Thunderbolt construction - anyone have feedback

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
Coming to the font of surfboard knowledge - I happened to see some longboards constructed in "Thunderbolt" technology at a shop. Seemed really light, did a bit of googling and it seems like a few different shapers are having boards constructed in this tech

The company has a pretty polished video of the construction - stringer less EPS blank, some reinforcements to control flex, different lamination levels (ill find a link to video)

Was wondering if anyone has ridden one, broken one or have any feedback on them?

Thanks
Jim

Last edited:

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
There is nothing proprietary. Every tech in surfboards had been done 10 time better in the aircraft and boating industries.

That being said, anything is better than 4 oz e cloth.

Reactions: GDaddy

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Any ride reports by now? Or experiences with CJ Nelson's shapes in general, particularly sprout or neo classic?

Haven't owned a log in ages, looking for a durable, user-friendly noserider.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Still waiting for a ride report as well. Would love to try a Guerro in this construction.

Longboard season is soon approaching.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Recently sold to Firewire... but I havent gotten to the bottom as to whether FW is now making them, or they're simply distribution and still made in Japan.

Jamboards has a recent thread or two on the subject.

Reactions: kool-aid

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Still waiting for a ride report as well. Would love to try a Guerro in this construction.

Longboard season is soon approaching.
I have one, the construction is very very heavy, feels like a traditional log and is very durable. I suck at longboarding so i cant surf it very well. hard to catch waves for me but thats more a factor of the design than the construction.

I believe thunderbolt is designed in japan, made in china

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
Two friends have the Harley Ingleby longboards - one the red and the other the black. Both catch plenty waves :mad:, and they have plenty fun on them. Too light for my liking.

Dec 18, 2014
Recently sold to Firewire... but I havent gotten to the bottom as to whether FW is now making them, or they're simply distribution and still made in Japan.

Jamboards has a recent thread or two on the subject.
Seems more like they have a distribution deal with FW. Factory (owned/run by Japanese guy) is in China. Same place that made Tropical Blend and Flight SUPs.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I have one, the construction is very very heavy, feels like a traditional log and is very durable. I suck at longboarding so i cant surf it very well. hard to catch waves for me but thats more a factor of the design than the construction.

Wow really?? I thought the value add was that they were lighter and cheaper? Maybe it's just that they're cheaper??

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017

You happen to know if that's in the silver construction?

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Wow really?? I thought the value add was that they were lighter and cheaper? Maybe it's just that they're cheaper??
Definitely not cheaper, they are about 1.5k here in Europe, similar to a tinted christenson

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
That Ingleby Mid6 looks good. Goes much better than a CI Mid, from the videos I've seen.

That CJ Nelson Outlier surprised me too. Looks very free and fast and smooth. Anyone ever ride one?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
they are very popular here among the longboard crowd.
pushed hard here by Hawaiian Southshore
a bunch of other designers are using the tech now
Light, strong with flex
It's a carbon warp so it's expensive as sht even used unlike a surftech or firewire

The mid-6 looks like a good one board quiver for traveling