddle Jumper which for me is still probably the HP groveler by which others are measured.

I had similar issues as described by @ChaseTMP with the Fling when surfing backside and overall it felt like the type of board that really needed specific conditions that we just don't get here that often. I didn't hate it but it was a hot/cold board for me and I had too many sessions on it where I struggled for control on steeper sections.

As much as I like the PJ and some of the other HP groveler type boards I've had since like the JS Psycho Nitro (similar to FX RT but even lower rocker), CI Ultra Joe, Puddle Jumper HP, SMTH Speed Demon, etc. and as much as I like riding a HP thruster whenever the waves allow, I seem to end up preferring something dorky and low performance for small days anymore. A mini simmons keel isn't going to be any better than the Fling surfing steep beachies on my backhand but I know that going in and so I'm not disappointed when it doesn't go vert with ease.

The board that is going to have the rocker and reasonable tail width needed to fit nicely into a tight little pocket isn't going to have the glide I want for connecting mushy sections. It's a very tough balance. A good HP groveler is one of the most challenging designs to get right I would think.

Sorry, I got off track. I also had a Fuse but it was undervolumed and I never clicked with it. Preferred the Flare.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
ruker what r pj dimz?
5-8 x 21 x 2.56 34L

That's off the top of my head so I could be off a hair. It's a PJ Slim or custom dims, I think. I got it 2nd hand.

It takes HP shredding down to just about the smallest waves of any board I've ridden. I've had boards with better low end, like the Hydra or the Stamps WTF but they both surf a little more laterally whereas the PJ goes vert and never really feels like it has any issues going backside.

I do prefer it as a quad although it works as a 3 fin too.

nolibos

OTF status
Oct 24, 2019
Central California
Does anyone have any experience with Stamp's single fin boars, particularly the Polaris DT or the Stubby? I want something old school for the big burgery days. I'm tired of watching the Mid life crisis guys have all the fun. And maybe i'll grow a mustache and become a hipster too.

Reactions: Woke AF and JDJ

nolibos

OTF status
Oct 24, 2019
Central California
new roswell egg is dope. feels like hpsb disguised as an egg. rails are super foiled out. feels like 2-1/4 but some stringer thickness. paddles and catches waves well and can be pumped and turned like st more hp. feel more confident on the bigger steeper waves on this than any of my wtfo's. great boar.
Yes, the Roswell looks pretty cool. There isn't much/any info on the website about it; is it a single fin ( i've always wanted a single fin, i started surfing just after the end of that era)? What are your dims and what boar dims did you go with? Kinda looking for a mini mid length, if that makes any sense, for the big burgery days we have been getting alot of this last year in Sonoma County.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Yes, the Roswell looks pretty cool. There isn't much/any info on the website about it; is it a single fin ( i've always wanted a single fin, i started surfing just after the end of that era)? What are your dims and what boar dims did you go with? Kinda looking for a mini mid length, if that makes any sense, for the big burgery days we have been getting alot of this last year in Sonoma County.
maybe if u size it up. itz pretty hp with pinched rails. not a cruiser. send tim an email and he can suggest st u want.

Reactions: bigglesworth

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
new roswell egg is dope. feels like hpsb disguised as an egg. rails are super foiled out. feels like 2-1/4 but some stringer thickness. paddles and catches waves well and can be pumped and turned like st more hp. feel more confident on the bigger steeper waves on this than any of my wtfo's. great boar.
Really liked the one I demoed that belonged to my friend.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
maybe if u size it up. itz pretty hp with pinched rails. not a cruiser. send tim an email and he can suggest st u want.
I like the sound of this, I ordered one as part of my quiver overhaul. Did you get yours as a 2+1 (single plus) or a different setup?

tomminator123

OTF status
Dec 22, 2017
any fin suggestions for a sultwinn in the 7 ft range?
run as a twin or twin+trailer.
I have a 6'9" sultwinn twinzer. I use the NVS Nautilus as the main fins which is what Tim recommended. I've used it once as a straight twin and it was pretty fun, but I prefer the little bit of extra hold with the canards in

Reactions: Havoc