Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Oh yeah, I have a ghost that I've only surfed twice and both times it wasn't really merited, I just wanted to surf it. My buddy who doesn't do the forum thing was curious about one so I will pass along the info. He's been one of those "one surfboard" type guys as long as we've surf together, but moved to SF this year and has been surfing his 5'11" regular ol' GX up to DOH at OB. He said he doesn't want too much more foam, just something with a little more hold so I suggested a stap GX.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Oh yeah, I have a ghost that I've only surfed twice and both times it wasn't really merited, I just wanted to surf it. My buddy who doesn't do the forum thing was curious about one so I will pass along the info. He's been one of those "one surfboard" type guys as long as we've surf together, but moved to SF this year and has been surfing his 5'11" regular ol' GX up to DOH at OB. He said he doesn't want too much more foam, just something with a little more hold so I suggested a stap GX.
My buddy rides a 6-0 GX when it's smaller or mushy and then moves up to a 6-1 V-12 round tail. He asked me to order something for him last year basically saying he wanted the GX feel but more hold. He didn't want to go much longer but still wanted some volume and good paddle. Tim and I went back and forth and settled on the v-12. I haven't ridden the v-12 but it's basically magic boar status for him. It doesn't seem to need a huge, perfect wave but it does seem to come alive once it gets solid.

I had a GX RT and it was really fun but I don't think it has the holding power of something like the V-12.

Reactions: MathDebater

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Different question for a board that I probably should hold off on ordering for a while but.... fug it. Any feedback on the Kai-Zen? Or any other more performance twin models from Tim?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Been surfing these two fins in the El Tomo lately and ive come to conclusion that the surf squared fins are great if you want speed and control, but a little too wide for tight turns.
The Fascination fins felt incredible after putting them back in after riding the surf squared fins for a few days. Super good pivot, but still have nice hold... and the stiffness on the Fascination feels better than the SS.

I was thinking about putting the surf squared on the frontside rail and the fascination fin on the backside rail?
Maybe @Aruka or @retodd can help me figure out what fin would be in between the Surf Squared Keel and the Album Fascination fin? The Fascination fins dont feel like they have enough drive and the surf squared feel a little too wide. Im looking for something with the same template as the fascination, but a little wider? I was thinking maybe the Noel Salsa fins? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Maybe @Aruka or @retodd can help me figure out what fin would be in between the Surf Squared Keel and the Album Fascination fin? The Fascination fins dont feel like they have enough drive and the surf squared feel a little too wide. Im looking for something with the same template as the fascination, but a little wider? I was thinking maybe the Noel Salsa fins? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have the Fascinations. Work fine when I use them as a twinzer, but without the canards no so much. I like the Asher Pacey's in the same board. But then again, I'm also a bit taller and heavier than you. YMMV. Captain Fin McCallum's are also good.

Reactions: Aruka and ReForest

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009

These sound perfect 4 ya

Hope u can find a set

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

These sound perfect 4 ya

Hope u can find a set
I really like these. Kinda best o both worlds: keel and performance twin. Try them if you can @ReForest

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
back to thruster u go....

• Dislike
Reactions: ReForest

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
there's a used 5'4 banjo on craigs...looks decent

a teeny bit too small.

Anyone else wondering - the Banjo's Tim dropped off at Katin are a 5'10, 5'8, and 5'6.

i think the 5'10 is gone already. Hoping that 5'8 sticks around till Saturday but Im not holding my breath.