Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
pretty much what sbd said. i've had both. plenty of overlap. not that i've ever let that stop me. fuse has more of a fishy front end and probably grovels a little better but the tail width is still fairly moderate like the flare so it's not going to grovel like true mush buster.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Fuse works well as a groveler for me, and I'm just of average ability. No ripper.

That said, I've never owned a true groveler, and I groveled on shortboards for years before getting the Fuse. :shrug:

Reactions: Aruka and oeste858

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Not sure I'd want anything more grovelly TBH. Best part of groveling IMO is when you find a micro-section to shwack. Fuse sets up perfectly for that.

Should I order a WTF just to know for sure? :bricks:
I'm not trying to advocate one way or another but the low end on a WTF is quite a bit lower than something like the Fuse.

They are really fun but definitely a bit of a different vibe than a Fuse which you can pretty much surf like a shortboard.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Fuse works well as a groveler for me, and I'm just of average ability. No ripper.

That said, I've never owned a true groveler, and I groveled on shortboards for years before getting the Fuse. :shrug:
I briefly owned a Fuse and did not click with it, even a little bit. Different strokes.
I’ve always been tempted by various used Flares, but if they feel at all similar to the Fuse, I wouldn’t vibe. Many Stamps boards
look quite attractive to my eye.

Reactions: JDJ

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
There's quite a difference between something like a fuse and lets say a manta, puddle jumper, super fling, album sub, etc.

for me it's connecting the dots when it's really small and gutless where I would sink on something like a fuse. even when I could get by with a fuse, there are times where I'll surf a lot better and have more fun on my album sub.

I've been completely shocked at how fun I've had on horrible days on the sub and I've been out on certain days with my fuse and wished I had the sub if that makes sense.

I have too many fvcking boards.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I could never mentally get on board with the WTF. I know that’s dumb, who cares what it looks like right?! The BentoBox and the FX just seemed more reasonable.

I always liked when my groveler and everyday board came from the same “family“ of boards. For awhile I was only surfing a Stretch Gbuzz and a Speedbuzz. It was so nice and easy sliding back and forth between boards that feel similar. But to everyone’s point the Fuse and Flare are tooooo similar. Maybe FX is the call + Flare.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
The WTF is a sleeper .

It has a low end and a very surprising upper end
How long is too long for a WTF? I've seen a few ordering mega-long versions of these which seems strange... but I clearly don't "get" the grovel category of board.

I'm comically tall and my Fuse is comically short, and I don't think I could get away with riding anything shorter.

Reactions: retodd

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
How long is too long for a WTF? I've seen a few ordering mega-long versions of these which seems strange... but I clearly don't "get" the grovel category of board.

I'm comically tall and my Fuse is comically short, and I don't think I could get away with riding anything shorter.
Ask @retodd