Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
About 8" from the rear dot to the tip of the swallow and add an 1/8" to the actual trailing edge of the fin. I saw a note from Tim to Varial: "set @ 5°, offset box + 1/2" forward for twin fin set". To me it looks like they (the dots) were moved rearward. I sent a note/image to Tim to clarify things. The fins in the image are Mick Fanning's. I haven't put any others in to see if they're a little north of the rear dot as well.

I only got a handful marginal waves this am, so I need a few more days and possibly some fin experimentation before I can really comment. The rails are harder/more tucked than my 5'8 Flare, which the Kai-Zen is based off of.

Immediate thoughts were that it didn't like being driven off my front foot as much as my Flare, but coming off the bottom for the couple of bashes I got in felt pretty good and I felt like I could control the recovery out of the lip really well.

IMG_2066.jpg

Last edited:

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
My only experience with Octopus pads was on some Awayco'd boards from Haydeshapes when they were across the street from my office in El Segundo. Looks like HS is now gone from LA and have relocated to Oceanside.

Maybe it was just that my knees were used to whatever I had been using at the time and the change in material/texture made my skin freak. Back then it was probably FCS pads since I could get them for pretty cheap.

I do remember being shocked how quickly the pads bugged my knees. I was paddling like a Covid kook (this was pre Covid) within a half hour trying to keep my knees off the board.
Had you recently gotten a promotion at work or perhaps had to find a way to get out of a speeding ticket?

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
Been surfing Flares for years but on another note it's time to replace my lost rnf retro and I have my eye on the quantum quad.. seems like it would be fun in pretty much anything in socal but i'm curious if others here have input on its range? I'm thinking of ordering it with a little extra length/volume than i usually would because I like the float/cruise on fishy boards

Aug 29, 2014
Hughhhhh. I'm on Flares and had a Quantum that I surfed the big dickens out of. It was a bit narrower / longer and loved it in longer lined up waves. Had a few sessions at a head high point that are burned in my mind. I replaced it with a shorter wider FX, stoked on that too. Ran the quantum with standard quads, for me was stiff with keel templates.

Aug 18, 2022
Banjo fans,

Been daydreaming about a longer version twinzer banjo or a twinzer fuse in the 6'6 range for mega crowd paddle around ability for da weekend swarms. I saw @laidback sold a fuse in this length recently. Wondering what pros/ cons there would be to a longer fuse or if I should just go with a longer fish design from Stampers? Would love a couple cents to fondle the imagination. May bug Tim for input via e-mail soon too

Reactions: MathDebater and JDJ