Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
as i was just cursing someone out in horrible spanglish - i got a call and they found the boards and will be delivering them tomorrow. phew.

btw eat a dick havoc! w/ love :roflmao::nana:
Good to hear that bro. Been in the same situation in Chile. Got the boards 3 days after arrival. Two days without knowing where they were. But I was so lucky, my traveling friend had same weight as me and had some boards. Ended up surfing those first three days boards with same dims as mine…

Reactions: CutnSnip

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Good to hear that bro. Been in the same situation in Chile. Got the boards 3 days after arrival. Two days without knowing where they were. But I was so lucky, my traveling friend had same weight as me and had some boards. Ended up surfing those first three days boards with same dims as mine…
yea will say at least they showed up down there so I had some boards when i needed them. that woulda sucked without them.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
how is the 6'3 length working on the rerun? what is ur flare of gx dims?
I think tim's personal is a 5'10" 20.5"

Horses for courses; longer paddle out where I typically surf so 6'3" works for me. Feels great underfoot. My gx was 6'2" 19 5/'8" 2 7/16 but I was younger and fitter back then.

Reactions: Havoc

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I have the happy problem of not having a favorite out of these three: 5'7" Kai-Zen, 5'8" Flare, 5'6.5" Fuse, when the waves are thigh to HH+ (or when it's 6' Ghost time).

I was devastated when I cracked the Flare's fin box on an errant Torq. I took it to my usual ding guy and while it looked fine, the board lost all its magic. I had Tim check it out and he quickly determined the cant was off 2°. I had someone else do a re-repair and now its back to its former glory.

View attachment 153489
How do you like the varial cabron compared to the others?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
How do you like the varial cabron compared to the others?
It’s by far the lightest and they’re all 4+4/4. My twin is epoxy and the Flare is poly.

I honestly don’t feel a noticeable difference in flex and/or pop, but the waves are really short where I’ve been riding it. I’m lucky to get three turns in on a wave.

I love the board, but I would have gotten epoxy if I ordered the board again. It’s close to being too light and it dents just as easy as their other builds, but without the ability to heat gun out kook dents. My epoxy seems to resist shatters better than the poly.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Tim was interviewed once on the WSL cast about Courtney’s board. I forgot the model. But the announcer asked, “so is this the new pro model that you’re recommending to customers?” And Tim basically said something like, “I don’t recommend any customers who surf near me ride anything close to this board.”

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Tim was interviewed once on the WSL cast about Courtney’s board. I forgot the model. But the announcer asked, “so is this the new pro model that you’re recommending to customers?” And Tim basically said something like, “I don’t recommend any customers who surf near me ride anything close to this board.”
It’s too bad that Courtney missed the cut, she’s so solid in good waves, something that has been lacking on this year’s tour. Tim and I were talking and he’s not sure she’ll do the Challenger Series and may just go into OC real estate.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Wow - can't wait to get them wet...they cover my DD needs. Rails feel so nice, especially the FX!

FX 5'6"x20.5"x2.5" 31.1 L,
Flare 5'7"x19.75"x2.5" 30.3L,
GrinderX 5'9"x19.5"x2.5" 29.9L,
Blindspot 5' 10"x19.38x2.5" 29.5L
flat to curved rocker
IMG_4987.HEIC.png
IMG_4988.HEIC.png

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022
For the punchier I’m running an Indo fish with heater quads and that thing can accelerate.
How is the indo fish going for you? I love Tim's fishes and thinking of ordering something for better waves. Best in hollow sectiony waves or down the line and fast?

Thanks

Reactions: JDJ

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
so sick. futures or fcs? all 5fin? tried any?
whats your weight and height?
All Futures... the Flare, GrinderX, and Blindspot are all 3 fins, and the FX is a quad.

I have tried 3 of them, though I need more time. Waves are looking good starting tomorrow, so I hope to surf the Blindspot here soon.

Some initial thoughts...

I have been hooked on the stock 5' 8" Varial Flare for a few months now. This was fortuitous owing to Varial's sale, as the board is wider than I normally prefer to surf. The 5' 8" has performed well. With that said, the width can be a bit much at times, but I have learned to appreciate the width and learned how to surf the width to inherently benefit from it. However, early on, I was looking for a smaller size so that it could wiggle more, and this is how the customs began by inquiring about 5' 7" Flare to Tim.

I am not sure if the reduction in dimensions for the 5' 7" relative to the 5' 8" were worth it versus the relative gains and losses. Surprisingly, they actually feel like different boards - not sure if it's the construction - Varial versus PU or the dimensions. 5' 8" feels like it ate a fish board and absorbed it into its DNA, whereas the 5' 7" feels like a wider shortboard. 5' 7" wiggles a little better, but at the moment, I prefer the 5' 8", and maybe it's just because I know this board well now. I am looking forward to a better comparison.

5' 9" GrinderX provides more separation and wiggles and moves with more ease. I like the separation more between the 5' 8" Flare and 5'9" GrinderX, where the 5' 7" fall in between the two. GrinderX went very well last week in chest/shoulder to HH. It was easy to surf with more performance. I am very happy with the GrinderX and looking forward to seeing where this board will take my surfing.

I surfed the FX yesterday in crappy waves. It was the first for those summer types of waves, so it was a transition for me and it was crowded. It wasn't my best session. I have more to figure out with this board. I think the fins were too big.