Thoughts on the Pyzel Screaming Eagle foil board?

Dec 11, 2019
Thinking about getting the Screaming Eagle foil board by Pyzel. As far as foils go, are they any good compared to others? what brand of foil is the best to use with it? Cheers!

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Lots of people think foiling is about riding waves on a foil. It isn’t.

Its about buying stuff repeatedly, only to quickly realise you should’ve bought something else.....within 3 months of getting a 5’0” you’ll wish you had a wide 4’6”. 3 weeks later, you’ll be eying off the whorish 4’2” across the car park.....The circle of life.

I don’t think the Pyzel or the JS for that matter are built strong enough. The punishment prone boards get from riders and rocks is no joke. You will kill those boxes in no time at all. They need to be engineered properly. They also lack some useful foil stuff like chine rails....

I don’t know where you’re located but I would go for something like this;

1578559375442.png

Or this

Dec 11, 2019
Cheers! that's a great response.
I'm in Australia so I will be looking for something similar around here

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I am far from pro, so take this with the grain of salt. I am quite skeptical of the need for super high-end and refined boards for surf foiling. Seems to me it needs to have enough flotation to paddle and catch waves, but once up on foil there's not much to it other than a platform. I have a friend with a standard 6'6" firewire thruster with stick on foil mount and he's doing quite well on it. I made a 5'0" fat n ugly copy of an Amundson Nubby (more or less) and it seems to be working fine, really simple board. My only complaint is that the big fat nose with little rocker can sometimes catch on white water takeoffs. I've just finished another board, copy of a more tricked out Armstrong 4'11", with big concave chines, lots of bottom concave, more nose rocker -- only used it once in terrible conditions, so the jury's still out on it, but definitely doesn't paddle as nice. I'll be bringing ol' reliable to the beach too just in case.

So ... I guess my advice is keep it simple, don't break the bank on your board, better to spend more on your foil and find something used and cheap(er) to ride it. Or if you do happen to have lots of extra cash falling out of your pockets, then I'll send you links to sexy rocket ships to get the juices flowing. :cool:

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
I think this is the board you're referring to. I'd remembered seeing these before. I like the outline, I don't like the track mount boxes. Just about all foil boards made here in HI have high density foam that the track boxes are inserted to, and then that is inserted into the board. There's also a large carbon patch laid on top to further strengthen the stress point. I don't see any of that going on here with the $995 Pyzel. Also, most foil boards made here are of sandwich construction or full carbon wraps. You can get a custom KT here on Maui for about $800 that will be bulletproof. I think Amundson on O'ahu are the same. You're going to pay alot of money, you want these things to hold up.

High density insert

1578673841286.jpeg

If you're in Australia, I'd look into JP, Naish, Jimmy Lewis...they are all experienced in making strong foil boards.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I have no connection with Pyzel, but playing devil's advocate: how do you know they aren't using HD foam and composite construction? Assuming that board above has been tinted/painted, you can't see the construction details. I'd be pretty surprised if any name board producer these days would install mast boxes without using high density foam.

Despite my cynical response above about unnecessary foilboard design/features, I agree with Kaser that strength of the foil mount is crucial! There's so much force on these tracks, especially once pumping. It would be worth asking the question, how those tracks are installed, before buying any board.

But I do agree that

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I have no connection with Pyzel, but playing devil's advocate: how do you know they aren't using HD foam and composite construction? Assuming that board above has been tinted/painted, you can't see the construction details. I'd be pretty surprised if any name board producer these days would install mast boxes without using high density foam.
You can see the future boxes go straight into the blank on the example above.

There are a few makers that forego The HD cassette. One I know of drops the boxes between dual stringers in a poly blank....they crack.

I’m not a fan of the prebuilt cassettes myself, as they are usually cemented in with resin\Qcell and the stress can’t dissipate gently to the soft EPS surroundin....leading to cracks. Much better to pour the foam in place, it almost bombproof if you spread the skin load with carbon.

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
IMO this guy makes the best custom foil boards in Oz.

Don't go too large on volume, these boards have heaps of bouancy per/litre & paddle really well for their size.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
He’s right about the quick changes you will find you want as your ability progresses, but totally wrong about boxes blowing out being a big problem (at least with how we build them). We make a newer design called the Pinball Wizard that is very up to date design wise (I foil a lot when the surf is shitty, so always working on updates). We build them with dual stringers that are perfectly set up to support the boxes and have had literally NO problems with them blowing out. Check my website and look under “Funfromace ”boards to find the Pinball Wizard info and pics

Reactions: Waterlogged05