Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
SBD Flare 2.0 phucs hard

1/4 inch width gave it a touch more curve with a nice pivot while also helping it plane a little better. Extra thickness is very welcomed and feels great when paddling.

It's nice to be back on poly. Just a stable, predictable workhorse of a construction. Got some fun waves today in the size it was made for. Nice lipper to tail drift still has me smilin.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Anybody had a Flare up? Thinking about upcoming fall and winter quiver and I have this gap in the quiver for larger fat waves. Sometimes when sand isn’t good but conditions are clean we get decent sized clean waves that peak up but then have a fat slopey wall. Shortboards, traditional step ups, and grovelors all feel too narrow, short, loose etc but I have a feeling a elongated Flare could go well for some big roundhouses and snaps when the wave sporadically throws a section. My 5’10 Flare has this crazy built in drive that I think would transfer well into a step up. Thoughts?

Reactions: Aruka and tedshred5

bigglesworth

Nep status
Mar 8, 2017
Anybody had a Flare up? Thinking about upcoming fall and winter quiver and I have this gap in the quiver for larger fat waves. Sometimes when sand isn’t good but conditions are clean we get decent sized clean waves that peak up but then have a fat slopey wall. Shortboards, traditional step ups, and grovelors all feel too narrow, short, loose etc but I have a feeling a elongated Flare could go well for some big roundhouses and snaps when the wave sporadically throws a section. My 5’10 Flare has this crazy built in drive that I think would transfer well into a step up. Thoughts?
Got 2 on the way, a 6’2” and a 6’6” i’ll let you know in a couple of weeks.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Weird. I’m tedshred version 5 and I also have a 5’10 Flare, and I’ve also been thinking about a 6’2 Flare Up order for slopey waves with lots of water moving in the fall/winter.

I just got a Banana Fish tho, so I’ve gotta chill

IMG_4147.gif

Last edited:

slipped_disc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2019
I’ve got a 6’1” flare up. Beaut of a board. Love the outline.

It’s fun in shifty slopey waves. But it’s, no surprise, not great in anything too hollow.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I’ve got a 6’1” flare up. Beaut of a board. Love the outline.

It’s fun in shifty slopey waves. But it’s, no surprise, not great in anything too hollow.
Pics?

Wonder if Tim would do one with a pulled in swallowtail

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Weird. I’m tedshred version 5 and I also have a 5’10 Flare, and I’ve also been thinking about a 6’2 Flare Up order for slopey waves with lots of water moving in the fall/winter.

View attachment 184224
I got that 6 varial yolo a few months ago and already jonesing for another fix.

• Haha
Reactions: jkb

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008

View attachment 184224
Was thinking 6’2 as well plus maybe a 6’6 and/or a 6’10 M23 looking mid based off the Flare Up for way overhead paddle power.

Reactions: tedshred5