Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
from the man himself-

the Flare model became the Kai-Zen twin after a few adjustments. the Flare would work well as a twin too... just a bit more curve and a couple other small tweaks.
And then asking about the spark plug as a follow up -

the spark plug, compared to the flare and GX, has a lower tail rocker. the nose is about the same as the flare. the outline is a bit 'straighter' from the wind to just ahead of the fin. also in the fin area the deck contour is a bit 'flatter' and pinched toward the rail apex to let it dig in easier and hold more. the bottom contours are more subtle and the rail apex and tuck are a bit tighter. it's a pretty different animal than the flare and gX.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
what was the reason, cause you like your flare?

Dang so far only two sessions on my flare and I love it but I really like the rocker on my spark plug too
Yeah, I assume so (because I love my Flare). Tim really didn't get into why he was pointing me more in the direction of the Kai-zen. I mentioned that I liked how my Twinsman rode in better than average waves but didn't like the underarm feel of the rail transition to the flat deck and his response was:

"i can do different rails on the twin fins..
i have the flatter 70/80's deck profile on some as 'stock, kind of a blended on others, and the 'stanard' deck rail profile.
i know some don't really like the flatter deck, angular rail thing.
sounds like my Kaizen might be up your alley! i can do that one with a wing in it if you want that pivot off the break in the outline."

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
What was it based off of? Tim was recommending the Kaizen as a starting point and tweaking some things when I asked him for an HP twin recommendation.
not sure..keel twinnie..my former next door neighbor ordered a Stamps box fin twinnie as well, certainly upped his game.
Tim is so easy to work with, almost always responds to emails the next day. My first order? over a dozen emails before pinning it down.I was expecting a surcharge for his time responding..lol
ping him, tell him what you're thinkin of, he'lll take you there..

Reactions: j_mac and ChaseTMP

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Yeah, I assume so (because I love my Flare). Tim really didn't get into why he was pointing me more in the direction of the Kai-zen. I mentioned that I liked how my Twinsman rode in better than average waves but didn't like the underarm feel of the rail transition to the flat deck and his response was:

"i can do different rails on the twin fins..
i have the flatter 70/80's deck profile on some as 'stock, kind of a blended on others, and the 'stanard' deck rail profile.
i know some don't really like the flatter deck, angular rail thing.
sounds like my Kaizen might be up your alley! i can do that one with a wing in it if you want that pivot off the break in the outline."
when I mentioned my previous hangups on flat decks he said don’t worry I can do your rails and it will work just fine.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
If you love the Flare, then the Kai Zen makes sense, especially if Tim will add a wing. Sounds epic.

Can't lose. I've owned a Spark Plug and Spark Box, and I've ridden my friend's Kai Zen. They're all good. Tim has ridden and made these boards for a long time.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
can't get off this wtfo. gonna talk to tim about a better wave version. maybe 1-2" longer, 1/2" narrower, and slightly more rocker. my rails are super foiled out and when i picked it up he said "lil more refined than the others." the thing just goes and despite what the shred police laidslack says, u can still carve and do closeout re-entries. felt like a skatepark today on it. stocked. fave boar in the quiver rn. this stamps duuu keeps making me magic rides.

Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
can't get off this wtfo. gonna talk to tim about a better wave version. maybe 1-2" longer, 1/2" narrower, and slightly more rocker. my rails are super foiled out and when i picked it up he said "lil more refined than the others." the thing just goes and despite what the shred police laidslack says, u can still carve and do closeout re-entries. felt like a skatepark today on it. stocked. fave boar in the quiver. this stamps duuu keeps making me magic rides.
What dims on this one?

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I’m meeting up with Tim this Thursday to dial-in my Kai-zen twin, Varial blank and their going to do their Infused Glass.

I’ve had good luck on my other three Varial builds and love, love, love my 5’8 Flare, so I’m pretty confident Tim will knock it out of the park with whatever he puts his hands on.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I think the DSF is my favorite. It’s easily the best 2+1 that I’ve tried. But they’re all great. Shadow is an underrated design.

Reactions: sublime74