Tide watch with sunrise/sunset on face?

Jan 14, 2016
My trusty (well, not exactly trusty) Nixon Supertide died recently, and I am hoping to find another watch with my favorite feature. I really liked the way the tide display was set up so you could, at glance, get a quick estimate of the tide height at sunset/sunrise. See attached photo. Anybody know of any other tide watches with this feature?

Nixon.jpg

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Had a conversation with a workmate just yesterday. Nixon's watch quality is the shittest quality I've ever had. 3 watches, 3 different watch death occasions. I've not found another brand's watch that I like the tide info as much as I do on my Nixon lodown 2, so keep getting the thing fixed at the Nixon repairer.

Jan 14, 2016
Agree 100%. I owned two... one that I would wear while the other one was in the shop. Wish I was exaggerating. The sad news is that the last time I sent one in, they kept it and sent me a gift certificate. Now the other one has died, and I don't want to send it in them.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Just a heads up about there new Tide models (Base tide/Base tide pro)....they are not created equal in terms of tide accuracy goes. I got the smaller base tide model because I liked the jellyfish looking band and smaller face than realized that it gets off at times after you set it since it just uses the universal calculation. The pro model has preprogrammed tide info for different spots which is more accurate. Made me upset when I realized it and was headed back to Nixon to return it but than lost focus when I passed a firing break and ended up surfing the rest of the day. Now I still have it, haha.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
... oh, and I had one analogue Nixon watch, the the minute arm physically fell off its axle inside the watch.

RipCurl does a Rifles watch which seems good. I have a Ripcurl analogue titanium watch that's lasted since forever.

The Rifles Beer buckler one is my favourite, because beer

This one looks like the t!ts though, but a bit exxy

Last edited:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
My phone has an app for that.

I wear a watch because it tells me the time without additional distracting information.
I can look at the tide, without any additional distractions.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If you want to wear a watch while surfing this is the one to buy:

They run around $40 - $80 depending on the retailer. And they last. It's an actual watch that was made to be used in the water and take a beating. It's a but of a cult thing I've come to realize over the years - anytime someone sees me wearing it who has the same watch they'l comment - "Best watch ever, right?"

If you surf a lot those surf brand watches will maybe last you a year at beast...more likely 3 - 6 months. Forget about them lasting through bigger powerful waves. They're actually not designed for surfing or being in the water - those in the know have told me they're basically fashion watches made to shitty standards in fashion watch factories in China.

Don't get me started on the hassle that comes from making a warranty claim or getting a watch fixed from fashion "surf" watch companies like Nixon or Freestyle. UTTER JOKE.

You can get the tide anywhere - your phone, your computer, a paper tide table so you don't need it on your watch.

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

They run around $40 - $80 depending on the retailer. And they last. It's an actual watch that was made to be used in the water and take a beating. It's a but of a cult thing I've come to realize over the years - anytime someone sees me wearing it who has the same watch they'l comment - "Best watch ever, right?"

If you surf a lot those surf brand watches will maybe last you a year at beast...more likely 3 - 6 months. Forget about them lasting through bigger powerful waves. They're actually not designed for surfing or being in the water - those in the know have told me they're basically fashion watches made to shitty standards in fashion watch factories in China.

Don't get me started on the hassle that comes from making a warranty claim or getting a watch fixed from fashion "surf" watch companies like Nixon or Freestyle. UTTER JOKE.

You can get the tide anywhere - your phone, your computer, a paper tide table so you don't need it on your watch.
I’m debating getting a 5700 when my current 5600 gives up the ghost.

Reactions: Aruka

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'll third Casio, but I go with this one. I hate having a bulky watch under my suit. This thing is really thin, lasts me 3-4 years, and it's only $10.

1572013154893.png

Jan 14, 2016
Just a heads up about there new Tide models (Base tide/Base tide pro)....they are not created equal in terms of tide accuracy goes. I got the smaller base tide model because I liked the jellyfish looking band and smaller face than realized that it gets off at times after you set it since it just uses the universal calculation. The pro model has preprogrammed tide info for different spots which is more accurate. Made me upset when I realized it and was headed back to Nixon to return it but than lost focus when I passed a firing break and ended up surfing the rest of the day. Now I still have it, haha.
That's a good tip, thanks!

Jan 14, 2016

Excellent points! I still like having the tide right... Bam. There. See, I just checked the tide while I was typing this. It's, uh, somewhere between high and low. Pretty sure. :p

Jan 14, 2016
... oh, and I had one analogue Nixon watch, the the minute arm physically fell off its axle inside the watch.

RipCurl does a Rifles watch which seems good. I have a Ripcurl analogue titanium watch that's lasted since forever.

The Rifles Beer buckler one is my favourite, because beer

This one looks like the t!ts though, but a bit exxy

Good suggestions, thanks. Is that last one really $700? :0. The reason I haven't bought one of the Rip Curls is because the tide display seems to me to be subtly less useful than the Nixon, as far as I can tell. On the Nixon, the dark and light coloring indicates daylight hours. On the Rip Curl, the dark/light coloring seems to only indicate rising or falling tide, which is redundant information due to the graph and my mad skills in trigonometry.

Last edited: