Thoughts?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
The problem is that helmets are used as a tool to knock people out on purpose.

Take their helmets away, problem solved.

1664584236735.jpeg

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
This is a hard one. Brain injuries are well known in football now. The Dolphins should have protected their asset, but the players assume the risk.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
All 4 of those dudes weigh about as much as 2 NFL O or D-Linemen
Well, if they can't use helmets to knock people out, they may have to get fitter.

Helmet is literally used as a viable tactical weapon. Take that away and players will think twice about headbutting oponnents when tackling.
Why can't they make a clean tackle without a helmet?

At the very least make helmet knock downs illegal.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Rugby tackles are more of a wraparound style (and is still a rough sport, don't get me wrong). American football is more about the collision at maximum impact.

Pads don't protect the person being hit, they protect the person doing the hitting.
Yea true. It’s a weird one to research into, and I totally get what fecal is saying. Some sources have rugby a higher rate while others have football and some other sports ranked higher.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Rugby tackles are more of a wraparound style (and is still a rough sport, don't get me wrong). American football is more about the collision at maximum impact.

Pads don't protect the person being hit, they protect the person doing the hitting.
I don’t know about that. If I was a punt returner and about to get steamrolled by a guy that had a 30 yard running head of steam I’d rather not test your theory.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don’t know about that. If I was a punt returner and about to get steamrolled by a guy that had a 30 yard running head of steam I’d rather not test your theory.
The pads on the big guy allow him to hit the punter at maximum speed and impact. The punter is not getting much protection from those pads.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The pads on the big guy allow him to hit the punter at maximum speed and impact. The punter is not getting much protection from those pads.
Punt returner. Not punter. Huge difference in speed at the point of collision.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

When I played football the term we used was, “Stick ‘em!” meaning lower your head and shoulder and run into them as hard as you can whether blocking or tackling. I was a flyweight safety, more often getting stuck than sticking. My career ended with some fractured ribs and I was honestly happy to be over it. I did miss the practices in the mud though.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Worst Fvckin sport ever
You simply don't get it. It's the most complex and chess-like sport, by miles.

Then again you are also the guy that called a pudgy pro skateboarder one of the world's best athletes, so your statement doesn't carry much weight either way :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf