Tiger Woods cut out of his roll-over with the ‘jaws of life’ this morning!

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Jaguar America invited me to a performance driving academy after I bought a new XKR/S. Turn 1 at LS, a left sweeper is indeed a bit of a challenge after coming down the long straight. The cork-screw is most ‘dangerous’ if you don’t line up properly with the tree opposite the apex. Don’t ask me how I know o_O

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Jaguar America invited me to a performance driving academy after I bought a new XKR/S. Turn 1 at LS, a left sweeper is indeed a bit of a challenge after coming down the long straight. The cork-screw is most ‘dangerous’ if you don’t line up properly with the tree opposite the apex. Don’t ask me how I know o_O
I hope they didn't make you use your own new car! Turning left off a two story building all "hope this line works"

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
HA HA! No, they wouldn’t let us use our own cars. They had a fleet of the XKR models for us to use. My driving coach, Davey Jones had wins or Poles at Le Mans, Indy, Daytona, etc., and was very patient with me :)

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Random comment: wife and I loved Ford V Ferrari on first and second watch. Can’t imagine doing 200+ for hours on end, napping a few hours, getting back in the saddle, doing it all again a few times. I got my 328i up to 150 on a flat empty ocean parkway (Waze on Of course, i don’t need the hassles and $ of a reckless endangerment charge) and I can’t imagine 200+, and then the turns, the night driving etc.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Fastest car ride in my life was with my wife driving a track prepared 911S in the 1970s, down the back straight at Holtville a bit over 145 (the car performance trophies in our home are mostly hers). Not as scary as riding with McQueen to get Chinese take-out around 1968-69...

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I rented a mustang once in Dallas for annual Xmas visit to my sisters. The guy working the desk said “yeah she might start rattling a little when you get going fast, but once you hit 125 she levels right out for ya!” props to that guy for encouraging me to drive really freaking fast lol

• Haha
Reactions: john4surf

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Fastest car ride in my life was with my wife driving a track prepared 911S in the 1970s, down the back straight at Holtville a bit over 145 (the car performance trophies in our home are mostly hers). Not as scary as riding with McQueen to get Chinese take-out around 1968-69...
Fvckin Holtville. Were you there for the regionals when he had the Porsche 910 hill climb car?

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Fvckin Holtville. Were you there for the regionals when he had the Porsche 910 hill climb car?
I wish! We did the time trials route at Holtville maybe 2 dozen times in the 1970s and ‘80s with the PCA. I did get a ride in a 904 and a RSK Spyder that had me giggling like a school girl at the drive-in! Wish I could have driven them!

• Love
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I rented a mustang once in Dallas for annual Xmas visit to my sisters. The guy working the desk said “yeah she might start rattling a little when you get going fast, but once you hit 125 she levels right out for ya!” props to that guy for encouraging me to drive really freaking fast lol
Rented a shitty Nissan something and did maybe 120 or 170 or something like that on the autobahn
It was real fun

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
What was Chinese food like in the 60's?

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Chinese food in the States not quite like it was in Taiwan (Mandarin and Formosan ‘cuisine’) or Hong Kong (Cantonese). I think the Chinese food industry was sensitive to American tastes and went far lighter on the garlic than what we ate in Asia. True to form, I had to pick up the tab as my driver “forgot” his wallet.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Chinese food in the States not quite like it was in Taiwan (Mandarin and Formosan ‘cuisine’) or Hong Kong (Cantonese). I think the Chinese food industry was sensitive to American tastes and went far lighter on the garlic than what we ate in Asia. True to form, I had to pick up the tab as my driver “forgot” his wallet.
My dad, after the 60’s, noted the change from legit style orange beef or whatever, into the highly sweetened Chinese dishes we get today from or at your average wok spot. There are still high end Chinese joints in the city that do it right, and of course in China town