Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Sick. Dims? Bottom pics? No traction pads please!
IMG_0850.jpeg

Not the best photo, but
6'6" 20.75" 2.63" Rerun next step on the left
6'3" 20.5" 2.63" Rerun on the right

I can't make out the volume but my dims are 6'0 170, I've surfed the 6'3" so far and it feels like the perfect amount of float.

Both have quite a low, refined rail that doesn't drop off as sharply away from the deck as most flat-deck designs. It's blended, I can see a bit of flat-deckness if I look closely but from a a few feet away it looks normal.

First impressions on the 6'3" Rerun: it's like a GX which paddles/catches waves better and carries more speed through flat spots.

I ran TP1's which is my usual fin and it felt like it had a ton of drive, more so than I usually get from shortboards with this fin. Not sure if that is from the straight-cut swallow or another factor. I've never had a swallow-tail shortboard before so perhaps too many independent variables in the mix at the moment.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
besides being an amazing board shaper, Tim has one of the best customer service situations in all surfboard retail. My boards never showed up at the airport on the way home. One email to Tim last night at 7pm for invoices for the boards lost - literally had them emailed to me 4 minutes later. guy is such a legend.

and btw - fuck Volaris. avoid at all costs.

Leonardo

OTF status
Aug 10, 2020
View attachment 153471

Not the best photo, but

I can't make out the volume but my dims are 6'0 170, I've surfed the 6'3" so far and it feels like the perfect amount of float.

Both have quite a low, refined rail that doesn't drop off as sharply away from the deck as most flat-deck designs. It's blended, I can see a bit of flat-deckness if I look closely but from a a few feet away it looks normal.

First impressions on the 6'3" Rerun: it's like a GX which paddles/catches waves better and carries more speed through flat spots.

I ran TP1's which is my usual fin and it felt like it had a ton of drive, more so than I usually get from shortboards with this fin. Not sure if that is from the straight-cut swallow or another factor. I've never had a swallow-tail shortboard before so perhaps too many independent variables in the mix at the moment.
stunning surfboards!

Reactions: bigglesworth

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
besides being an amazing board shaper, Tim has one of the best customer service situations in all surfboard retail. My boards never showed up at the airport on the way home. One email to Tim last night at 7pm for invoices for the boards lost - literally had them emailed to me 4 minutes later. guy is such a legend.

and btw - fook Volaris. avoid at all costs.
Volaris, one and done for me. Horrible.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
View attachment 153471

Not the best photo, but

what are the bottom contours like? do either of these boards have Vee out the tail?

my next order will definitely have a ReRun of some sort.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
View attachment 153471

Not the best photo, but

straight cut swallowtail and TP1s are a winning friggin combo in my opinion. one of my favorite tri sets

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I have the happy problem of not having a favorite out of these three: 5'7" Kai-Zen, 5'8" Flare, 5'6.5" Fuse, when the waves are thigh to HH+ (or when it's 6' Ghost time).

I was devastated when I cracked the Flare's fin box on an errant Torq. I took it to my usual ding guy and while it looked fine, the board lost all its magic. I had Tim check it out and he quickly determined the cant was off 2°. I had someone else do a re-repair and now its back to its former glory.

Stumps.jpeg

Leonardo

OTF status
Aug 10, 2020
I have the happy problem of not having a favorite out of these three: 5'7" Kai-Zen, 5'8" Flare, 5'6.5" Fuse, when the waves are thigh to HH+ (or when it's 6' Ghost time).

I was devastated when I cracked the Flare's fin box on an errant Torq. I took it to my usual ding guy and while it looked fine, the board lost all its magic. I had Tim check it out and he quickly determined the cant was off 2°. I had someone else do a re-repair and now its back to its former glory.

View attachment 153489
YEah Chase. Way to do it. Give us some more pictures and ride reviews on those beauties!!

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
View attachment 153471

Not the best photo, but

how is the 6'3 length working on the rerun? what is ur flare of gx dims?

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Does Tim's shop glass the Varials, or does Varial do it? I've had shaper glassed Varials that felt/ rode like Surftechs

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Customer service and "surprise" luggage deals only to be treated like crap when trying to understand what they were charging for. Insane.
im on day 5 and no one tells me whether the boards are considered lost or still on the way - but get mad at me for calling to ask :foreheadslap: Ive done everything I can do on my end and still a bag of dicks.

then they tell me go to the airport as if its right on the corner here. then I ask - where at the airport? what time is good to go? is their a number i can call? more dickhead responses.

I just want closure - if they deem the boards lost and dont plan on paying - my credit card will cover it but the case needs to be closed for me to file a claim.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
im on day 5 and no one tells me whether the boards are considered lost or still on the way - but get mad at me for calling to ask :foreheadslap: Ive done everything I can do on my end and still a bag of dicks.

then they tell me go to the airport as if its right on the corner here. then I ask - where at the airport? what time is good to go? is their a number i can call? more dickhead responses.

I just want closure - if they deem the boards lost and dont plan on paying - my credit card will cover it but the case needs to be closed for me to file a claim.
mods please move this to the foil forum.

• Haha
Reactions: CutnSnip